My sister had a weird experience at Wal-Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
My younger sister got off work and went to Wal-Mart to buy a few things. She only wanted to buy a gallon of milk and some canned tuna.
She said an employee came up to her and said your not allowed to carry items, they must be in a cart or in a basket. And he tried handing her a basket.
She told the guy whatever and walked off. My sister said he was serious and it didn't look like he was joking and he had two baskets. She is 6'2". I think the guy did it
to see if she was a woman or not, but you never know.

When I read the post, my first thought was " Only One Weird Experience? " The cops come to my Walmart so often they could save gas and install a Walmart Cop permanently.

Originally Posted by dave1251
That guy is being a four letter word. She should have slapped him. Punk.

Walmart is where trashy people go and the company has been combating theft for decades, moreso this past year. They'll do anything to prevent theft to protect their profit margins. I'm surprised how most products are behind glass now, every fire exit being videotaped and having lot cops on every corner at a parking lot.

Last edited:
Who can find a basket at Walmart?

I routinely carry a bunch of stuff that often touches my chin.

But many years ago on a very hot day I picked up a $2.00 Styrofoam cooler put it in my cart and filled it with rolls of frozen turkey. (For dogs). I paid and hung around waiting for my friend and eventually pushed the cart outside towards my car. Outside someone put his hand on my shoulder and asked what was in the cooler. I figured it was store security and said frozen turkey. He looked at my sales slip and through the cooler and said "oh yeah, frozen turkey". ironically he (nor I) picked up the cashier had not charged me for the cooler.

I was very [censored] off. But handled it wrong. I should have told him to never touch my shoulder and asked for some kind of identification. Then called the Walmart headquarters in Bentonville and report him.

Maybe he was homeless pretending to be a WM employee. We have lots of them here at the Mililani WM and they pretend to be helping you to your car then steal your cart when you're outside the store.

I had a Walmartian bark at me from inside the dairy cooler a few weeks ago. I went to get a gallon of milk, and see one behind two others with a longer expiration date, so as I'm pulling that one out I hear a voice yell "HEY! take the front ones first, they're still good". So, I barked back, "don't tell me how to shop, only my wife is allowed do that".

I don't leave any Store without a Receipt (proof I paid).
Nobody is going to claw thru my bag to count items / at this point, it's my personal property.
If they want to take this further, they can follow me to my vehicle and call Police.

Question: What authority do Store Security have ? They may be off-duty Police, but their Store Employees.
Can they look thru your bags ?
Can they detain you ?

I will not be a sheep !

Last edited:
I think only Costco or BJs or other club stores stop you on your way out. For those guys, I normally just keep my cart moving. I hand them the receipt, keep it rolling and then reach back and grab it. Can't stand the people who stop completely and wait for the guy to hand it back to you. Kinda crazy that there's a line to get out the door when the guy is really slow about staring at the receipt and what's in the cart.

Once I tried to go around a line trying to get out, there's a sign that says something to the effect that they ask to inspect your cart on the way out. I just told the guy I decline. He got mad at me, grabbed my receipt, punched it and just handed it back to me. I had two items at the time so it was ridiculous to wait behind a huge line. It's only even the member agreement with the club that possibility gives them any right to stop you. Technically if they stop you and you haven't stolen anything, it's false arrest and you can sue them.

I just got back from Walmart and bought a spray mop, some hardwood floor cleaner, a battery for my car remote, 3 packages of Lindor chocolates and a package of hot dogs and didn't have a basket or cart. It's often fun to see how much you can carry without a cart or basket!
laugh.gif

Wow....I can't get over the animosity towards Walmart for trying to prevent theft.....which is obviously a big problem....Remember, we all pay for THIEVERY....I have zero issue with them checking my receipt against my shopping cart contents just as long as it doesn't take more than a few seconds....

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Donald
Who can find a basket at Walmart?

This is because everyone steals them.

I would not have one of those nasty things in my home!

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Nobody is going to claw thru my bag to count items / at this point, it's my personal property.
If they want to take this further, they can follow me to my vehicle and call Police.

Question: What authority do Store Security have ? They may be off-duty Police, but their Store Employees.
Can they detain you ?

I will not be a sheep !

I think only Costco or BJs or other club stores stop you on your way out. For those guys, I normally just keep my cart moving. I hand them the receipt, keep it rolling and then reach back and grab it. Can't stand the people who stop completely and wait for the guy to hand it back to you. Kinda crazy that there's a line to get out the door when the guy is really slow about staring at the receipt and what's in the cart.

Once I tried to go around a line trying to get out, there's a sign that says something to the effect that they ask to inspect your cart on the way out. I just told the guy I decline. He got mad at me, grabbed my receipt, punched it and just handed it back to me. I had two items at the time so it was ridiculous to wait behind a huge line. It's only even the member agreement with the club that possibility gives them any right to stop you. Technically if they stop you and you haven't stolen anything, it's false arrest and you can sue them.

My wife's law firm gets calls like this from people wanting to sue. She hands them off to the attorney she works for and he politely tells them it's not a case he'd be interested in but perhaps another attorney at another firm might be.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

Can they detain you ?

I will not be a sheep !

If you're not a member and go in there to buy liquor or from the pharmacy (stuff that legally does not need a membership) you are not in any contract with them.

Besides, like you quote, the "agreement" (perhaps one-sided) is that the store will ask, not that you will be required to present a receipt.

Maybe he was some little freak of nature trying to mack on your sister haha
laugh.gif

As to the WM receipt checkers at the door,I have no probs whatsoever with them. Around here it's always little old ladies who they hire to do it. I always smile and hand it to them,thank them when they hand it back to me,and wish them a great day. They're only doing their job.

As a previous poster said,theft makes prices go up. I'm glad they try to prevent it.

Walmart is the greatest freak show on earth! It's a fun place to "people watch"
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back