My New ISP -- 4G LTE AT&T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving to a new apartment soon, FiOS doesn’t cover the new location. While 100/100 internet has been fun and the cost hasn’t been horrible at $45/month, a new ISP was needed. Personally, I am not too much a fan of the new Spectrum pricing. I thought the TWC service levels were decent, but those are no longer for new customers. I also have fond memories of TWC having lackluster performance when coming used in a congested area… especially an apartment complex where there are multiple tenants.

During a combination of searching the web, paying bills and checking out my AT&T plan, I came across the AT&T Home Base. It is a device made by ZTE, a Z700A that is a 4G LTE hotspot with Wi-Fi, Ethernet and two RJ-11 phone jacks. Since I have AT&T Unlimited Plus, I was able to add this device to my plan under a 2-year contact (device was no charge) for $20 per month, the same price as an additional line. It has voice service with unlimited minutes and unlimited data. Here is how the data works… many folks think it works a few different ways – this is straight from the fine print with easier jargon put in from yours truly. Mobile hotspots, the AT&T Home Base and Connected Car (OBDII powered hotspots) can be added to an AT&T Unlimited Plus plan and have truly unlimited data. Once the line with aforementioned device reaches 22GB of data used per billing cycle, the device may be de-prioritized if being used in an area when and where there is network congestion. Most folks when de-prioritized have still received 8 down and 4 up. Which IMO still isn’t bad. A lot of folks haven’t ever noticed it whether their online services are working fine or a SpeedTest still showed excellent speeds.

TL;DR – after 22GB if there’s a lot of people on the towers using data, you might be slowed down.

AT&T SmartPhones on Unlimited Plus also have the same stipulation, 22GB then de-prioritization. However, if you’re using Mobile Hotspot on an AT&T SmartPhone on Unlimited Plus, you receive 10GB of Hotspot data then are throttled to something unusable… I believe 128Kbps.

This device is working well for us! In my current apartment, where the network equipment is placed, the device is only getting 2 bars of 4G LTE service. I’ve included some SpeedTest screenshots of the 2 bar results. Speeds are good. I tried the device in a full signal area and was getting a 39ms ping response time and 28 down 22 up. Really can’t complain for $20 additional a month. My AT&T bill is about $360 a month – I’ve got myself, my GF, Mom, Dad, my two brothers, my brother’s tablet and now this Home Base. Comes out to be relatively cost effective. I take care of the bill for my parents, they’ve done a lot for me.

I then have this connected directly to my Apple AirPort through ethernet.

3nZbimM.jpg

05n9LQM.jpg

sp1674N.png

Originally Posted By: Rand
holy poop, $360 a month. That's a car payment on a decent car.

Yeah but split between the family. It’s pretty affordable per line. Not to mention there is two iPhone 7 Plus installments on the bill. Sticker shock might be big but the numbers work out.

Clearly not "marketed" for you but rather for the broke millennials living in step mommy's basement.

Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

Clearly not "marketed" for you but rather for the broke millennials living in step mommy's basement.

Why do you keep making comments about millennials ????

It's his money to spend...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

Why do you keep making comments about millennials ????

It's his money to spend...

He mentioned couple of Iphones in there:
-he just changed Jobs in IT
-some companies need you to have an iphone, because of the various apps you need for your IT job (even if they don't offer you a company phone)
-some parts of the country does not offer much in ISP offers.....

My cost per month is around $250. That includes our two phones, iPhone lease (one was BOGO), my parents and now the Home Internet.

I don't see that being unreasonable.

8 things connected, I'm assuming all with unlimited service.

Redhat, is that ping a consistent 30-50ms or does it spike occasionally?

You may live in an area with great network infrastructure so it's cool that this is an option for you.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

8 things connected, I'm assuming all with unlimited service.

Yes, Unlimited Talk, Text and Data.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Redhat, is that ping a consistent 30-50ms or does it spike occasionally?

You may live in an area with great network infrastructure so it's cool that this is an option for you.

Out of 100 ping replies, only two spiked to 106ms. I didn't ping in great detail in a high signal area. I attribute the couple of higher latency responses to the 2 bars of signal.

Considering the number of devices/services he's getting, that's actually not a bad deal.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Good on you for taking care of your parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, lots of people missed that last sentence.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Good on you for taking care of your parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, lots of people missed that last sentence.

Well they deserve it. I mean whenever I go up to my parents its ends in either some sort of meal or going out to eat somewhere, some beer/drinks, my Regal is stored there and will be worked on/stored in the new garage Dad is putting up. Just comforting knowing I don't worry about their cell phones not working on them.

Cricket which uses same towers: 5 phones/$100 with 4GB data each @ 8mbits

or they have the new unlimited2 which is 2 lines unlimited data $80 includes all fees/tax but limited to 3mbits.

I can see where if you get locked into the AT&T system its more valuable with Direct tv, unlimited data, and other perks..

and of course of couple phone payments skyrocket the monthly bill but you didnt have to shell out $800 up front etc.

Not judging just had some sticker shock.

I used to be locked into old school verizon unlimited plan.. was $160 for 1 smart phone and 1 dumb phone(no data)... and that was after 21% corporate discount.
never again for me.

How does ATT define unlimited on their 4g network with the hotspot?

So for $20/month you are getting all the speed you need, with good upload.

Spectrum down here starts at 100MB for $64.99 which I do not like.

Average user does not need much more than 10-15MB anyways.

At work we are running a 4g connection to run a rural facility, and it has done very well. About 15down 10up and has been reliable for a year so far.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
How does ATT define unlimited on their 4g network with the hotspot?

So for $20/month you are getting all the speed you need, with good upload.

Spectrum down here starts at 100MB for $64.99 which I do not like.

Average user does not need much more than 10-15MB anyways.

At work we are running a 4g connection to run a rural facility, and it has done very well. About 15down 10up and has been reliable for a year so far.

Here's the breakdown on the AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan:

Smartphones
Unlimited data for the device, after 22GB your speeds may be slowed during times of network congestion, 10GB of Hotspot data, 128Kbps speed reduction after such

Hotspots, Connected Car and AT&T Home Base
Unlimited data, after 22GB your speeds may be slowed during times of network congestion, no hard caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back