My house sold! 5 days on the market, $15k over asking!

That's exactly what happens around here. A 3 bedroom/2 bath around 1800 sq ft house will have multiple offers the day it hits the MLS so you end up with a bidding war.

Yep, same here in Florida with low inventory.

My brother helped his son buy a starter home (around $450K) and they were the highest bidder.

Too late to edit.

I gave my nephew a $6000 check to help pay for any appliances, minor R&R, paint, furniture, etc…. he will need for his starter home. Folks his age 25-26 really can’t afford to buy a home unless their parents help with purchase.

Last edited:
Rant On:

I'm not giving a Realtor $25G (6pts) to sell my house in a week in a hot market. IMO an over-paid "car salesperson" The alternative may be hard work for a couple months.
But it's really not Funny Money and its certainly not chicken feed.

Rant over.

I do not consider that a rant...in fact not even close to being a rant.

Realtors...sigh....I will be banned if I express my thoughts about them...
Sold my last 9 properties without them, and it was actually easier than with a realtor. No idiot sticking their nose in where it shouldn't be, creating unnecessary work, and trying to pretend that they are important and relevant.

Realtors are much like gum stuck on the sole of your cowboy boot...the sooner you get rid of it, the better.

I just love how people bad-mouth other professionals. I'd love to know what they do so everyone could take a turn explaining why they are also grossly overpaid and not worth hiring.

Too late to edit.

I gave my nephew a $6000 check to help pay for any appliances, minor R&R, paint, furniture, etc…. he will need for his starter home. Folks his age 25-26 really can’t afford to buy a home unless their parents help with purchase.

Really???

All 3 of my daughters owned their own homes, no help from anyone. Yes my oldest is now deceased, but she bought her house at 23, the other two girls were 22, and 24 when they purchased.
They are now 24, 28, and should be 30 this year if still alive.
Work hard, get a good job, don't blow every nickel you make at your jobs between age 15 and say 23, and you can buy a house easily. Then rent out the basement as a mortgage helper, and pay it off. It isn't really tricky or difficult.
Nobody helped me with anything, and I am glad they didn't. It meant that I had to learn how to do it for myself.
My kids knew not to come asking for money for stuff like cellphones, college, cars, etc. Because they were aware that my answer would be get a job...or two or three or four jobs if need be. My youngest is a dental hygienist, she worked and saved money for college. When she had enough saved to go, she went to college and still worked.
In April she bought a house, at age 24. Her renter in the basement pays 58% of her mortgage, and she makes good money as a dental hygienist, plus she is also still a part time pool life guard for the city.
She makes $65/hour as a hygienist, and $38/hour as a life guard.
Stop coddling kids, and tell them to spread their wings and soar instead.
My 28 year old moved back in with me, but to help me, not because she had to, and I'm glad she did.
Her house that she bought at age 22, is now rented, and makes her money every month. But she may choose to leave and go back anytime, and resume the life she had, before flipping her own life upside down to come back here, and help me.
She is the 1 of my 3 girls who was like me, and hated school, and dropped out. She worked hard from age 16 to 19, and then went into business for herself, and is doing really really well.
My middle child is also the smartest of the 3, which most people probably wouldn't expect, considering that she was the high school drop out, and the other 2 went to college.

I just love how people bad-mouth other professionals. I'd love to know what they do so everyone could take a turn explaining why they are also grossly overpaid and not worth hiring.

My cousin who is a realtor, has many times to my face, called his customers "Suckers" and "Fools".

At a family reunion in 2017, he said that in a fair world he should be making 5% of what he does make, especially considering that " A retarded monkey, with 1 eye, 1 arm, and 1 leg, is over qualified to do his simple job".
Does that help answer your question???

My cousin who is a realtor, has many times to my face, called his customers "Suckers" and "Fools".

At a family reunion in 2017, he said that in a fair world he should be making 5% of what he does make, especially considering that " A retarded monkey, with 1 eye, 1 arm, and 1 leg, is over qualified to do his simple job".
It adds to the discussion. Can't say I agree, although in specific individual cases I'm sure it's true. I'm sure your cousin knows himself better than anyone else so if he considers himself a retarded monkey he's probably correct. :)

CanAmAndMore,

I promised to help him and I always keep my word.

With inflation everything going up in price and $2000 is peanuts. The folks on TV here in the USA keep saying to ignore the inflation.

Last edited:
CanAmAndMore,

I promised to help him and I always keep my word.

With inflation everything going up in price and $2000 is peanuts. The folks on TV here in the USA keep saying to ignore the inflation.

It is very kind of you Dave.

Honestly you are a better person than I am, and i mean that.

While I was financially capable of helping my kids out, I wouldn't. Right or wrong, I told them to stand on their own two feet.
Many people would call me cruel, maybe its true.

Most people would consider many sales professionals in many industries overpaid . But Sales People on an industrial level keep semis full and their customers productive. Not to mention adding profits to the bottom line.

I find it hard to believe that those who have sold a house without a Realtor (or who thinks they can) know all the nuances of Real Estate Law in the state which they live in. Not to mention the fact the liability switches to the agent when the listing paperwork is signed.

Last edited:
I'm already moved in 🙂 my girlfriend owns her place outright and runs her salon from home, plus the garage/shop is already hoist and air equipped to allow me to work for myself from home as well. It really is a perfect setup.
Are you going into business full time, or as a side job?

Rant On:

I'm not giving a Realtor $25G (6pts) to sell my house in a week in a hot market. IMO an over-paid "car salesperson" The alternative may be hard work for a couple months.
But it's really not Funny Money and its certainly not chicken feed.

Rant over.
Tell your realtor if he wants the listing to kick down a point. That's what I did. The property is gonna sell itself.

Do you have a 2% realty there?

Screenshot_20230716-205019_Firefox.jpg

Have you check their (yelp/google) reviews? I haven't...just asking?

No.
But an employee recently used them to sell her house, and said they were better than her last experience with a more expensive realtor.

I personally sell my own places, and don't need or want a realtor involved screwing up everything.

No.
But an employee recently used them to sell her house, and said they were better than her last experience with a more expensive realtor.

I personally sell my own places, and don't need or want a realtor involved screwing up everything.
OK-However, I know several Realtors and they are very professional. Selling properties yourself-and assuming all the liability works-until it doesn't.

OK-However, I know several Realtors and they are very professional. Selling properties yourself-and assuming all the liability works-until it doesn't.
Find a good broker, negotiate a sliding scale fee and the work they do is worth it. No comparison to a car salesman.

If the house is empty? He/she checks it (if not you picked a loser) Say the inspection yielded some stupid nits and you are in another state or 100+ miles away? He she fixes it, no questions, no charge. Our last one was well connected and easily cleared a couple hold ups. In WA we do have some tricky BS paperwork for disclosure and the laws change annually.

I've never had a broker screw up anything.

Again, sometimes it's best to DIY, other times worth the $$$

Reactions: CKN
If they act in a professional manner, I have no issue with them whatsoever. Many of the ones I have interacted with were far from professionals.

Back