My first apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The living cheap thread got me thinking. I was pretty good at it when I left home. Let's say I was motivated to start off on my own. My landlady said to call her machine with references. I was too cheap to have a cell phone but I had the reference info with me so I called from a payphone in the parking lot of an Amato's restaurant next door. (Later, when I was too cheap to call 411 from home, I'd walk to that same phone booth. 411 is free at pay phones-- saves them from constantly vandalized phone books.)

apt1_zpsc87097c9.jpg

It looks good from the outside except all the fire escapes tacked on. Probably used to be a stately mansion right on main street. Was subdivided into half a dozen slums. There were great plaster on lathe ceilings ten feet up but they put in a suspended ceiling a couple feet down from that with that faux-bestos junk. I could occasionally hear chunks of plaster work their way loose and land on the sub-ceiling. Unless a mouse knocked it loose.
lol.gif

apt5_zpse01385ff.jpg

Office/ living room with a walmart glue together particle board desk and Staples leather chair. Real leather like the executives had! I was living large! CRT screen, 56k modem. Eventually cable internet found me in approx year 2000.

apt4_zpsf48384b5.jpg

I ate a lot of toast.

apt6_zps035a52a7.jpg

It's done! I eventually got a very sturdy hardwood kitchen table and chair set from, of all places, Ames! Still have it.

apt2_zps1a3e65c1.jpg

Is it a shower? A tub? I can't decide! I do remember it was slippery in there.

apt3_zps26d3455f.jpg

Sink and washer dryer hookup. In the last three months I lived there I had a washer thanks to my G/F (now wife) hooking me up. I had clotheslines draped all over. Still used the laundromat if there was never ending fog and humidity. One February I ran a garden hose out my window hooked up to the HOT water and totally washed my car. Got all the salt off. Salt comes off GREAT with hot water, BTW. My landlady didn't see me doing it or she'd have gone on a tirade.

Lived there for three years, then rented a place with my G/F/fiance/wife for ten months, then bought the shanty I live in now with 5% down. Refinanced a couple times, added a garage, things are good.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Didn't the beer get warm pretty fast stocked in your desk?

If he was paying for his own heat, I bet it never got above 55 F in the winter. LOL

While in the Navy at NAS Brunswick, Me. my wife and I rented a 3rd story apt in Bath that looked like this old home(65-66). What town is this in?

The flat was in Saco, ME. Nice enough place. There was a real hot stripper across the hall. She drove a junky olds calais "442" which meant Quad 4, 4 valves, 4 cylinders, 2 doors. She got pulled over in our driveway in the middle of the night and screamed at the cop "Are you a rookie?" I had to stop whatever I was doing and
35.gif
this mess. Cop actually did not escalate the situation. When she moved out the landlady offered me her old couch. No!

It was a 2nd story apartment and plenty of heat came up from the first story. Heat was included in rent. This was when #2 oil was 89 cents a gallon. Landlady never put any money into the place and we had those awful aluminum storm windows from the 1950s. A memo would circulate every november about putting them down. I always made a point that I set my thermostat at 60 but it was still comfortable from heat coming up from elsewhere. She agreed as she used to live there. I did my best to look like a cheap tenant (except for washing my car with hot water) and she only raised my rent $25 over three years.

PS, I note my location has been changed back to "ME" by a mod. A person can't leave!
laugh.gif

Nice first place, lots of "character."

My current 1920s apartment building isn't a whole lot better, but it works and is fairly comfortable. The windows are bad and the probably 40-50 year old elevator has been retrofitted with as many upgrades as it can without gutting it to put in a new one, and everyone still hates it.

My first off-campus apartment was a modern [censored] hole. It was built in the mid 1990s for students and was promptly trashed, and continued to get worse each year. I lived there from 2007-2009. For a while there was a massive hole in one of the living room walls. Most of the walls were also covered in beer boxes. Some beer bottles went down the garbage disposal too. Lots and lots of destruction in that place, but I learned how to repair almost any drywall damage.

so, how many degrees below zero today in your neck of woods today? frankly, Maine is way further on the list of places that I want to think today! Bahama ...

Last edited:
I LOVE the wood paneling. I can't stand it when people paint over wood paneling.

Was the toaster really your only cooking tool? I thought I lived cheap but you have me totally beat. I do keep the heat at 60 degrees though!

BTW, can anyone guess what beer is stowed away in the desk? Could it be a Schlitz?

Last edited:
Those were gag pictures I took when I moved in. I wish I got pics of the rest of the kitchen. Imagine a porcelain sink with a built in dish dryer off to the side with a slight incline. A junky "Gibson" stove/ oven that's about 20 inches wide. A clunky fridge that looks like an Airstream travel trailer. There was a drawer full of tools left over from the previous tenant including an awesome spatula I own to this day. (Spatulas should be thin IMO).

The whole apartment was inline, took the long way. It was like living on a train (or in a single-wide trailer). I cooked a lot of spaghetti. I used a "mirro" pan I got for a couple bucks, "aluminum cooks great" it said on the packaging. Then I boiled the pot dry without even smelling it and managed to melt the aluminum all over the burner. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back