My last well report I promise.

How long would that last if you were very careful with daily usage ?

Curious to hear what he says -

The wife and I do a bit better than the states 55 per day per person goal - but we grew up dry camping and are very conscious and measured about consumption.

What is included in bailing out your well? At some point sand has to stop backfilling, or the ground around would collapse.

Water can permeate sand, is the pump actually pushing sand out at this point?

What if you pushed 4000 gallons into the well? It would possibly reverse some flow of sand in due to the head of water in the pipe. Obviously 4000 gallons won’t all go in there. But it could fluidize and flush some of the sand the other way.

His well was drilled with a cable (spudder) rig. Drilled is the wrong verb, pounded is more accurate. The hole is very crooked, a drill rig will get stuck so nobody will try it. It probably has 20 feet of metal casing at the top. Bailing is dropping a tube down on a cable, grabbing some sand then pulling it back up, empty out, do again. Very time consuming when 300 feet deep. I think Chris said when the well was sunk it took a month. If the driller says the well's done it's likely done.

Start @ 4:00 to see how it "drills". @ 9:40 he bails it out.

Back