My moms camry using oil big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I go to my moms house ill check her oil in the camry and I got to add sometimes 2 to 3 qts of oil. Most of the time ill check it and theres nothing on the stick. It doesn't smoke at all and for some reason the car keeps going strong. Its not leaking it because I checked many times. Whats going on. The car calls for 5w20. She runs dino and cheap carquest filters. Should I run something else maybe hm oil 5w30 in it now. its got 147,000 miles on it. I don't remember the year of the car. Its making me wonder were all the oils going. Like I said no smoke out the tail pipe and the bottom of the car is bone dry. She parks in the same spot in the garage and still never a drop of oil on the concrete.

OK, I am assuming you have checked the coolant and see no globs of oil in it.

Its got to be getting burned. What color is the inside of the tailpipe?

Any smoke at startup after sitting overnight?

I would go to 5W30 oil.

Not much left for it to be except worn rings in general or a crudded up oil control ring.

Check compression.

Nothing on the floor then its probably burning it, the cat can hide a lot of the smoke. Try PP or Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 next time, it will probably take a while but it may just clean the rings up.
I would stay with the Xw20.

I'd move up to Maxlife 5w30 or another HM 5w30. The 5w30 HM should burn off slower and 5w30 is better than no 5w20!

If it's bad enough where your worried about not being able to check it for a long time theres always a 10w40 HM, which just as before is better than no 5w20!

Since its known for helping greatly with oil consumption, I'snt this a great candidate for Mobil1 HM 5 or 10W 30?

It probably has the POS 2.4L introduced for 2007 MY. My dad has one. It burns a quart every 1500 miles. Toyota will never own up to this. Will never purchase one of their overrated sh1tboxes.

Originally Posted By: maximus
It probably has the POS 2.4L introduced for 2007 MY. My dad has one. It burns a quart every 1500 miles. Toyota will never own up to this. Will never purchase one of their overrated sh1tboxes.

Lol you're saying Toyota's are junk? You drive a Hyundai
crackmeup2.gif

So is it defective mechanics on this engine series or age related like gummed up rings?

OP which engines/model year? That can help get the bottom of this. If it's mechanical, oil might not help at all.

Its a 97 camry and I found out there is a lot of them with this issue that Toyota wont fix. There was a tsb sent out but Toyota is doing nothing to help. There is a class action lawsuit against Toyota now.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: maximus

Lol you're saying Toyota's are junk? You drive a Hyundai
crackmeup2.gif

Not junk, overrated. They're living off of their reputation they had in the 90s. Their current offerings are no better their competitors.

And yes, I drive a Hyundai and it doesn't burn any oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Its a 97 camry and I found out there is a lot of them with this issue that Toyota wont fix. There was a tsb sent out but Toyota is doing nothing to help. There is a class action lawsuit against Toyota now.

97! I had one of those!

2.2L 5S-FE engine. I had upwards of 500K KMs on it, and it did not burn a substantial amount of oil, but the rings were prone to carbon. Once it was so bad I could hear lost compression in one cylinder while cranking it up. To be fair, that was after an experiment with raw vegetable oil in the crankcase
lol.gif

Anyhoo, it recovered, ring got unstuck (with PYB interestingly enough).

I would try a HM 5w30 or even PYB
wink.gif
5w30 is the specified grade for that engine. Whether it was back-specc'd to 20 was inconsequential to me. I ran everything from 20W20 HDEO to 5w20 PCMO, and it didn't complain.

Get those rings freed!

Im thinking a little mmo in the oil and some tectron in the gas tank then change out the oil within 500 miles and replace with some high mileage 5w30 syn oil and a fram ultra. The car calls for 5w20 but IF I have too ill put shell rotella 15w 40 in there.

A friend had a 96 camry V6 (older body style than the 97) that used to burn a little oil when warm. I only noticed the smell if I was behind him on the freeway, and it wasn't a strong smell. The first time I thought it was my car. I never smelled it in his car. It never left a spot anywhere either. He always used the cheapest 5w-30 an added one quart at 12-1500 miles and changed it between 2500 and 3000 miles. He said it got diluted real bad and burned off quicker at over 2000 miles. He got the car for free with over 200k on it. It had almost 300k on it when it got stolen.

4 cylinders or 6? If you didn't change your conventional oil every 3000 miles with the V6 (usually 1MZ-FE) then you could easily expect the engine to get damaged by sludge.

And the 2.4L engine in the Camry (2AZ-FE) was introduced in 2002, not 2007.

Everytime I go to my moms house ill check her oil in the camry and I got to add sometimes 2 to 3 qts of oil. Most of the time ill check it and theres nothing on the stick. It doesn't smoke at all and for some reason the car keeps going strong. Its not leaking it because I checked many times. Whats going on. The car calls for 5w20. She runs dino and cheap carquest filters. Should I run something else maybe hm oil 5w30 in it now. its got 147,000 miles on it. I don't remember the year of the car. Its making me wonder were all the oils going. Like I said no smoke out the tail pipe and the bottom of the car is bone dry. She parks in the same spot in the garage and still never a drop of oil on the concrete.

Im thinking a little mmo in the oil and some tectron in the gas tank then change out the oil within 500 miles and replace with some high mileage 5w30 syn oil and a fram ultra. The car calls for 5w20 but IF I have too ill put shell rotella 15w 40 in there.

I ran the M1 HM in my Chevy LS 6.0 liter truck and felt like the progress in getting the oil consumption down was waaaay too slow. Went from a quart every 1200 to one every 1800 in 4 normal OCI's. 50% improvement but probably close to a dozen quarts of makeup oil in that time added to the 24 quarts of OCI fill ups. Oil was costing me 50% more than what it cost for a change.

I got tired of adding make-up oil so I tried a quart of MMO this spring at the end of an OCI, now after going 2000 miles from the change that consumption has gone down to a barely any oil at all used - looks like 1/8th of a quart low on the dipstick. To me it makes more sense to run the MMO cleaner in your crankcase because its about the same cost as 1 quart of oil. I ran it in average outdoor temps, 50 - 80F and noticed the oil pressure went down from 60 to 55 when fully warmed up, but it didn't seem to reduce the lubrication or cause any unnecessary wear, and didn't even seem to have an effect on the used oil, it came out the same shade of brown as it usually does. Didn't really do much for cold start piston slapping, but the valves seem somewhat quieter (on another synth).

I guess I'll eventually have to do a UOA to see how much wear I'm actually getting. At least so far I'm not pouring more oil in every month or two.

I guess you just have to determine if it's a significantly sludged engine, and if it's not likely the main problems are PCV needing replaced, stuck rings, and remotely maybe valve seals and guides. MMO worked fine for me on what I think was stuck rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back