My neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whenever I see my neighbor, she is usually "playing" with her kids in the front yard, or watching them swing. BUT! What boggles my mind is she is ALWAYS on her phone, texting away and even ignores her kids saying "mommy, watch!" So I am absolutely flabbergasted that a parent would do this. I cant imagine what these kids are missing out on that I had. Has anyone else seen this?! I feel like your kids are that age ONCE, so play with them, teach them right from wrong, love them, lovingly-correct them, and most of all, pay attention to them. Sorry but I couldn't hold this in anymore. My kids will NEVER come after my phone, job, or friends.

I really do not understand the attraction to cell phones. The only time i really make a point to carry it is when i'm on call or if on a trip away from home. other than that its around but i rarely use it. What i am amazed at , are those that walk around with it in their hands for hours in case they get a message.

They almost need to do some kind of study when it comes to cellphones and smartphones. It is like some kind of addiction.

I have some neighbors who text each other while they are sitting next to each other! I see people texting and talking on cellphones while they drive and while they walk down the street. I saw a woman a while back who crossed a busy street without checking for traffic, talking on her cellphone or smartphone the entire time. She could have been killed. She never even looked to check for traffic. Her attention was totally on the conversation on the cellphone and I guess she though that traffic would just stop for her.

It is almost like some kind of disease.

I use the telephone as little as possible and I don't even own a cellphone or smartphone. It would drive me crazy talking to somebody on a cellphone all day long. What are they talking about?

Last edited:
My neighbors kids, not even school age, wander up to my yard to play with my kids and yell "look at me!" when they do stunts on the swings or whatever. I actually look at them, fifty or more times!

Their parents, I figure, don't give them all that much attention. My kids don't go down there to play-- they haven't asked and I won't let 'em.

It takes a village...

My wife and I were at a very nice business dinner recently. At one table were about 12 adolescent/young adult children of the professionals and management of the business hosting the event. Although they were sitting at the same table, every one of these young people had their nose buried in a smartphone, completely tuned out and oblivious to the nice dinner and the people around them.

All this personal technology is completely reordering how humans relate to one another, and not for the better IMHO.

My story... The wife and I were at a dinner . 5 collage age kids walked in sat down at the counter. Waitress took there drink order she left , All 5 whipped out them phones like robots ....

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
So whenever I see my neighbor, she is usually "playing" with her kids in the front yard, or watching them swing. BUT! What boggles my mind is she is ALWAYS on her phone, texting away and even ignores her kids saying "mommy, watch!" So I am absolutely flabbergasted that a parent would do this. I cant imagine what these kids are missing out on that I had. Has anyone else seen this?! I feel like your kids are that age ONCE, so play with them, teach them right from wrong, love them, lovingly-correct them, and most of all, pay attention to them. Sorry but I couldn't hold this in anymore. My kids will NEVER come after my phone, job, or friends.

You see couples at dinner with one or both using a cell phone.
Why go do dinner with someone if you are going to ignore them and talk on the phone?

I do not even know where my phone is half the time, so its not a high priority for me.

Gizmos are out of control...well, at least the dolts that can't seem to know when to put the intrusive things away are. Hideous habit. Literally going on everywhere.
Makes me want to yell at them and say something like....."Hey doofus, the REAL world is right in front of your face...put that stupid gizmo DOWN and use the senses you were born with."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JDW
My story... The wife and I were at a dinner . 5 collage age kids walked in sat down at the counter. Waitress took there drink order she left , All 5 whipped out them phones like robots ....

This ^^

I work at a large University up here and the reliance on smart phones is beyond an addiction , it has become an OCD of sorts and not a good one .
Kids actually use it to shut themselves off from others . IE: , you'll be walking toward them and before you can get a chance to nod or say hello they will look down at their phone . I call that one the "ignore" app.
These kids are losing communication and social skills , there needs to be some studies and public education on this to help some realise how it is effecting them .

I hate it when I am driving down the road and the car in front of me brakes for no reason and slows way below speed limit. Then when you are able to get by and look over they are on the phone. Too much distraction with electronics in vehicles these days.

I was once in a hospital and the director of that floor was talking during the morning 'huddle'. A nurse wasn't paying any attention to her director and was texting on her phone.

The nursing director saw her employee texting and proceeded to chew her out for being inattentive to what was being said.

