My mom's '03 24v VR6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for oil recommendation for my mom's 2003 VW Jetta GLi 24v [not 12v, if that matters] VR6.

Since i got the suggestion for MY 2.0 8v Jetta it has run 4513251342541342541324513251x better. My brother maintains the car for her and hes a traditional 'every car runs with generic dino 5w30' type of guy.

She has generally had issues with newish cars breaking down; regardless of make/model. So, i want to keep this bad boy running smooth for her.

I dont know what VW's spec is for this year/engine.

It has 105k [possible switch to synth????]

We live in WA where its moderate temps. but does get below 30 on occasion in winter, or above 80-90 in the summer; also on occasion.

She drives A LOT, though its mostly hwy/fwy miles. ~70-85 miles on weekdays.

She also drives like a maniac. Im sure she drives 80-85 on the freeway.

I'd like to switch her over to synthetic so she gets more out of her OCIs. Since she drives so much. Is it too late?

I will probably also be getting her OEM Mayle or MANN filters.

Great car, I had one myself until a few months ago. I would run M1 0W-40 and a Mann filter. I tracked my car several times a month without any issues (until I reassembled a rod cap backwards, sigh).

It should have been running synthetic from the factory, as VW 502 is the spec for that engine.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Great car, I had one myself until a few months ago. I would run M1 0W-40 and a Mann filter. I tracked my car several times a month without any issues (until I reassembled a rod cap backwards, sigh).

It should have been running synthetic from the factory, as VW 502 is the spec for that engine.

robert

+1 but I would be careful on the first 2 changes ie. don't run them too long because there is probably some junk in that engine that will be cleaned out by the M1. I'd say 6K at first changing the filters at 3K so try to get a good deal on the filters. With that driving, 0w40 will last a long time in that car. Very robust.

Originally Posted By: robertcope

robert

Would you suppose this would be a 5k or 9k OCI..

I opened my mouth too soon and told her it would be a 9k OCI

Well, the factory calls for a 10K OCI, which I ran for a long time. When I really started hitting the track hard, I moved to a 5K OCI. I would probably do a few 5K runs, then do an analysis and see what happens. Probably it would be fine at 10K, but there isn't any good reason not to check!

robert

M1 0w40 or GC 0w30 plus the factory filter. I'd pull a sample at 5k and have it tested; 10k shouldn't be a problem on either of those oils.

Thanks you guys are awesome.

Hopefully my brother and her boyfriend don't throw a fit. I'm sure they will try to convince her it doesn't matter. If thats the case ILL buy the stuff for her.

They talk so much trash on VW.. Funny my current one has lasted 230k and my previous had 350k on it.

Yeah, seems like a lot of folks talk badly about VWs. I've owned quite a lot of them and they've all been very reliable. Of course, these same folks that talk trash feed it the wrong oil and probably don't follow the factory maintenance schedule... well, no wonder it has issues.

robert

German Castrol Syntec 0w30 is $29.99 for 5qt + K&N filter at Autozone through January 10.

O'Reillys has all Mobil 1 varities (including 0w40) for $4.99 per quart, no rebate needed.

FYI.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I would use either M1 0W-40, Schaeffers 5W-40 9000 or Amsoil 5W-40 AFL. There really should be no issues switching to syn oil.

Agreed

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I would use either M1 0W-40, Schaeffers 5W-40 9000 or Amsoil 5W-40 AFL. There really should be no issues switching to syn oil.

Agreed

Where do you suppose a good place to get this Schaeffers at?

Easy, Mobil 1 10w-30 High Miles.

VOA20Mobil120HM2010W30.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kaie
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Agreed

Where do you suppose a good place to get this Schaeffers at?

There are more and more places to get Schaeffers products. Here is their website, click on the retail locator tab and put in your zip code...

http://www.schaefferoil.com/

You can also send a PM to salesrep on this board, I know that many people buy their stuff direct from him.

According to a tdi forum and a vw tech bulletin. Schaeffers is not vw approved.

Apparently if an oil isn't on vw list of oils and claims to meet or exceed vw specs. They are empty claims. As VW does all the testing. And only lets the oil company know via certification letter if the oil meets their specs.

Only vw has the test results. And they are kept a secret; as well as the testing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back