My First Experience With The Keurig...

...was not good.

When our old drip coffee maker started leaking, we were gifted the Keurig by my younger sister. I didn’t really want one, but we’re stuck with it now. First attempt was to use our own loose coffee with the cup/filter provided for that purpose. Worked okay I guess, but what a hassle to clean it for the next use. I managed thru sheer force of ignorance to leave the filter in the garbage container while trying to clean it. I imagine they sell more than a few of these as replacements for people like me.

My next attempt was a failure because I forgot to insert the pre-packaged coffee into it’s own container, with the result that the bottom of the k-cup wasn’t pierced and the water didn’t flow through it. Okay...my fault again. But if I can screw up this much when I’m wide awake, imagine how bad I’ll be at 5:00 am.

I normally drink one mug of Earl Grey in the morning...no strain-no pain. But after one cup of this coffee (strong, dark roast) that came with the unit I feel a huge caffeine kick like I haven’t felt in years. I will either go through this stuff very slowly or give it away while I look for pre-packaged decaf that I can drink. In the meantime, I’m going to make a cup of tea.

I take it you are trying to save money by not using the pods made for the machine?

I have the Nespresso Vertuo. Not the cheapest way to make coffee but the system works well. I do have to get the manual out to run the cleaning cycle soon. That’s the most complicated part of the machine. Not sure why Nespresso just didn’t put a button somewhere for a one touch operation?

I like the convenience of the pods. I don’t recycle but my wife gets the grounds for her gardening activities. The worms live the grounds.

i have a Keurig and love it.
Make sure its full of water.
lift the handle,insert a pod close the handle select brew size and start.
What could be easier?

Not really. I'll buy pre-packaged decaf if I can find it. My use of it won't be so much that I'll be worried about the cost.

I have been using Keurig for years now. Love it. I am sure there are plenty of coffee snobs whose noses turn up when you mention Keurig, but it works for me.

I like the Maud's organic coffee pods. About .40 per cup. So simple to use. Much better than getting a filter ready, filling with coffee, etc. Tastes great too!

What do you mean by "pre-packaged"? Do you mean K-cups?

As Marine said above, Keurigs are very easy to use.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
What do you mean by "pre-packaged"? Do you mean K-cups?

As Marine said above, Keurigs are very easy to use.

I mentioned "the bottom of the k-cup wasn’t pierced"...and..."that came with the unit"...that wasn't clear enough? Yes...K-cups.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
This is the answer to your problem. Makes 1 perfect cup of coffee. $1.62 at WM. Amazingly made in USA. Gift the Keurig.

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Sin...&dpSrc=srch

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-Coffee-Brewer-Brewing-Cone-1-0-CT/21777801

Great advice, or just buy a new drip coffee maker.

I had 2 keurigs for a long time. Didnt like the quality of the coffee it made..too watery. Instead I got a burr mill grinder and cuisinart coffee maker. I like nice strong coffee. I got rid of my keurigs and havent looked back.

keurig is about convienence its ok at the in-laws for the after dinner cup(they dont drink coffee)

for me I have to use 2 pods for 1 cup.. and that is $$$$ more than the most expensive coffee beans out there

I bought a coffee roaster,a grinder, and green beans in bulk. my payback on ditching the keurig was under 2 years.

also waste alot less plastic.

or another example
I get 48oz of tea bags for under $12 (makes 48 gallons)
tea bags on amazon

making tea with the keurig is over 1$ a serving. (16oz)
so you are looking at around 25cents per gallon or 8$ a gallon.

So for me its a combination of the MASSIVE expense of the k-cups and their relatively low quality.. that made me junk mine.

My old company has a Keurig. I think it is perfect for a small office. much selection. Decaff and teas are available. That said, I don't use one at home because I brew 8 cups at a time.and pour the coffee into thermos bottles.

I agree with the beans and grinder method. Having the Melitta style filter system or a French press makes it very easy. As I got older I started to sway away from that and onto the pods. The choices were overwhelming. It really came down to taste in the end.

Nespresso Vertuo now has sizes from espresso to regular cup of coffee and even a 14oz pod that could fill a small thermos. I like the Lungo size and add a splash of hot water from the boiler.

So many personal preferences to think about. What works for one person is not for another.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Maybe the machine was acting up before you got it?

No...it's brand new.

Outside of the coffee mess, at least two of our offices have had Keurigs for around a decade. One finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago. No filter & tap water + scores of cups of coffee per day = scale buildup. I was surprised it went that long before having problems.

As an aside, I tried running some heavy-duty Vinegar through it several times, which bought us another year or so of use, but never got it back to new. We tossed it when it started leaking internally.

Another was purchased within a week.

//

I got one as a gift 6-8 years ago. Using nothing but Brita-filtered water, it still works just like new. :knocks on wood:

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
This is the answer to your problem. Makes 1 perfect cup of coffee. $1.62 at WM. Amazingly made in USA. Gift the Keurig.

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Sin...&dpSrc=srch

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Melitta-Pour-Over-Coffee-Brewer-Brewing-Cone-1-0-CT/21777801

Great advice, or just buy a new drip coffee maker.

I had 2 keurigs for a long time. Didnt like the quality of the coffee it made..too watery. Instead I got a burr mill grinder and cuisinart coffee maker. I like nice strong coffee. I got rid of my keurigs and havent looked back.

It's all about the cups. Cheap pods will taste cheap. Spend $0.40-0.50 per pod on a well-reviewed brand and you'll get a nice cup of coffee. Newman's Own is pretty good - definitely not the strongest, but better than the coffee mess swill at work (drip coffee-maker). A lot of relatively cheap, tasty pods can be found anywhere.

//

I've had trouble with the reusable cups, too. I can't remember if it needs to be REALLY packed in there or looser, but it is sensitive to that. You're also right, that they're a bit of a pain to clean; however, it's not THAT much worse than a drip maker, since some grounds typically contaminate the outside of the filter and need to be cleaned each time, too.

I usually stick to my Mr. Coffee machine because its cheaper and less breakdowns. I use the family Keurig 2.0 every so often. Checking Bold on the display works pretty good. Slows down the water during brewing. Which makes a difference. a pod goes further. Tried adding coffee to the otional canister. Way too much work cleaning it after a cup. Takes seconds to clean the Mr. Coffee. Keurig ok for someone that wants a cup, maybe 2 a day. Or rich people.

Back