My own fault for ever subscribing to SIRIUS

Of all the years subscribing to SiriusXM, they have never been provided my CC # or a check. After I go through the yearly routine of cancelling after the one-year "promotional rate", which is usually $89-99/yr, I tell them to send me the bill via snail mail. Even though the paper invoice is a $2 fee, I avoid the automatic renewal shinanigans with CC #'s or checks.

I then pay the subscripotion bill via Bill Pay through my personal checking account. Note: Once you receive the paper bill via snail mail, don't dilly-dally on making the payment, as it is usually a short payment window.

I am on with the 800 number currently. It stated they were so busy, can we text. i said sure, and was connected to a text conversation. I texted to cancel the subscription immediately, they response back was do I want to start or transfer new service. Typical shenanigan to break the consumer down.

Now the response is do I want to lower may rate, my response is please cancel immediately. The response back is may I ask why you would like to cancel today. My response back is please cancel immediately.

Now I get a response that I am required to fill out a form to confirm my identity. I reluctantly fill it out, now asked to confirm my radio ID. Delay, deny, ask me for something I don't have, all in their dirty dog games
Oh yeah, they're kidding about being busy. I skipped the whole texting thing and talked to a real person. I don't think I was on hold for more than a couple seconds, it just basically transferred right away.

Reactions: GON
Discovered today SIRIUS is charging me $23.95 per month. Has no idea. I had a $5.99 per month subscription, and SIRIUS ran their business plan on me. Tried to call for two days, can't get a human.

Dealing with most any media company in the USA is a huge risk of shenanigans to the consumer. We had Shaw Direct from Canada for satellite for over a decade as I guess the Canadians' don't allow so much dirty stuff by ogolopolies.

Disputing on my AmEx card, but I have no one to blame but myself. Why would I ever enter into anything with that dirty dog corporation SIRIUS.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ugh. I couldn’t agree less is more. i’m retired now and spend almost no time in the car. It’s so nice. I miss nothing about the commuting, the ‘spirited driving experience’ to get me home 10 minutes sooner than my neighbors while my SERIUS signal drops out.

I have had Sirius since 2004.
I bought a lifetime subscription for $500 back then.
A lot of money, but here I am still using it in my wife's SUV (I did have to pay a $75 transfer fee for that).
Right now that is about a $32/year cost (and gets cheaper every year).

I have had the six month/annual subscription in other vehicles off and on till 2018, so I have called to cancel many, many times.
I have never had an issue canceling my Sirius subscription.
I always set a reminder on my phone 2-3 days before to remind me to call.
I call, usually a 1-2 minute wait, tell them I want to cancel, get the "cheaper" offer, say no thanks, I want to cancel, get an even lower offer, sometimes I would accept, sometimes I would still cancel.
I don't think I ever got more than 2 cheaper offers per call, but usually within a week or two I would get something in the mail for the same or less than their best offer.

If not for the lifetime plan I have, I probably would not have it.
My 2 kids and I all use Spotify and bluetooth/Apple Carplay to listen to music while driving, only my wife uses Sirius (she is tech challenged and has nothing but issues when I showed her how to use Spotify on her SUV).
I do listen to Sirius in her vehicle, but prefer Spotify.

When AOL charged for its service, they would continue to successfully charge a credit card after the card expired. SIRIUS is doing the same thing, my AMEX card was replaced with a new card number and code, yet SIRIUS is still billing the old, invalid card.

I wonder if firms like SIRIUS that are able to successfully process a payment on an expired card pay a higher commission to the credit card companies to allow that practice....
It's your credit card company that allows this. They keep track of your old card number and if the charge comes through from a previously known business, they allow it to charge. They do this as a "courtesy" for auto-pay accounts that you might have forgotten to update.

DD,

Are you in the IT field for a living by chance?

I find IT professionals may have the skills and time to "beat the games" played by some companies like SIRIUS. Some people like me don't have the skills or the time or desire to even want to play chicken with companies like SIRIUS. I am often on a plane, and when working many times don't have cell phone or POTS line access.

Not in IT, but I am in project management and just set a calendar reminder to remind me to call in and cancel.

If you travel a lot, try the Amex Platinum. The annual fee is steep, but if you travel a lot you'll reap the benefits. Lounge access, they'll pay for your Clear membership, Global Entry and Sirius! I easily make back the annual fee and then some.

Not in IT, but I am in project management and just set a calendar reminder to remind me to call in and cancel.

If you travel a lot, try the Amex Platinum. The annual fee is steep, but if you travel a lot you'll reap the benefits. Lounge access, they'll pay for your Clear membership, Global Entry and Sirius! I easily make back the annual fee and then some.
Kudos to you. Project management is a very challenging profession, never ending tracking and issues. My observations not many people have the fortitude to manage tough projects. Lots of responsibilities.

I have the AMEX PLAT card but quit using the card for access to the Centurian lounge. Currently there are wait lists to enter most of the AMEX airport lounges. When the Centurion lounges first open the were wonderful oasis at the airport. Now they are a county fair on a Saturday evening like experience.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about this company and refuse to do business with them no matter how attractive the offer is.

Reading the OP's post just reaffirmed my belief that this company should be avoided.

