My Oil Change Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

on my 99 Subaru Sti, i recently got a engine rebuild at around 60,000kms. I got new bearings put in. Heads were machined.

pistons and other components where not changed.

i am now up to 5000kms since the rebuild.
this is what i have done so far...

0-1000kms 20/50 mineral oil
1000-5000kms 15/50 Motul Mineral oil

what should i put in it now?

would full synthetic be the way to go? or is it still to early. semi-synthetic? would the piston rings sealed yet? considering my engine doesnt have ALL NEW components.

i was thinking

5000-8000kms Mobile 10/40 Semi Synthetic
8000 onwards Amsoil 10/40 FUll Synthetic

thanks for your comments

welcome.gif

I'm wondering why you went with a 50 wt. oil immediately after rebuild. I'm not an engin rebuilder but my understanding is that its best to break rings and cylinders with a lighter oil. If you want to go extended drain intervals Mobil 1 or Delvac would be good. But I believe I would run an oil analysis analysis before you go much further. I think your plan is good except I wouldn't go any further than the 5000km before doing the analysis. By then you will have read lots on this board and can make a good decision.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
welcome.gif

I'm wondering why you went with a 50 wt. oil immediately after rebuild. I'm not an engin rebuilder but my understanding is that its best to break rings and cylinders with a lighter oil

thanks for the welcome.

i'm not sure, 20/50 was put in by the rebuilder...

i then put in 15/50 myself... coz i didnt want to use a 'thin' mineral based oil. also its summer over here now
smile.gif

i'll go to 10/40 for synthetic though.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
What does your owners manual say for your climate?

I have a curiousity as to why you needed an engine rebuild at 40,000 miles?

pablo.. the manual says 10/30 (NORMAL) or 10/40 (HOT WEATHER)

i got a rebuild coz the bearing **** itself... was making bad noises when 2000+ rpm.

this was caused i think by lack of oil delivery when i was drifting on the street on dry roads. there must of been too much lateral g's and my oil level was a bit low or old. and the bearings didnt get enuff oil.
mad.gif

now i check my oil level at least once a day. and plan to change oil at least once every 5000kms. i think i have a problem
wink.gif

StiMan welcome. We have a great selection of oils here in Oz, better than most countries. I'd use Redline 5/10W40 in your Sti available all over Sydney. Motul 300V also available. It appears Mobil now have the M1 15W50 SS here which would be cheaper and a better oil than the 5W50 we have had for years. If you ned Redline contacy send me a PM..s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back