My Oil Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a very slow leak i've tried 2 different drain plugs one with a rubber gasket and one with a metal washer as the gasket and I did go and buy some new rubber gaskets that were listed for the oil drain plug on my specific vehicle and was wondering if I should try the new ones I bought or try using some of that white thread tape?

Without seeing the issue in person it is difficult to advise you, but if it is in fact the drain plug itself allowing oil to get past the threads, I'd try an oversized drain plug.

What kind of material is the oil pan made from ? Stamped steel or cast aluminum ?

Keith

Rather than using the Teflon tape, try putting a ring of Permatex Blue RTV silicone gasket maker around the underside of your original oil pan bolt before torquing down the bolt.

I've used this method to replace the worn out stat-a-seal (aluminum with buna rubber center) washer that came with OEM plug on my Corvette for several years now without any leaks.

I would first clean and check the sealing surface on the pan. If there is any burs or roughness, smooth them off with a fine file. If all is good there then as kb200 suggested-get an oversize plug. Ed

If it's the GM in your sig, then it should use a captured rubber seal under the head of the drain plug. Additional means of sealing, like silicone and/or teflon tape aren't really the right way to attack this. Some of those rubber seals would get chewed up by burrs as Eddie suggested and leak.

Pics of your plug/and or pan would help us to get it straightened out.

I never had good luck with the rubber seal in bolt head style plug on my Sunfire and switched to a plain plug with a fiber washer.

So far we have had silicone, rubber, and fiber mentioned. Here's what always works for me:

A new soft metal (copper, aluminum) crush washer used at every oil change.

Never reuse, one time use only. Torque to about 25 - 30 ft/lbs......... no more. It's the gorillas that start these problems.

Buy in bulk, they are cheap.

Never a leak.

I have 2 friends working as dealer techs (GM/Subaru and Honda) and that is their method.

I also have a Fumoto on one car (20+ years).

Last edited:
While Teflon tape wouldn't be the way I'd go, one thing to remember with Teflon tape is to keep it back from the leading edge of the threads. You wouldn't want bits of Teflon tape, cut off as the plug is installed, floating around in your oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back