The Toyota l purchased last year had a 3 month trial. I let it lapse and would never let them be in a position to "auto renew" on me.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about this company and refuse to do business with them no matter how attractive the offer is.

Reading the OP's post just reaffirmed my belief that this company should be avoided.

The Toyota l purchased last year had a 3 month trial. I let it lapse and would never let them be in a position to "auto renew" on me.
Well of course you hear more horror stories about companies, people that are happy with them are much less likely to post anything about them.

This thread shows that, there is a majority that has had issues, but there are several (including me) that have been happy with their service and not really had any issues.
Yes the auto renew at a higher price is annoying, but it is clear that you sign up for a contract for 6 months or a year, then after that the rate goes up. Playing the game with them is a part of their business practice.
They are not the only company that does this, and those others that do it also have complaints about the practice.

I do however feel that the time for satellite radio has kind of gone away. With smartphones with streaming services and the connectivity you have with vehicles, there is not near the need for a satellite radio like there was when satellite radio first came out.
As I said before, only reason I still have it is because of my lifetime subscription, I cancelled the other monthly radio plan in my daughters vehicle about 4 years ago because she just did not use it (and was a simple phone call and about 5 minutes of time).

The service is great. I use a lot of it - sports, music, talk, finance, and news. I just have it on my calendar to call a couple of days before the term is over. I've renewed by text chat a few times recently and it's easy. I've never given them a cc.
I'll agree that the cs is horrible and they'll play games when you try to cancel. But when your car doesn't have Bluetooth, it's a nice thing to have.

Update on new SIRIUS game,

I sold a Mercedes that had a SIRIUS subscription two months ago. I installed the SIRIUS module in the Mercedes years ago. Went to cancel the subscription. Tried to log onto my SIRIUS account. I have a working and proper login, password, and good email/ phone for supplemental verification.

SIRIUS now wants the radio ID to let me login to my account. I don't have the radio ID. Just another layer of games played by SIRIUS to prevent subscription cancellation. And as usual SIRIUS customer service is closed weekends, and limited weekday hours.

I am disputing the charge on American Express. I suspect SIRIUS will send me to collections, and with that a major collection charge. My own fault, hard to find a sleezier company than SIRIUS. Sleep with dogs, one gets fleas....

I don't understand how astute people have so many issues with Sirius/XM. I have dealt with them for over ten year-know all their games and how to play.

What's so difficult?
BTW-for everybody but GON-who blocks me. The easiest thing to do is use the CHAT feature on their website. They would like the radio ID-but it's not 100% necessarily.

Just tried another method to contact SIRIUS. I am working OCONUS. This is SIRIUS reply. Can't make this stuff up.

We're Sorry.​

Thank you for your interest in SiriusXM. Looks like access is unavailable. This could be for a variety of reasons.

Please keep in mind that SiriusXM provides service in the 50 United States and D.C., Puerto Rico, and Canada, with some limitations.

What happened?
This request was blocked by our security service

Your IP:

Proxy IP:

Incident ID:

Additional Information:

Access Denied
Error 16
care.siriusxm.com
2024-02-14 22:28:19 UTC

I got a free three month sub when I got the Highlander. They offered me another 3 months for $2 so I took the bait.

I thought it was a good thing to get away from the local FM station that is solely responsible for over playing and getting me to to loathe AC/DC.

Now, because of SiriusXM, I'm now beginning to hate The Eagles and Steely Dan.

I got a free three month sub when I got the Highlander. They offered me another 3 months for $2 so I took the bait.

I thought it was a good thing to get away from the local FM station that is solely responsible for over playing and getting me to to loathe AC/DC.

Now, because of SiriusXM, I'm now beginning to hate The Eagles and Steely Dan.
You identify a critical situation with SiriusXM. SiriusXM contracts with a handful of musicians. So, one gets the same music over and over again, without the ability to play music from a large group of artists.

I enjoy classic country. Willies Roadhouse is a joke- same 50 songs over and over again. Yet there are thousands of country songs that made the top 40 country charts in that era that never ever available to be played.

bought the at home "boom box" ok at first but the little radios that inserted in it kept dying!! replacements under warranty were free but short lived + the last THREE never worked so i cancelled on chat because understanding their reps was almost impossible!!

Just tried another method to contact SIRIUS. I am working OCONUS. This is SIRIUS reply. Can't make this stuff up.

We're Sorry.​

Thank you for your interest in SiriusXM. Looks like access is unavailable. This could be for a variety of reasons.

Please keep in mind that SiriusXM provides service in the 50 United States and D.C., Puerto Rico, and Canada, with some limitations.

What happened?
This request was blocked by our security service

Your IP:

Proxy IP:

Incident ID:

Additional Information:

Access Denied
Error 16
care.siriusxm.com
2024-02-14 22:28:19 UTC
Try Online chat.
I currently have a free 4 month trail that I took because it's free. No payment information was required.
In the past I have had them on and off since around 2002. Never had an issue cancelling though even with payment info. In today's world I find the sound quality inferior, in the early 2000's XM and Sirius were a cool thing to have.
Im choosey about sound and the algorithm that they use to compress the music leaves too much to be desired unless it's free.
Otherwise it's just as easy to use my Apple Music with iPhone in my car. The Sirius is cool sometimes besides the sound quality to mindlessly listen to music and change channels should I want something else.

Back