My HF battery tester died

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HF battery tester suddenly died for whatever reason. I took it apart and check for continuity and everything seems good. the meter still read voltage, but the load part does not heat up. I tested the rod and it has continuity.

Anyone have any other ideas whats wrong?? it is this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt12-volt-battery-load-tester-69888-9191.html

So if i can't fix it, what should i buy yo replace it??

I suppose there isn't a thermal fuse?

Test the leads for continuity to where they meet the rod?

You have a toaster with resistance elements that are surely the cheapest available on the market. What do you expect? People talk of HF garbage failing all the time. Their stuff is meant to be used a few times until it breaks then be thrown away, so you get to buy it again.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I suppose there isn't a thermal fuse?

Test the leads for continuity to where they meet the rod?

I don;t think there is a fuse. i check continuity in many combinations. only think i can think of is there is something inside the rods that is bad

I have the exact same tester. Mine still works, but the tester is pretty much worthless, the readings it gives are highly unreliable. In order to be useful it would need to have a carbon pile several times larger.

I would never have bought the thing. A friend of mine asked a very cheap friend of ours to pick up an inexpensive battery charger while he was in the States, and he brought him this turd instead.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
My HF battery tester suddenly died for whatever reason. I took it apart and check for continuity and everything seems good. the meter still read voltage, but the load part does not heat up. I tested the rod and it has continuity.

Anyone have any other ideas whats wrong?? it is this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt12-volt-battery-load-tester-69888-9191.html

So if i can't fix it, what should i buy yo replace it??

Same thing happened to me. All you have to do is re crimp the rods to the bracket.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I just ordered a Solar conductance battery tester for $70 from Amazon.

Link PLEASE!!!

Is it anyone of these, if so which one??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I have one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html

works great.

The Solar one that also checks starting voltage and alternator output is the same price of less.

Except it doesnt provide impedance and cant be had with a 20% off coupon. Im really not a fan of HF, but this is a diamond in the rough. The solar was not useful to me.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Rand
I have one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-automotive-battery-analyzer-66892.html

works great.

The Solar one that also checks starting voltage and alternator output is the same price of less.

Except it doesnt provide impedance and cant be had with a 20% off coupon. Im really not a fan of HF, but this is a diamond in the rough. The solar was not useful to me.

I was pretty sure you would post what you did. I am still in the evaluation mode for the Solar.

Hey you're putting solar out on lots of threads. Sorry, but I don't think it's that useful nor better. People can make informed decisions how they like, but its important to know that options exist.

the switch died.trick will be finding one that will hold up at 100a.
all these cheesegraters have this problem.
mine has a heavy 12 relay of unknown spec that i got at midwest surplus.its got a ford part number on it.firs like it was made for the purpose.now the switch just turns on the coil.
some of these testers have poor crimp connetions directly to the wires.if yours is made like that you might sandwitch the joint with a bolt,nut,ans 2 large washers.
and the suggestion to get the hf carbon pile is bad!
the load apply shaft threads strip.
no parts for it either.another piece of landfill fodder.
same chinese oem makes that unit for many name brands too.different paint job.still garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back