My girlfriend's new ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my surprise my girlfriend got a 2001 PT Crusier today. It has approx. 85000 miles on it. We took it for a ride today and it literally drives like new. The guy she bought from I swear is one us if not among us has maintained it since it was new. It was his mom's car prior to him owning it. Its had Quakerstate oil since new and fram filters (gasp the only thing that makes me unsure of him being a bitoger lol). All the fluids are fresh, he changed the oil yesterday and changed 2 V-belts (both of which I have no idea yet what they go to) even though he knew it was going today. My girlfriend got it for like $6k. sounds like a great deal to me. O and its inferno red.

$6k seems a little high to me, considering my dad got an '08 with 30k miles on it for ~$10k a year and a half ago, but he loves it. Good luck with the new ride! Not really my style, but he's had pretty good luck with his.

The timing belt is due @ 90K. Don't let it go because this one will break and bend the valves.

The valves won't hit the pistons. They hit each other if the cam timing gets off when the belt breaks.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
seems like he was, so how hard is a timing belt to do, or how much to just hire it done?
It's a major operation! Bout 8 hrs book time for someone that does it alot.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
seems like he was, so how hard is a timing belt to do, or how much to just hire it done?
It's a major operation! Bout 8 hrs book time for someone that does it alot.

Ooops. Sounds like someone traded it in to avoid a several hundred dollar maintenance bill...

Ouch.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Boy you guys sure know how to rain on his parade.........

At least he is informed now.

Allow me to turn that rain shower into a deluge.

The KBB private-party value of said vehicle, in typical spec, is less than $3600. And that's if it's in "excellent" condition.

Sorry, bro...

Good thread.

My brother and his wife bought a used PT Crusier about two years ago, and now from this thread I know to ask him about how many miles are on it, and warn him about the timing belt getting done before 90K.

BTW last summer when they were taking the PT and there Tahoe for a week long camping trip with there three kids and gear the PT got hit big time when some young woman driver ran a stop sign. My brothers wife was driving the PT, ended up in the hospital for a day, and she still has back and neck pains.

PT was almost a write off but was just short of total on damage. Six weeks later it is back looking like new.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
It's good because its a 2.4.

One of Chrysler's better engines!

Unfortunately the car takes forever to go 100 mph.

Well the deal is done, FWIW. KBB price based upon what? trade in? Private party?

Well maintained examples do command a premium for any car, as most folks don't maintain cars.

WRT the TB, it is what it is. That is the nature of timing belts. Suck it up and do it. It isnt a lousy situation, it just is what it is. It was coming sooner or later. Now shell have roughly 100k before it has to be done again.

Timing belt or timing chain is one of the things that I figure out *BEFORE* I buy any older, cheaper car...

A $6000 PT Cruiser in my area would be no older than a 2005 model.

Well is that just wonderful. Thats actually not cool.

No, its not that great but if the car runs well for a few years you've still saved tons on buying new. Hopefully next time you can get your girlfriend to get your help on buying a car.
While they are in as far as the timing belt they might as well do the water pump too and the belt tensioner, to make sure that it won't be a problem until the belt is done again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back