my new mechanic has cool oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my wife's POS Honda Civic in for a diagnostics check and to look at the brakes (serviced < 3000 miles ago by her mechanic).

While I was waiting for my man to finish what he was doing, I was just pacing around the garage.

I was very interested to find some jugs of oil I'd never seen before.

Total Quartz Ineo MC3. I took a pic with my phone (attached). The back label said,

Approvals, ACEA C3 API SM/CF
BMW LL04
MB 229.31 229.51
VW 502.00 505.00 505.01

This seems like some stout stuff. I wonder if my Canadian, er, US made GMC 350 would like it? It does't have the starburst symbol, but all those approvals sound pretty good to me.

I asked him if they made a 0w30 and he nodded "yeah" but I haven't had a chance to look online to verify and/or read specs.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool.

Oh, and he fixed *both* my wifes issues from the drivers seat, without lifting the hood. My man is good.
0216101533.jpg

Total/Elf have some quality lubricants. How much was he charging for a 5L jug?

I'm wondering about the term 'Synthetic technology' though. You see terms like that pretty often on European oils, and sometimes it's a semi-synthetic oil unless it specifically says 'Synthetic' or 'Full Synthetic' on the packaging.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I don't see anything special about this stuff that makes it stand out in a crowd of many other good competitors.

+1

Never seen an F1 car with an ELF sticker?
wink.gif

OP- Thats a light duty diesel oil - not for your truck! The Total oil you want to look for is the Total Quartz Energy 9000 0w-30:
from total data sheet:

be used for all Gasoline and Diesel engines, especially for the most
recent engines. The vehicle owner manul should be checked before using.
• Satisfy the most difficult using conditions (city, road, motorway).
• Is appropriated for all driving types, in particular for sporting or intense drive
and for every season
ACEA 2004 : A3/B4 and API : SL/CF
The profession’s richest profile, exceeding the technical demands of the
biggest carmakers.
Most recent approvals applying at least to 15 vehicle brands :
MERCEDES-BENZ : MB page 229.5 (MB, Chrysler…)
BMW : BMW Longlife 01 (BMW, Mini…)
VOLKSWAGEN : 502.00/505.00 (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda...)
GENERAL MOTORS : GM-LLA025 / B025 (Level)
(Opel, Saab, Vauxhall, Chevrolet...)
RENAULT : Gasoline and Diesel
PEUGEOT, CITROEN :Gasoline and Diesel – PSA E05/D05 Niv 3
100% synthetic oil for an high and constant quality for the lubricant.
• Optimum engine longevity: antiwear properties protecting the engine's
most sensitive parts.
• Extra long drain intervals
• Performance and power : excellent dispersancy and detergency keeping
the engine clean and thus preserving its power.

Last edited:
How much???

I mean, it does meet a lot of specs, but the only reason it's "good" is because it's hard to find. If it were on the WalMart shelf, I don't see why it would be better than M1, PU, Edge...

Nothing special, Elf total is a well know euro oil. Maybe the Mobil of France? :) Better than GC or Edge 5w-30? Dunno. M1 doesnt have a competing product since 0w30afe is not long drain rated (though it may be capable there is no certification) Never ran it or analysed it.

@ARCOgraphite
Thanks for the warning, but I didn't mean to imply I'd run that specific type in my truck, at least not w/o knowing that it would be AOK to do so. I looked at Total's site and found the same info you gave; that the Quartz Energy 9000 looked like the right fit for a gasoline V8 like mine that calls for a Xw30 weight.

But it's API SM -- so why couldn't I run this in my GM 350?

@everyone else
I don't know what he charges, it just seems like it's on of his stock fills for the car's he works on that need it (probably MB diesels, VW TDI's, etc).

And I didn't mean to imply this was great oil, or as good or better than anything else. Just that it was "cool" (neat graphics, new to me, lots of Euro approvals).

Next time I'm in his garage, I'll ask him what he'd charge to get me a case of jugs of the Quartz Energy 9000 0w30. I'll bump up with an update when I find out. (This is in Santa Monica, CA, so don't expect any Walmart style bargains...).

From their website-
===============================================================

Total is the world’s fourth-largest publicly-traded integrated oil and gas company, with operations in more than 130 countries worldwide spanning all the aspects of the petroleum industry, including Upstream operations.

Didn't have a clue about that. Using their dealer locator, they seem to have distributors all along the I-5 corridor around Seattle/Tacoma, mostly bearing houses and the like.

"Just that it was "cool" (neat graphics, new to me, lots of Euro approvals)."

That it is. The story to how he came to sell this stuff could be interesting.

@bepperb

That's a valid question, but my guess is this: there are lots of private garages in this town that focus on high end European cars, so there is a good sales channel for parts to match, including, and even, particularly, consumables.

The guy with the cherry, low mileage M-B SL probably wants to keep it 'right' with OEM parts and fluids. I bet Total is a common service fill in Europe, so it makes sense to do the same here.

Does anyone know if Total is factory fill for any of the makers it's approved for (VW, BMW, MB, etc).

@mechtech2

I came in to complain of poor brake pedal feel and softness.

We drove in a back alley, he put it in reverse, and while under medium power cycled the parking brake handle about 5 or 6 times.

I took the wheel, and the brakes were at least 50% firmer than before.

Apparently that trick forces the ratchet auto-adjuster in the rear brakes (this car has drums) to do its job and take up the slack between the shoe and drum. If the ratchet and pawl are dirty at all the the auto-adjust feature doesn't auto-adjust, but this forces the issue.

Cool, huh?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

From their website-

Total is the world’s fourth-largest publicly-traded integrated oil and gas company, with operations in more than 130 countries worldwide spanning all the aspects of the petroleum industry, including Upstream operations.

Didn't have a clue about that. Using their dealer locator, they seem to have distributors all along the I-5 corridor around Seattle/Tacoma, mostly bearing houses and the like.

I think that they actually still have some gas stations in the midwest/U.P. area of Michigan.

Originally Posted By: AceyMan
@mechtech2

I came in to complain of poor brake pedal feel and softness.

We drove in a back alley, he put it in reverse, and while under medium power cycled the parking brake handle about 5 or 6 times.

I took the wheel, and the brakes were at least 50% firmer than before.

Apparently that trick forces the ratchet auto-adjuster in the rear brakes (this car has drums) to do its job and take up the slack between the shoe and drum. If the ratchet and pawl are dirty at all the the auto-adjust feature doesn't auto-adjust, but this forces the issue.

Cool, huh?

yeah the brakes are supposed to keep themselves adjusted this way,the previous mechanic was apparently in a hurry or inexperianced. when installing new rear brakes you have to adjust them to where theres just a faint drag on trhe drum from the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back