My neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I was once in a hospital and the director of that floor was talking during the morning 'huddle'. A nurse wasn't paying any attention to her director and was texting on her phone.

The nursing director saw her employee texting and proceeded to chew her out for being inattentive to what was being said.

I can understand why people are zombies on their cell phones.

You do huddles too! We don't allow cell phones around patients. If i don't see it and don't hear it i don't care if they have it. But if they use it in any patient setting its disciplinary action. Definitely not during a meeting/huddle.

Last edited:
These idiots look like zombies as they stare at their screen walking around in a daze. I just love it when you are trying to interact with one of these Darwin candidates and they are STILL focusing on the phone instead of me...I confront them on it. (work as a security guard, and inform them politely...."you are at work now, when you are dealing with me you put your phone away".
Usually most will sheepishly follow my instructions a few will look stunned, and I will insist they put the phone away until they have completed their interaction with me.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

This ^^

I work at a large University up here and the reliance on smart phones is beyond an addiction , it has become an OCD of sorts and not a good one .
Kids actually use it to shut themselves off from others . IE: , you'll be walking toward them and before you can get a chance to nod or say hello they will look down at their phone . I call that one the "ignore" app.
These kids are losing communication and social skills , there needs to be some studies and public education on this to help some realise how it is effecting them .

Spot on. I'm a college student and it is ridiculous how glued people are to their phones. The professor could be teaching a lecture about what IS GOING TO BE ON THE EXAM and I look around only to see 3/4 of the class staring at their phones. I paid to be in this class, the last thing I'm going to do is ignore the material being taught.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We just returned home from a wedding we attended in Texas. My wife and I sat about at the midpoint (front to back) in the church. As we watched the ceremony, I couldn't help but notice the number of people who were busy on their smart phones-either they were texting, playing games, or playing with their apps. Afterwards, as my wife and I discussed it (she also observed it), I asked her why they even came if they didn't have the decency to pay attention during the ceremony. Neither of us could come up with an answer, but we both agreed (along with a few other folks at our table at the reception) that it was incredibly rude.

I've never owned a smart phone and never will. I do have a cell phone, but during the wedding ceremony both my cell phone and my wife's cell phone were turned off and left in the glove box of the car. There is nothing so important that I need to be tethered to any sort of gadget.

I believe the phone companies have done a fantastic job of marketing smart phones to people who firmly believe that their life has to revolve around a gadget. Look at the number of people who gladly pony up hundreds of dollars every year or two to have the latest and greatest phone. On top of that, they've hooked consumers into joyfully paying $50 or more per month for the right to play with their gadget.

It's become the mindset of those weak minded enough to really believe that they can't live without their toys. They don't realize that they are missing out on much of the real world while their focus is on their little virtual world.

I find it truly disgusting that people can't live without their little toys and are tethered to it everywhere they go.

+1, WELL said! I just came home from a funeral.. the guy in front of me was busy texting during the service... VERY rude. Did you come to the funeral or to play with your phone??? My cell phone was in my pocket, on vibrate. Even if I were to feel it vibrate I'm not going to pull it out and answer it during the service.. it can wait.

I see it where I work as well... People are constantly pulling their phones out and playing with them when they are supposed to be working.. is it really that important??? Again, my phone stays in my pocket when I am working, either turned off or on silent mode. I'm at work working, not getting paid to play with my phone! It is really getting ridiculous. I'm not against the smartphone, but against what people do with them. I actually will be getting my first smartphone when my current plan runs out.. but it is just a cheap android phone from tracfone. The main reason I am getting the smartphone is that the plan is actually cheaper than the same plan on one of their flip phones. It will be handy for a few reasons.. I can use the Internet if need be, sending a text will be easier, etc. But I'm not getting it to sit on it with it glued to my face constantly texting people. I'm not sure why some people think texting it so great.. I use it now and then as it is easier than calling someone, and it is nice for out of state friends, but I MUCH prefer talking to someone face to face.

Smart phones are wonderful tools to do a lot of things. Ive profited in so many ways because these tools have such amazing utility. For anyone to shun them is just shortsighted and silly.

But, they do get used in very rude, obnoxious ways. Like most anything else, cars, tractors, lawn mowers, stereos, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back