My second DIY oil change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheers.gif
[/qb][/QUOTE]Keep the faith, LouDawg. Don't worry about other people 'not getting it', especially the wife. If you can get her to turn the car off when she sees the oil pressure light / high temp alarm etc you are ahead of the game. [/QB][/QUOTE]

You mean like my mother-in-law's 1996 Infiniti G20 that she grenaded due to "oil-light-is-on-I'll-keep-going-65mph-on-the-highway-itis"?
If you are relying on others to change your oil, be sure they actually tighten the filter. And be sure the driver doesn't commit user-error.

good question but im sorry i dont know the answer my guess would be it might be harsh for the sealant unless its epoxy which is very strong but i cant answer that for sure my driveway has no sealant.

I use kitty litter since the cat won't. I grind it into the oil stains with my foot. Let it sit for a while.
I use an old blue nylon tarp folded a few times, then same piece of cardboard on top, then newspapers on top of that. A few spills (and the inevitable spouse comments about those spills), and you learn to be neater.
Congratulations on the oil change. If you want an even easier oil change, get a BMW--the oil filter is on top.

If I could ensure it wouldn't disappear from my parents' garage by another relative, I would get one of the big 3'x5' metal pans that look like a giant cookie sheet. The owner of where we live doesn't allow any sort of car maintenance to be done. They have spies out it seems. Stuff you think no one would notice you doing gets pointed out to you in the next month's rent notice. I'd move if I could, but finances say no.
frown.gif

WalMart sells big aluminum? drip pans for just this problem. They are like 3-4' long and 2-3' wide. I think they are for old cars that leak oil and people can use them to protect their concrete every day, but also work great to have down to catch any extra spillage that may occur.

If anything does get away from you, I use Oil Dri from Napa, Auto Zone, etc. which is basically just cheaper clay based kitty litter without all the smelly goods in it. (Since oil doesn't smell as bad as cat feces)
smile.gif

I made quite a little mess in the garage when I home-flushed my transmission in my 04 Ram w/Cummins...put down the oil dri and lo and behold swept it up the next day and the concrete looked perfect.

quote:

Originally posted by Thorn:
I was at a Pep Boys store a few days ago, and I saw some type of felt-looking mat rolled up like a carpet. It was supposed to be some type of driveway/garage floor protector.

It wasn't on my list of things to have, and so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I noticed it at the end of one of the aisles. It looked like it was about 5 feet tall. I don't know how wide it would be when rolled out, but it seemed to be plenty big enough.

I've been looking for these and haven't found yet...checked AutoZone and Advanced, but haven't seen a Pep Boys yet...anyone else know who carries these?

Fumoto, Fumoto, Fumoto!! Get the kind with the nipple, put a tube on the nipple and run the other end in a bucket or jug. Not a drop on the floor.

For the filter - enclose it in a plastic bag prior to take off. This one takes a little practice but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back