My first kinda new Echo SRM-210

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd finally had it with my Ryobi 890 four stroke. It was a decent weedeater for the first 4-5 years of ownership. Decent power, decent on fuel, a bit heavy now that I've had something to really compare to. Started well too, That is when the carb wasn't giving a fit. I've tried stabil, running it empty, ect. It never failed if it sat unstarted for more than a few weeks I'd have to clean it out. Sometimes it would run well through half the yard then loose the upper 1/4 of its power. (Ran well until you pushed it past 3/4 throttle) I'd usually finish trimming at 3/4 or less throttle.

Well a few weeks ago I tried the usual stuff. My results weren't usual though. It would start and idle great. I must have cleaned the carb at least 3 times. There's something wrong other than trash. The primer bulb is new yet won't pump fuel. (bad check valve? or diaphragm) Who knows? Who cares! I wasn't going to spend anymore on fixing it! I was going to get what use I could without spending anything on it.

I scanned nearly every page of the small engine forum for posts of trimmer, weedwacker, weedeater, and such. And seen LOTS of posts mentioning Echo trimmers. Several posts about the SRM-210. I read up on it. Thought I'd like one a bit bigger but the 210 was in the price range I'd like to spend. I went to my local dealer. (one I didn't really like) Surprise, None in stock... In fact not one piece of Echo power equipment!
54.gif
I've had issues, and several others that I know has as well with this dealer.

Road trip, Next town over. Dealer tells me the 210 was replaced with a redesigned unit. Eh... no thanks. It might be a great unit. I'll let someone else test the first 1000 or so.
55.gif

Recommends I buy a SRM-230 instead... Only the county road department had bought 6 earlier that year and one of the guys had lost the air filter cover of one the day before I showed up. The only one he had was on his last SRM-230 in stock. He pulled the cover off the one on the floor and let them have it. (I guess if you have a customer that buys 6 $270 trimmers at a time you try to keep em going. I don't blame him, I'd have done the exact same!)

Granted I'm not having much luck at this point. Its late in the mowing season so I understand dealers not having 3-6 of each unit in stock. So I ask what the possibility of locating a 210 still in a warehouse or nearby dealer. He called his district rep and he was told no such luck. Rep hadn't seen one in several months. I thanked him and told him if I didn't find a 210 or 230 that day that I would be back for a 230 in a few days when his replacement filter cover was in.

Stopped in a nearby Home-Depot. And there was a refurb SRM-210 right up front! Marked down to $119. WoW! Snatched it up and took it home. This is been the absolute easiest starting trimmer I have ever seen! There wasn't much signs of use, scratched up but no real grass stains. Several screws on the engine showed some rust. (Left outside perhaps) Wonder why it was returned??? My 5 yo son can start it! Once warm you can slowly (I mean very slowly!) pull the rope out and it usually will light off on the second compression stroke.

I've always hated the smell and smoke of most 2 strokes. So I also done some poking about oil here in this forum. I bought some of that Mobil 1 2T. I have to say I can't tell the exhaust smell from a four stroke even with my nose right in the muffler! NO smoke at all at 50:1. Sometimes a short puff at cold start.

o'reilly auto parts

I couldn't decipher when reading about that stuff if it had changed names or discontinued or both. Some posts said MX2T some Racing 2T. I bought one quart at first... went back for more... should I go back and get the last couple. Even though I can't foresee me burning the few quarts I do have.

They have been making those for quite a while. I think I bought mine new for about $ 199.99 or so from Home Depot and it has to be about 12+ years old.

I needed to replace the clear fuel line..but that is about it. I think the ethanol got to it in gasoline and it cracked and began to leak..

I find priming it a few times with the choke up (on) and then kinda easing the choke off very gradually while holding the throtle open 1/2 to be the best way to start mine.

I have always used Amsoil Sabre' Synthetic 2-cycle oil...mixed at 50:1. great stuff!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: soldierman
o'reilly auto parts

I couldn't decipher when reading about that stuff if it had changed names or discontinued or both. Some posts said MX2T some Racing 2T. I bought one quart at first... went back for more... should I go back and get the last couple. Even though I can't foresee me burning the few quarts I do have.

Wish I could find some here in WI. I'm down to my last quart.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
They have been making those for quite a while. I think I bought mine new for about $ 199.99 or so from Home Depot and it has to be about 12+ years old.

I've heard of some that were about 16yo and still running. That's why I wanted to stay with an SRM model. The Model that replaced the 210 is an all new motor. It may be as good or even better than the 210. But I'd prefer to stick with a proven design.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Wish I could find some here in WI. I'm down to my last quart.

I'll check my oreily and see if they have any in the back if they did would you want a few? Retail + the shipping. I think there were two more. I'll likely buy those two, the way I go through 2 cycle mix those will last until something better comes along. Or at least until 2 cycles are gone for good.

BTW for anyone looking for a good measuring aid to mix with. My wife works in a pharmacy... I asked how large of a syringe they had. Turns out they carry vet supplies too. They had some vet syringes that were 2oz without a needle but did have a short snout about an inch long. Perfect to mix a 1/2 or 1 gallon. I think it was about a dollar. I mixed a gallon my first go round but as long as its lasting I'll probably just mix a half from now on. Perhaps they might be available at a farm store or co-op as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back