My rant on my 2019 Lexus RX 350

The 6-speed in our Chrysler does the same thing.

Meanwhile the three 4-speed autos I have shift just fine.

As per my recent thread I just bought a 2020-F150 with the ten speed. I find if you use a steady throttle the transmission behaves fine. For example-if your at 40ish mph it's in 8th gear and stays there. However-if your drive it like you stole it I could see it never finding the right gear. Complaints about "never finding the right gear" have somewhat to do with driving style-IMHO.

As I stated previously-the multi gear transmissions and CVTs will just become more common-it's the world we live in.
I agree it has a lot to do with driving style, but I also find that they are tuned for optimal fuel economy, and often get "confused" when driving in areas that have very oddly designed roads, hills, etc, like in New England. Some transmissions seem to respond better than others, it just depends on how it is programmed. My mom has a 2011 Fit and with only a 5 speed it is awful. It constantly tries to keep the car in 5th gear, which is horrible when you have a 117hp 1.5L engine, and hilly backroads.

When I had a Tacoma with the 3.5L V6, a pedal commander made a world of difference. The accelerator response lags so much, it absolutely ruins the driving experience and the result is an upshifting truck that does it too early -- that split second of lag doesn't let you hold the gear you're in even when normal driving dictates it. It changed that very issue, giving a more instantaneous response to your foot inputs on the pedal, and you have better control of your engine operating RPM range which needs to be 2000-3500 for the 3.5L -- but it wants you in 1000-2000rpm for it's fuel savings.

It’s not comfortable when the transmission has to constantly shift gears. If a transmission does have to constantly shift like with modern 6+ speed transmissions, a lot of tuning has to go into the design and operation so to reduce NVH.

There are a lot of complaints with Toyotas 8 speed transmissions. Also their 6 speed to a lesser degree. It feels as if Toyota hasn’t fine tuned their latest transmissions.
Are you talking about it downshifting on like a small incline, or hill or gently pressing accelerator and it downshifts a gear?

Toyota is way too conceited to admit there is even a mistake to be corrected😂.
Not in this case, there's a TSB for the 2019 RAV4 (among others) that gets a free firmware update. Had this done on the 2019 RAV4 we purchased back in July 2022 as a CPO, so I don't really have a "before" comparison...but it shifts and behaves comparably to my 2007 4Runner.

See Toyota TSB-0107-19 for info.

I posted;

“Transmissions do not learn locations.”

and the reply was:

“Yes they do. Or at least they can. Newer adaptive types.”

I would sure like to see some information on this. If you read the post I was replying to. Location is not the same as driving style. The transmission does not know that you are on Main Street.

Back