I can understand why people are zombies on their cell phones.

I love my smartphone, it goes everywhere I go. However I seldom use the phone part...it can be months between phone calls, and weeks between texts, there is only one game on it - solitaire. But lots of apps - calculator, unit conversions, GPS speedo, compass, level, weather, db meter, guitar tuner, Torque, and a few more. And a big music file, it's my default MP3 player now.

We just returned home from a wedding we attended in Texas. My wife and I sat about at the midpoint (front to back) in the church. As we watched the ceremony, I couldn't help but notice the number of people who were busy on their smart phones-either they were texting, playing games, or playing with their apps. Afterwards, as my wife and I discussed it (she also observed it), I asked her why they even came if they didn't have the decency to pay attention during the ceremony. Neither of us could come up with an answer, but we both agreed (along with a few other folks at our table at the reception) that it was incredibly rude.

I've never owned a smart phone and never will. I do have a cell phone, but during the wedding ceremony both my cell phone and my wife's cell phone were turned off and left in the glove box of the car. There is nothing so important that I need to be tethered to any sort of gadget.

I believe the phone companies have done a fantastic job of marketing smart phones to people who firmly believe that their life has to revolve around a gadget. Look at the number of people who gladly pony up hundreds of dollars every year or two to have the latest and greatest phone. On top of that, they've hooked consumers into joyfully paying $50 or more per month for the right to play with their gadget.

It's become the mindset of those weak minded enough to really believe that they can't live without their toys. They don't realize that they are missing out on much of the real world while their focus is on their little virtual world.

I find it truly disgusting that people can't live without their little toys and are tethered to it everywhere they go.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
We just returned home from a wedding we attended in Texas. My wife and I sat about at the midpoint (front to back) in the church. As we watched the ceremony, I couldn't help but notice the number of people who were busy on their smart phones-either they were texting, playing games, or playing with their apps. Afterwards, as my wife and I discussed it (she also observed it), I asked her why they even came if they didn't have the decency to pay attention during the ceremony. Neither of us could come up with an answer, but we both agreed (along with a few other folks at our table at the reception) that it was incredibly rude.

I've never owned a smart phone and never will. I do have a cell phone, but during the wedding ceremony both my cell phone and my wife's cell phone were turned off and left in the glove box of the car. There is nothing so important that I need to be tethered to any sort of gadget.

I believe the phone companies have done a fantastic job of marketing smart phones to people who firmly believe that their life has to revolve around a gadget. Look at the number of people who gladly pony up hundreds of dollars every year or two to have the latest and greatest phone. On top of that, they've hooked consumers into joyfully paying $50 or more per month for the right to play with their gadget.

It's become the mindset of those weak minded enough to really believe that they can't live without their toys. They don't realize that they are missing out on much of the real world while their focus is on their little virtual world.

I find it truly disgusting that people can't live without their little toys and are tethered to it everywhere they go.

Great post! I think you have posted more than just an opinion here. It IS rude...many people DO think that they can't live without one....and most importantly, they ARE missing out of what the real world has to offer.
But, it is what it is and people are going to do what they choose to do.
It's a far different world today than it was only twenty five years ago.

If the economy keeps going south all of these people may have to learn to live without their smartphone and cellphone toys. Because they wouldn't be able to afford their toys.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
If the economy keeps going south all of these people may have to learn to live without their smartphone and cellphone toys. Because they wouldn't be able to afford their toys.

If only that were the truth.

When some people lose their jobs, they don't stop drinking, smoking, doing drugs, or having yet more kids, in order to save money. What exactly makes you think they are going to give up their cellphone?

BC.

Yeah, unfortunately that is true. Maybe they should prohibit smartphones and cellphones in classrooms, however, so that the students can actually maybe learn something (which is making another assumption, of course-that they live anything in school anyway).

I don't know about that. I've seen many economically poor individuals with smart phones. They make having one not only a priority....but a status symbol. These types are the same people that have a crummy vehicle....yet will invest $3000 in tires and wheels to look "cool" to their peer group.

They have cell phones in the deepest parts of Africa-- sometimes the towers only get an hour per week of run time when some guy powers it up with a generator... then all the people charge their phones in town.

Like cable TV, the providers will charge what the market will bear.

"GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

[sent from a smartphone]*

*not really, just
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back