My Weekly Liver Meal

I ate beef kidney a couple times lately. It's very inexpensive and the butcher said a lot of people buy it to feed to their dogs. 🤣🤣🤣

It smelled awful when I cut it into chunks, and I was afraid I ruined my chicken broth with it when I added it, but it came out very good. If you add enough butter to the broth, and some pink salt, vegetables, and garlic, the flavor of the kidney blended right in and it actually tasted fairly well. But I couldn't imagine eating kidney all by itself. You have to know how to cook to make it palatable.
The preparation is what's important. Remove the membrane, cut them in half and remove the fat and veins. Then soak them in milk for about an hour before cooking. Delicious stuff.

Liver is an acquired test for most ! i would expect more comments like that.
I eat liver because it's the most nutrient dense food on earth and it makes me feel well and balanced. The 1st 2 or 3 times I ate liver recently were really remarkable. My body was really needing something in liver really bad. Probably the copper. Taste really doesn't have much to do with it.
Liver cooked in the right way is quite good to my taste buds, and good quality grass fed beef doesn't compare to supermarket beef. Plus I cook it in lard, ghee, or coconut oil.
It's all part of the PHD and the RCP / Perfect Health Diet and Root Cause Protocol.
They're into food as medicine and not meds.
I'm 69 and I don't and won't take meds.

I totally understand how some of you people don't eat the way I eat.
I had changed the way I ate many times over the years and was trying a plant based diet when I realized, the older you get, the more protein you need, not less. I had trouble digesting meats but found that taking more magnesium I can now digest meat about as good as I ever did. Plus I cook a lot of my poultry and other meat in my Crock Pot so I can make soup out of the broth, and the broth helps you digest the meat. :)
I eat liver once a week because it balances me. It's a functional food and I go with the "let they food be thy medicine" line.
If I can learn to appreciate the foods that truly make me healthy, then IMHO I've got it licked. I don't eat things like ice cream and cake which would spoil my taste buds for the most health promoting foods like liver, meat, and vegetables. I only eat meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds, a little goat cheese, and some good bread 1-2x a week.
I don't do well on processed foods. I cook my own food 99.9% of the time. It may be bland at times but it nourishes me and that's all I really care about.

I just had chicken soup with Swiss chard, Russet potatoes, chick peas, onions, and ghee.
well said. I'm raising three granddaughters and we grow most of the vegetables we eat. We intentionally avoid chemical fertilizer and pesticide. I'm teaching them like my grandmother taught me over 50yrs ago. That extra rich "taste" you get in home/naturally grown is actually vitamins and minerals.

My weekly meal of grass fed beef liver with stir fried broccoli, onions, plantain, and zucchini, and red potatoes.
I've found that eating liver once a week balances me and is an important source of bioavailable copper, Vit A, choline, and heme iron that builds red blood cells.
And it tastes good. I've also had store bought beef liver lately that was also very good.
I eat 7 oysters a week for zinc -- works better than any zinc supplement ever did.
And I eat 3-4 eggs a day for selenium, protein, and choline.

I drove 20 miles to get 3 pounds of good grass fed liver, it's worth the drive.

View attachment 51098
I used to eat it with my wife 40 years ago cause she liked it. My liking was 1 part liver, one bacon and 3 parts grilled onions minimum.

Never had liver before but I’d give it a taste if someone made it. Aren’t you supposed to limit consumption of organ meats? This coming from someone who doesn’t watch what he eats and could use some more vegetables mixed into his diet.

I eat liver because it's the most nutrient dense food on earth and it makes me feel well and balanced. The 1st 2 or 3 times I ate liver recently were really remarkable. My body was really needing something in liver really bad. Probably the copper. Taste really doesn't have much to do with it.
Liver cooked in the right way is quite good to my taste buds, and good quality grass fed beef doesn't compare to supermarket beef. Plus I cook it in lard, ghee, or coconut oil.
It's all part of the PHD and the RCP / Perfect Health Diet and Root Cause Protocol.
They're into food as medicine and not meds.
I'm 69 and I don't and won't take meds.
My grandmother used to make liver and onions on occasion!
she would batter it with flour salt and pepper then soak it in milk i didn't mind it like that every so often.
she also did beef heart that was outstanding ! that i could eat every day.
Good for you on not taking meds ! I'm 53 and like you do not take meds and hope i never have to (but i doubt it )

Thanks for sharing your original post and pictures Mr. Luke. My career involves working with people from all over the world and I simply love learning about the food, culture, likes/dislikes, etc. of others. The recent post on the fresh crayfish boil made me jealous. I will try just about anything and I enjoy a lot of foods that others have biases against. One of the worst I may have ever had was stinky tofu from Taiwan. It really reminded me of cow manure. I have yet to try fried guinea pig, a favorite of a Bolivian professor I worked with.

Last edited:
Never had liver before but I’d give it a taste if someone made it. Aren’t you supposed to limit consumption of organ meats? This coming from someone who doesn’t watch what he eats and could use some more vegetables mixed into his diet.
Organ meats in general are 10 to 100x more nutrient dense than muscle meats which is why we only eat liver 1x a week.
At other times of the week I may eat beef kidney, or grass fed ground beef.
With liver 1x a week, there is no need to take cod liver oil or vitamin A supplements because I think a 4 oz serving of beef liver contains about 50,000 IU of fat soluble Vitamin A. We err on the side of caution with Vit A because hypervitaminosis A is not a nice thing to get (but it would be better than Vitamin A deficiency.)

Last edited:
Try eating 2 oysters a day for a few days guys, and probably girls if there are any here. It's like an aphrodisiac for me.
As you age, your hormones will often weaken, but zinc from oysters will fix that in a hurry. If you've lost your libido oysters will bring it back.

Try eating 2 oysters a day for a few days guys, and probably girls if there are any here. It's like an aphrodisiac for me.
As you age, your hormones will often weaken, but zinc from oysters will fix that in a hurry. If you've lost your libido oysters will bring it back.
I’m 6 days behind so best have a dozen for lunch 😷

There’s an old saying I’ve heard repeated all of my life. : “eat fish live longer, eat oysters love longer”. :love:

liver is a nutritional powerhouse IF you like the taste. being older + less picky i try most anything especially if its a noted good food, BUT have yet to handle it!!

The best thing to do is add many other foods when you cook it to help mask the flavor: garlic, soy sauce, ghee, coconut milk etc.
Some grass fed beef liver tastes more like steak to me.
I don't care much what it tastes like, I know it does me good so I eat it anyway.

I don't remember this, but Mum told me that when I was quite young she tried me on liver for the first time. I had my first bite and asked "What is liver?"

Mum replied "Liver is a very good kind of meat!"

I allegedly replied "No, liver is trying to be meat."

I did have a recipe called "Liver Goop on Rice", and made it a few times when I was in my mid-20s. It was actually pretty good.

Back