My House Was Sabotaged Last Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
When you say shallow hole, is your sump just a 5 gallon bucket?

Do you have a tile running around the inside of your crawlspace?

It is a 5 gallon bucket for now. Once spring rolls around I will be dropping in a traditional sump basin.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Fix the drainage pump to some PVC pipe and be done with it. I have not seen folks use garden hose for this application as a permanent method of draining a sump pump.

There are some municipalities in NY that by code require you drain sump water outside the structure, and not into the sewer.

Some family members noticed that in winter, it was dripping water all over their driveway, and causing icing. That promptly made them start draining their sump water into the sewer.

While you are plumbing the piping, you may consider a battery backup, or a water powered backup for the sump pump.

Oh I don't miss having a basement at all.

I'm using the traditional 1.5'' discharge hose. Once the work starts on the permanent drinage, it will be something a bit more appropriate for long term use

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I guess I meant they got wet feet from walking by it while it was pumping.

There's a bar parking lot in my back yard. People barhopping will park at one and wander between the bars around here. Shortest path is through everyone's yard. Or just nieghborhood people from a few streets over will walk through our yard.

So . . . you and your neighbors don't have fences around your backyards?

My yard is partially fenced in. One of the prior tennants before I bought the house did that. I have the only fence I know of on my street and a few others nearby.

Well what fun that turned out to be!

The way I have it dug out, water doesn't accumulate generally. Except for when we have a really soaking rain, I will end up with a lot of water in the crawlspace. Then the sump pump has to cycle every now and then for a few days.

Overnight Friday we had a bit of a snow storm and the temperature dropped significantly. Discharge froze and burst.

So I ran another one out the window in the kitchen for a few days.

Thermostat died for the furnace

Roof ice dammed and leaked in through the wall.

Ouch.

On my roof I pull on one eve. The hasn't been a problem for most of it, but I have a vent pipe right next to the wall, and it lifts the cap off the roof. At least it's a low roof and easy to pull from. So now I usually pull snow from that roof after each storm.

Noticed the other day that my furnace is leaking water. Again. Air valve that likes to lose its o-ring. Hoping it lasts into spring...

Home ownership, what fun.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Well what fun that turned out to be!

The way I have it dug out, water doesn't accumulate generally. Except for when we have a really soaking rain, I will end up with a lot of water in the crawlspace. Then the sump pump has to cycle every now and then for a few days.

Overnight Friday we had a bit of a snow storm and the temperature dropped significantly. Discharge froze and burst.

So I ran another one out the window in the kitchen for a few days.

Thermostat died for the furnace

Roof ice dammed and leaked in through the wall.

You're going to love that house (after all you've done and still doing).

Do you see any career for you as renovating 1 house every 2 years (IRS gains) in your area?

With all the wind we had, there really wasn't much snow on the roof, so I didn't rake it like I usually do. Not sure where the ice came from.

But, fun weekend of home ownership. The section with the missing foundation started to sink again thanks to the flood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back