My House Was Sabotaged Last Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Bars and people who patronize them are disgusting. It would be sweet if you could somehow set a trap for the next scum bag who trespasses on your property.

I feel you 100% there, but please remember that traps work just as well on a firefighter, concerned neighbor, EMS worker, police officer, or any other human being who might be coming to save your life, property, family, or pets.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Bars and people who patronize them are disgusting. It would be sweet if you could somehow set a trap for the next scum bag who trespasses on your property.

I feel you 100% there, but please remember that traps work just as well on a firefighter, concerned neighbor, EMS worker, police officer, or any other human being who might be coming to save your life, property, family, or pets.

Oh yeah,most definitely. Any harm coming to an innocent person or animal is totally unacceptable. I was thinking more on the lines of setting up surveillance and catching them red handed.

^ that looks nice. I find LED headlights annoying and if you could mount a similar deal on your house it would keep me away at least.
laugh.gif

Mount 'em about 8 feet up but pointing 20 degrees down from the horizon, so it gets intimidating to walk up to your house but doesn't make the neighbors mad.

You may want something with a "night light" mode that goes full bore when it senses movement.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
There's a bar by my house. The people tend to wander through everyone's back yard to make it home. My best guess is that someone got sprayed with it and got mad and decided to teach me a lesson.

Ok that part leaves me with two questions:
1. How does someone get sprayed by a pump discharge hose . . . and
2. How do the people from the bar manage to wander through your backyard unimpeded?

Wow...good to hear you weren't flooded by this.

Interesting you mentioned your animals "noticed" someone. They hear things we don't sometimes and try to tell us. One of my cats had a distinct MEOW when she would discover a live scorpion on the dark brown carpet. She knew not to mess with it. She'd stand close by though and MEOW until I came over to investigate.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Basic questions:

Where did the sump hose discharge to? Do your neighbors also have drainage issues that in solving your problem made theirs worse? (Very common problem - and the exact reason many places don't allow you to discharge sump pumps right on a property line).

And when you say spray, how is it spraying? I dealt with one neighborhood dispute that had one neighbor have his sump pump discharge through a sprinkler that shot in the neighbors yard... A conversation with the sheriff ended that game...

After that, you need to make the end of your sump line difficult to move to avoid tampering. Where I live, we have drain tile under the curb line and can pay a connection charge to discharge our sump pump to it. All underground.

Draining into my driveway and into the drainage channel between the houses which is partially on my property and the neighbors property - which ties into the storm sewer. The neighbor on that side is 2 or 3 feet higher than me and his yard drains towards my house. As does the properties all around me. I hae spoke with him about it and it is okay for me to do this. It's something I try to avoid making a practice of - only in emergency situations where we're having serious flooding. He is also the type of guy who would talk to me about it before doing something like flooding my crawl space if it bothered him.

I can (legally) connect my yard's drainage to the storm sewer when I put it in - and that is exactly my plan.

By "spray" I mean the typical sump discharge. Someone wasn't paying attention and got wet feet.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...good to hear you weren't flooded by this.

Interesting you mentioned your animals "noticed" someone. They hear things we don't sometimes and try to tell us. One of my cats had a distinct MEOW when she would discover a live scorpion on the dark brown carpet. She knew not to mess with it. She'd stand close by though and MEOW until I came over to investigate.

The cats here have their own special meow for when something is in the yard. The dog just kind of coughs?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If you decide on a motion security light I highly recommend the Sansi ceramic led light.

http://www.sansi.com/products/ceramicledsecuritylight/292.htm

I have the 18w model. It is highly configurable in direction, motion sensor sensitive and also has a Day/night option along with a timer for light duration.

I think I actually have those exact lights. They kept going off last night (as they have been all week with the pets noticing something up) and I got frustrated and turned them off. When someone was in my yard haha.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
There's a bar by my house. The people tend to wander through everyone's back yard to make it home. My best guess is that someone got sprayed with it and got mad and decided to teach me a lesson.

Ok that part leaves me with two questions:
1. How does someone get sprayed by a pump discharge hose . . . and
2. How do the people from the bar manage to wander through your backyard unimpeded?

I guess I meant they got wet feet from walking by it while it was pumping.

There's a bar parking lot in my back yard. People barhopping will park at one and wander between the bars around here. Shortest path is through everyone's yard. Or just nieghborhood people from a few streets over will walk through our yard.

sounds like you need a cheap 6ft tall chain link fence. cameras, lights, and anything else won't stop people from waling through. and even if you get them on camera doing damage, the damage is done. tall fence will get the drunkies to walk around to the next yard

I guess I meant they got wet feet from walking by it while it was pumping.

There's a bar parking lot in my back yard. People barhopping will park at one and wander between the bars around here. Shortest path is through everyone's yard. Or just nieghborhood people from a few streets over will walk through our yard.

So . . . you and your neighbors don't have fences around your backyards?

Fix the drainage pump to some PVC pipe and be done with it. I have not seen folks use garden hose for this application as a permanent method of draining a sump pump.

There are some municipalities in NY that by code require you drain sump water outside the structure, and not into the sewer.

Some family members noticed that in winter, it was dripping water all over their driveway, and causing icing. That promptly made them start draining their sump water into the sewer.

While you are plumbing the piping, you may consider a battery backup, or a water powered backup for the sump pump.

Oh I don't miss having a basement at all.

When you say shallow hole, is your sump just a 5 gallon bucket?

Do you have a tile running around the inside of your crawlspace?

Bear traps work nicely!

It's a liability, I know! Only wishing.....Your home is your castle. I feel violated when someone conducts nefarious acts on my abode.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back