My own fault for ever subscribing to SIRIUS

It is also an area that needs more competition, only one satellite radio company shows it is a monopoly. There should be at least 4 competitors.
Sirius and XM used to be two companies competing against each other. Barely made any money, brink of going out of business mountains of debt. They merged and created the current company = Sirius XM. What they have now they seem to survive ok but its hardly a cash cow and the stock price has gone nowhere since the beginning of time. Decades of promises and wishful thinking.

A misconception in here about competition and monopoly could not age further from the truth.
Sirius XM has MOUNTAINS of competition from streaming services such as Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon Music and others.
Not only that but many of these streaming services provide much better sound quality than Sirius XM can. On a quality system in a quality car the sound quality between, for example, Apple Music and Sirius XM is like night and day with Apple Music far superior. Other streaming services jsut as good too.
Sirius sound will always be middle of the road at best, its aimed at people used to "good enough" as are some streaming services.

Its so easy getting into my truck and my truck picks up my Apple Music right away to play on my system.
I know Sirius quite well, we had it before most people even knew it existed almost 20 years ago. It was cool back then, WAY cool but now, almost pointless for my wife and I with Apple Music. (and any other streaming service that people prefer)

... and with using streaming services instead of Sirius XM you get to choose what gets played, your not stuck with "channels"

Last edited:
I wonder if it's a time of day thing? I've never had an issue speaking with a human on my first try with SXM.

I've been buying year/year contracts with them since 2018. I renew every April. My current rate all-in is $7.21/month. It irks me because I know they offer a 3yr for $99 at the moment. Of course it would be more like ~$120 with taxes/fees, but that's still pretty cheap.

There's a few talk shows and a bunch of music stations I like on SXM and I just like the convenience of it being right there at my finger tips when I hop in my vehicle.

These threads pop up once or twice a year. Most SAT radio hate comes from East of the Mississippi where you are never truly "in the middle of no where" and always have a FM or cellphone signal. Having traveled extensively all over the Inter mountain West where in parts of Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and elsewhere where you can be two or three hours with out a cellphone signal, SAT radio really shines.

Yes-the auto renewal is a pain-but a note on your google calendar and a 10 minute phone call (or some tell me the chat function works) telling them you will cancel the service unless you get the $5.00ish rate has been working for me for ten years.

Auto renewal is a "thing" that is used for newspapers, magazines and other things-XM radio isn't alone.

These threads pop up once or twice a year. Most SAT radio hate comes from East of the Mississippi where you are never truly "in the middle of no where" and always have a FM or cellphone signal. Having traveled extensively all over the Inter mountain West where in parts of Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and elsewhere where you can be two or three hours with out a cellphone signal, SAT radio really shines.
Good point, my post a couple posts up was an answer as far as lack of competition.
I certainly can understand anyone wanting Sirius XM and your reasons even more.
With that said, for people not as remote as you or someone who wants to bother, you can easily download complete playlists, hours worth (really unlimited) when you do have an internet/cell connection to play when you dont, IF and only If that is something someone wants.

I think in your case I would have both because $6 or so a month would be worth it to me.

Since I had on interest in keeping it, I never subscribed. From website experience I've found it very easy to give money and very difficult to recover from the automatic charges. Just my frugal way. Ed

I do the same thing every year as they send a reminder one to two months in advance via email. Cancel via there online chat (never have to speak with a rep) and am always offered the same low "promo" price. I usually listen to the NBA channel during NBA season, NFL channel during NFL season, Beatles radio during Beatles season (all year long lol) etc. If you ever drive in dead zones you'll truly appreciate satellite radio.

Since I had on interest in keeping it, I never subscribed. From website experience I've found it very easy to give money and very difficult to recover from the automatic charges. Just my frugal way. Ed
You know, I forgot to post in my previous posts, I have had Sirius XM even recently and as long as almost 20 years ago.
1 year was free with my GM truck in 2020, I went to cancel and then offered the $6 thing for a year, I kept it for that year and went to cancel again, was offered the same deal but by that time I was into Apple Music and preferred it so wasnt worth it to me even at the $6.

What I am saying is, my experience was not that of the OP. I had no problem calling and cancelling and to this day still get offers for the $6 thing.
I cant remember exactly if you can cancel online, dont think so though.

.. and for those who are able, this is so easy to do with Android/Google or Apple, (I happen to use Apple) I have it alert me a month ahead of time to cancel a deal. Sometimes I take up publications like Barrons or WSJ with those offers.

I do the same thing every year as they send a reminder one to two months in advance via email. Cancel via there online chat (never have to speak with a rep) and am always offered the same low "promo" price. I usually listen to the NBA channel during NBA season, NFL channel during NFL season, Beatles radio during Beatles season (all year long lol) etc. If you ever drive in dead zones you'll truly appreciate satellite radio.
They usually send you an email as you stated or send you a postcard. So you know when it's going to renew at a higher rate. But then again it should be marked in your google calendar (or equivalent).

Last edited:
I don't understand. When I signed up for the $9/month for one year, they disclosed when thus promotional fare would end and I'd be charged $39/month after that.

