My name is Sous (well not really)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Garak
That link is far more circumspect on the matter, and for good reason.

Far more circumspect? Yes and no. They say SFN has shown to prevent or to promote tumor growth. They don't know yet how you get the desired result. That's why there are no official recommendations of any sort as far as the dosage of SFN goes. My question remains unanswered: What's the effective/not harmful dose of SFN and how do you know how much you are getting in the first place? Where does research suggest that tripling the ingested amount of a compound that may have beneficial or harmful effects is a good idea unless guidelines have been properly established? Regarding the credibility of impartial sources, this thread started by referencing a doctor who sells genetic reports through her sites.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Rhonda Patrick, mentioned earlier, promotes the growing of your own broccoli sprouts.

Thusly, dosage is not a factor here.

Please, how is dosage not a factor? Where will you go and have tested how much SNF your sprouts, homegrown or other, contain? And how will you determine the safe amount to eat if there are no guidelines regarding proper dosage? Speculation is not science. Empirically, eating cruciferous veggies a few times a week seems to have health benefits. At least I have not heard or experienced anything contrary. I simply question the hypothesis that tripling the amount of SFN ingestion is beneficial, especially if SFN is known to also have potentially harmful effects. Or maybe the OP meant to suggest that with the proper cooking method he could then cut his cruciferous veggie consumption by a factor of three.

That's my point. They don't know how to get the desired result, and the study isn't recommending any levels. They don't have heading after heading of "The Dangers of..." which is the entire SOP of the other site. With respect to the original link, I didn't watch the video or research from that, but I gather Shannow was trying to learn and follow preparation techniques, rather than obtain health advice. Only he can answer that, however.

Originally Posted by Garak
That's my point. They don't know how to get the desired result, and the study isn't recommending any levels. They don't have heading after heading of "The Dangers of..." which is the entire SOP of the other site. With respect to the original link, I didn't watch the video or research from that, but I gather Shannow was trying to learn and follow preparation techniques, rather than obtain health advice. Only he can answer that, however.

I did watch that video, and while it may be a cooking show, Dr. Patrick is certainly touting the potential benefits of SFN. Should I have missed the parts where she says no guidelines for SFN intake have been established and where she mentions potential risks and YRMV I truly apologize for even commenting in the first place.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Rhonda Patrick, mentioned earlier, promotes the growing of your own broccoli sprouts.

Thusly, dosage is not a factor here.

Please, how is dosage not a factor? Where will you go and have tested how much SNF your sprouts, homegrown or other, contain? And how will you determine the safe amount to eat if there are no guidelines regarding proper dosage? Speculation is not science. Empirically, eating cruciferous veggies a few times a week seems to have health benefits. At least I have not heard or experienced anything contrary. I simply question the hypothesis that tripling the amount of SFN ingestion is beneficial, especially if SFN is known to also have potentially harmful effects. Or maybe the OP meant to suggest that with the proper cooking method he could then cut his cruciferous veggie consumption by a factor of three.

Consuming a fistful or so of broccoli sprout a few times week,
will surely be benficial not harmful.

As stated, my health maintenance plan involves taking plant based supplements,
in moderate doses.

I do not take supplements with isolated compounds,
in purported correct doses.

vavavoom...just buy the kettle and sous vide your meat if that's your fancy...you can do the whole carnivore thing and avoid all those nasty plants with it also.

Although I'm surprised that there's any meat to eat with MEAT having to eat all those nasty plants too...

SNF? I thought that was smart phone teenager text shorthand for So Not Fair! I'm just not hip these days.

I stick to my smokers when I want tender meat cooked slowly and safely, it infuses a lot of flavor too. Plenty of time for sous vide for me if I make it long enough to wind up in some assisted living memory care facility where flavorless mush is always the bill of fare.

Nyogtha,
I agree with the BBQ bit.

Although the "well done" sous vide steak while not to my normal liking was very tender, and very tasty.

I'm just mucking around with the concept...$50 kettle versus $200 stuff (although as ed suggested the crockpot and temperature controller is another option)…

So I've got
* Gas Grill
* Offset Barrel Grill/smoker
* Weber Kettle
* Pressure Cooker
* Slow Cooker
* Oven and induction stove top (plus pots and pans
* Electric frypan/come roaster
* Microwave/Convection oven
* dehydrator
* and now a "Sous Vide" Kettle

Originally Posted by vavavroom
I did watch that video, and while it may be a cooking show, Dr. Patrick is certainly touting the potential benefits of SFN. Should I have missed the parts where she says no guidelines for SFN intake have been established and where she mentions potential risks and YRMV I truly apologize for even commenting in the first place.

I'm not taking issue with your assessment of that at all. If Dr. Patrick has an agenda, the technique, as I mentioned, might have been what Shannow was after. Aside from that, I highly doubt that any average person is taking in enough broccoli to harm themselves. If they are, it's probably a cognitive issue, a behavioural issue that would manifest itself in some other odd fashion if not broccoli overdose. Cooks, with post-nominal letters or not, often do talk about health benefits of whatever they're cooking, in passing, no matter how nebulous those benefits might be. It's still not the same as having a website that might as well be entitled The Dangers of Vegetation and pushing a primarily meat diet. I have a primarily meat diet, but that's preference and laziness. I don't need a dentist's book to hand me some confirmation bias. I'm certainly in no danger of overdosing on any broccoli compounds. Sure, I take in way too much red meat, but food is one of the joys in my life.
wink.gif

Shannow: Seeing the commercial for the sous vide here, they show a steak. I'd be interested in trying one of those steaks, but just from my lazy perspective when it comes to cooking, it happens to be more complex than I like. No, it's not complex by anyone else's measure. I'm spoiled by my Opti-Grill where I hit the steak button to preheat it, put the steak on when it beeps, and when I hear two more beeps, I know it's done perfectly for rare steak

As for appliances, I may have a slow cooker somewhere in the house. If I can't find it, I may get another. They are handy for little roasts, especially when one's a carnivore and isn't concerned with vegetables - just some onion mix and water and a roast in the cooker.
wink.gif
The gas grill was such an entry level one, well, you know how quickly those turn to rust. Years back, my mom did a bunch of experimenting with a dehydrator, making her own jerky, even.

Sous Vide FTW.

Savory, healthy meat and leafy greens compromises 80% of what I consume.

Favorite meats include, paleo bacon, gourmet chicken sausages, Diestel Ranch turkey, salmon burgers and Epic bison bars.

I converted my crock pot for sous vide. about $30.00 or so and works great. plenty of info on you tube.

just for the discussion, I'm going to try a reverse sear on a ribeye tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back