My First Experience With The Keurig...

I think the OP is deliberately trying to make it difficult by not using the machine as was intended, then criticizing it for not working right.

These people can't be helped.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think the OP is deliberately trying to make it difficult by not using the machine as was intended, then criticizing it for not working right.
Certainly sounds that way.

As for Keurig itself, every time I have it in a hotel room or some dealer service dept, I am so glad I don't own one. While it's convenient, you pay for it dearly with poor taste, but I suppose it's a personal preference. If I had to have a capsule system for convenience, it'd be Nespresso.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Originally Posted By: Leo99
What do you mean by "pre-packaged"? Do you mean K-cups?

As Marine said above, Keurigs are very easy to use.

I mentioned "the bottom of the k-cup wasn’t pierced"...and..."that came with the unit"...that wasn't clear enough? Yes...K-cups.

Sounds like you put the k-cup into the plastic cup that comes with the unit for use with your own ground coffee. It won't work properly that way.

My Keurig is about 3 years old and I use it 2X time per day. Never a problem but, then I use only K-cups. Walmart web site has a large box 108 K-cups for .50/cup of the Original DONUT SHOP COFFEE.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Certainly sounds that way.

As for Keurig itself, every time I have it in a hotel room or some dealer service dept, I am so glad I don't own one. While it's convenient, you pay for it dearly with poor taste, but I suppose it's a personal preference. If I had to have a capsule system for convenience, it'd be Nespresso.

I occasionally grind my own beans (burr grinder) and pour 200F water into it, in a French press. Black. Maybe some sweetened condensed milk.

I enjoy my daily Keurig K-cup or two, usually one caf and one decaf. Not nearly as delicious as the French pressed coffee, but it’s just as good as drip coffee.

I used to make 10 cups at a time, but by the time I drink the 10th cup it tastes old and burnt (reduced). Some days, no one would want coffee with me and I end up tossing half a pot!

Note: just like a drip coffee maker, some grinds get blasted into the surrounding area. I have no issues using it to make tea or use the hot water for something else, but my wife complains that the effluent tastes a little like coffee. Not a problem if you clean it out every so often or do multiple hot-water-only cups.

I will admit there is a better way to make great coffee then a Keurig.But if as one poster said you buy the cheap pods(Great Value at Walmart,double yuck) it wont at least taste decent.
I like Tully's Hawaiian blend,8 O'clock Colombian perks and Folgers black silk.
I refuse to buy any thing from Starbucks.

Originally Posted By: marine65
I will admit there is a better way to make great coffee then a Keurig.But if as one poster said you buy the cheap pods(Great Value at Walmart,double yuck) it wont at least taste decent.
I like Tully's Hawaiian blend,8 O'clock Colombian perks and Folgers black silk.
I refuse to buy any thing from Starbucks.

+1 Chinamart brand and Starbucks taste terrible!

You definitely get what you pay for. $0.50 a cup isn't bad, compared to the $2.59 jack-and-aces like Dunkin' charge for a medium cup full-o-liquid-poo.

$28 for a 2 lb bag of freshly roasted high quality Brazilian beans. This makes about 60 cups, double espresso each, so about 47 cents per cup. Granted, each cup takes a few mins of work to make.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Granted, each cup takes a few mins of work to make.

I’m glad you can finally admit defeat.
28.gif

My stepson gave us a Keurig for Christmas this past year. My wife likes this Twinings Breakfast Tea so I buy that in big boxes of K cups. I tried lots of different coffees and finally settled on Trader Joe's Colombian.
I make it on the medium size setting. Comes out perfect.

We have a Keurig. It makes a decent cup when you need one fast but I'll always use my French press or pour-over if I have time.

I like to use loose 8 O'clock grounds but if I'm REALLY pressed for time we keep Dunkin' Colombian K-Cups.

I love my Keurig!! I've had it for 6 years now and couldn't live without it. It's perfect because my gf doesn't drink coffee,so I only need it for me. I use this filter with mine. It's called an Eko Brew filter. You can buy them anywhere,it doesn't have to be ordered through Amazon. I bought mine at HEB for $9:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079C77F27/ref...la-416798140518
This is the only way to use a Keurig, I have several of these but most are plastic. After my Bunn died I couldn't decide on a brewer so I used the Keurig Mini we were gifted. I liked it because you add water every time you use it which meant I control the amount of water, I always thought it made week coffee using these Eko Brew filters if you used the suggested amount. Like others have said these things are a pain and I finally bought a Technivorm.

Problem was my wife loves it, we have been through a couple of the older style Mini and just bought a newer style a few months ago. She gets her pods at Big Lots for pretty cheap, she also likes a couple Wally carry.

I just noticed this was an old thread, oh well, still on my first cup 🤷‍♂️

Old thread...yes
Different strokes as QP said.....yes
Single cup brewing to eliminate wasted coffee.....yes
Plastic waste generated with each cup brewed.......NO WAY, that's immoral in my opinion.
Expensive contraption to make coffee in my home....NO WAY
Unfamiliarity with the coffees offered in those K-cup plastic pods.......UNACCEPTABLE. I'm a firm believer in that coffee pod makers use any powder they want to 'enhance' the flavor of the coffee. Yeah, they alter the coffee, I feel.

Let me rant: Companies which market Rain forest java lava peppermint raccoon flavored coffees are capable of food crimes....like altering foods in the name of "consistency".

Seriously, how can scorched raspberry decaf be produced so consistently? Too bad a chip shortage hasn't hit that industry.

Back