I input a date obe week prior to the expiration date and call them to cancel. We go back and forth and the rep puts me on hold. They come back and tell me I can have the promo rate for another year. Thus has been going on for about 5 years.

Did they not give you the date that promotion would expire? As far as I know, they don't have a package that stays at $5.99 regular rate.

I don't understand. When I signed up for the $9/month for one year, they disclosed when thus promotional fare would end and I'd be charged $39/month after that.

I input a date obe week prior to the expiration date and call them to cancel. We go back and forth and the rep puts me on hold. They come back and tell me I can have the promo rate for another year. Thus has been going on for about 5 years.

Did they not give you the date that promotion would expire? As far as I know, they don't have a package that stays at $5.99 regular rate.
Yes they do...it's in their "script" and always has been. But if you don't follow up with your own business and put it on your calendar-you then get frustrated and post on the Internet about how they are "unethical".

i love their 50's station + some 60's on my dish network TV, regular radio stinks IMO!! girlfriend has it in her car + i enjoy it there as well + she always gets a lower price when she declines the higher quote. being retired + NOT a traveler its not for me BUT if available YEARS ago while working i would have bought it. i see different pricings when shopping on line as its the only thing i would miss in the summer if i "paused" my dish network TV. they are always offering intros when i purchase various stuff on-line, but i resist!!

DONT PAY BY CHECK. They will have both your Routing and Account numbers.

Pay by Money Order. (Last time I tried, they would not let me, so I canceled. Credit Card only).
Everybody who gets your check has those numbers….
They can’t bill / draft on your account with just that info.

Quick update, AMEX credited me $18.45 for the rate increase, after I submitted a dispute. I still have not been able to "cancel" with SIRIUS.

Glad to read others have been successful playing the SIRIUS billing game. I guess my time/ priorities don't support playing the SIRIUS billing game. I didn't think that would be part of the business transaction with ethical companies.

Well documented for many years that SIRIUS is a very dirty dog.... my fault to have ever provided them my credit card. I don't have the time to make playing the dirt dog game an actionable item to reduce the likeliness they grossly abuse my goodwill and credit card.
Did you call the number I posted? Some numbers seem to work better than others. That one I use all the time and don't have any issues.

Never have an issue canceling or changing the plan. They do have a $5.99 rate for life now and also a $60 for a year plan. Their script makes you dig for it because they'll offer you a plan that's slightly more and if you still say no, then they go to the cheaper plans.

When I canceled they did want to know why and I just tell them it's too expensive and I don't listen to it much. They had no issues with that and just went ahead and canceled it.

I've gotten 3 months for like $5 TWICE. Called back a few months later and got an entire year for like, $60 IIRC. Put a reminder on my phone to call and cancel / re-sub.

Here's the trick, you have to threaten to completely leave Sirius while simultaneously sweet talking the ladies on the phone (which I am a self proclaimed expert at :ROFLMAO: ).

Here's the trick, you have to threaten to completely leave Sirius while simultaneously sweet talking the ladies on the phone (which I am a self proclaimed expert at :ROFLMAO: )

Threatening to leave or talking to the ladies??? :)

I've gotten 3 months for like $5 TWICE. Called back a few months later and got an entire year for like, $60 IIRC. Put a reminder on my phone to call and cancel / re-sub.

Here's the trick, you have to threaten to completely leave Sirius while simultaneously sweet talking the ladies on the phone (which I am a self proclaimed expert at :ROFLMAO: ).
They don't care about the sweet talk, they're just playing the game/following the script. I just cut to the chase, tell them I read about it online in the forums and I know they can do it so just go ahead and do it or just cancel. They just go ahead and do it.

Did you call the number I posted? Some numbers seem to work better than others. That one I use all the time and don't have any issues.

Never have an issue canceling or changing the plan. They do have a $5.99 rate for life now and also a $60 for a year plan. Their script makes you dig for it because they'll offer you a plan that's slightly more and if you still say no, then they go to the cheaper plans.

When I canceled they did want to know why and I just tell them it's too expensive and I don't listen to it much. They had no issues with that and just went ahead and canceled it.
I am on with the 800 number currently. It stated they were so busy, can we text. i said sure, and was connected to a text conversation. I texted to cancel the subscription immediately, they response back was do I want to start or transfer new service. Typical shenanigan to break the consumer down.

Now the response is do I want to lower may rate, my response is please cancel immediately. The response back is may I ask why you would like to cancel today. My response back is please cancel immediately.

Now I get a response that I am required to fill out a form to confirm my identity. I reluctantly fill it out, now asked to confirm my radio ID. Delay, deny, ask me for something I don't have, all in their dirty dog games

I always cancel! I don't remember ever paying full price.
DD,

Are you in the IT field for a living by chance?

I find IT professionals may have the skills and time to "beat the games" played by some companies like SIRIUS. Some people like me don't have the skills or the time or desire to even want to play chicken with companies like SIRIUS. I am often on a plane, and when working many times don't have cell phone or POTS line access.

Back