My Grandma is on her death bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, last Tuesday, my Grandma went in to the hospital due to constipation, which is unusual since she usually has the exact opposite. They XRay'd her and found and impaction in her bowel. They immediately took her in for surgery to remove it. They ended up removing a portion of the bowels.
When I heard about that I was surprised, as it must have been pretty serious for them to do that in her condition. She has congestive heart failure, along with a bunch of other problems. I dont remember 1/5th of them. Something that always comes up after surgery, no matter what, is infection and slow healing. One of the nurses we spoke to said she had one of the longest medical histories "she had ever seen."
She was doing pretty good the day after, but, after that she started to go down hill. On Saturday, the hospital here in Moses Lake decided they didnt have the knowledge and suggested a transfer to a hospital in Spokane. She was transported that night by ambulance, lights and sirens, to Deaconess in Spokane. Sunday night, after they finally got a CT scan done, we got the bad news.
She had an infection next to where the bowels were cut and spliced back together. It was not healing, and neither was the cut on her stomach where she was cut for the surgery.
They told us they looked at the incision when they redressed it, and it was "not four days worth of healing."
They told my Mom and my Grandpa they could operate to fix it, but it would require being put on life support for weeks, and multiple surgeries over months. With maybe a 10% chance of survival.
My Mom waited by her bedside for hours until she woke up and was coherent. She goes in and out of coherency due to the drugs and infection. My Mom asked her if she wanted to have surgery.
"No, No. Ive had enough."
"You understand you will die if you don't have surgery?"
"Yes."
So, now, all they can do is try to make her comfortable. All my Uncles except one has managed to make it up to say goodbye. She made a crack after one of them said, "Its like a family reunion here." "More like a funeral."
She told them that she accepts it and "Lived a full and happy life, with wonderful children and grandchildren."
We made arrangements to have her transferred back to Moses. An ambulance is scheduled to pick her up tomorrow at 10am and bring her to a hospice here. Me and my Mom came home last night to meet it and do the admit paperwork when it arrives. She might not even make it here. Which, a part of me wants to be selfish and be able to see her again, but Ill always want to see her again. Really, the earlier the better. Less suffering.

Man, I am so sorry to hear that. I think a little comfort can be taken in the fact that Grandma is getting a chance to say goodbye and She's going on Her terms.

I am still very sorry and hope that all Your family is able to gather together in time.

Sending thoughts Your way.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, Colt. Just don't know what to say.
frown.gif
Your Grandma and family will be in my prayers.

I am truly sorry and saddened to hear the news my friend. Looks like you have a wonderful family as they came out to see her in her greatest time of need.

frown.gif

Bummer, sad to hear it. Short of the infection part, that was the situation with my grandmother last winter when she passed. She didnt have the infection, but the cancer inside got to the point where she was in pain and didnt want to deal anymore.

It is such a tough thing - I dont have any good advice, so just hang in there and keep your head up. Remember the good times and try not to fixate on this. Just show your love.

Sorry to hear the situation.

Very sorry to hear this...I really does sound like you have a awesome family as they came out to see her in her greatest time of need...Prayers for you and your family.

Very sorry to hear. You're right, you'll always want to see her again, but that's how it is I guess. It's good that you got to say your goodbyes and all that.

Just said a prayer for her. My mom died of pretty much the same thing. The blockage was from cancer. She did not survive the surgery. Now I go around telling all my over-50 friends to get a colonoscopy.

So sorry to hear about that bud.

Its hard to look at the positive, but I'm sure shes happy and content with the life she's lived, and the family shes raised.
Thats all any of us can ask.

All the best to your family.

Wishing you strength and family support today and in the days to come. Cherish the good memories.

Best to you and your family. Prayers sent.

Colt, my mother's death had many of the aspects as your grandmother's.

In the end, my mother chose not to have a ventilator put back down her throat to breathe for her after a surgery and a number of procedures which had proven fruitless.

Your grandmother must be a woman of grat faith to face death so bravely as did my mother. My prayers are with you and your family. If you have a fraction of the faith that your grandmother has you all will be fine.

Last edited:
Colt45ws,

Very sorry to hear about this. My wife was born and raised in Moses Lake, and we go there at least once a year. With it being such a small town and all, I can't help but wonder if my wife may know her, or know of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back