My First Analysis: Some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I decided that I want to finally start checking my oil. I have a brand new motor that will have Mobil1 0w40 placed after 2-300 miles of break in.

My questions:

1. Should I use Blackstone as it seems that is what I usually see when looking at a report.

2. How much does this cost. Do you order in batches. Any advise along these lines.

3. How long does it take to get the kits and how long does it take to get reports

4. Do I need to do a VOA first even though I see that there is already VOA on Mobil1 0w40.

5. Seeing as this is a new engine when should I do the first test and subsequent tests.

Any advise for a first timer is very welcomed !!!

DH

Oh sorry...when I read the title I thought you meant Psycho-analysis...
45.gif

Do your UOA after you flush it out for a few changes to get as many residual wear metals and silicon out. Then you should get a more clear picture of how the engine is breaking in. It is a waste of time and money to do UOA's on new/new rebuilt engines before 10k. So you have a while to go.

Go to BlackStone's website and contact them for some kits. They are free. The "bare bones" analysis is $25 and checks for wear metals, fuel, coolant, viscosity. To get TBN or TAN or Particle counts are all $10 each. If you want to extend drains it is good to at least get TBN.

Don't worry about a VOA. The oils may vary slightly in additive content, but should be free of contaminant metals especially M1 0w40.

Good Luck. You have a while to wait yet.

You can also go the Polaris Route if you plan on doing this in mass. You get 10 kits for $172 or ($17.20 Each) including a TBN. I do my big trucks on each change so its more economical and I trust them more than some of the alternatives.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
You can also go the Polaris Route if you plan on doing this in mass. You get 10 kits for $172 or ($17.20 Each) including a TBN. I do my big trucks on each change so its more economical and I trust them more than some of the alternatives.

Does this include shipping??

Is there a normal interval that you guys check, like every 3K miles??

DH

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Do your UOA after you flush it out for a few changes to get as many residual wear metals and silicon out. Then you should get a more clear picture of how the engine is breaking in. It is a waste of time and money to do UOA's on new/new rebuilt engines before 10k. So you have a while to go.

Go to BlackStone's website and contact them for some kits. They are free. The "bare bones" analysis is $25 and checks for wear metals, fuel, coolant, viscosity. To get TBN or TAN or Particle counts are all $10 each. If you want to extend drains it is good to at least get TBN.

Don't worry about a VOA. The oils may vary slightly in additive content, but should be free of contaminant metals especially M1 0w40.

Good Luck. You have a while to wait yet.

Wow, I'm glad I asked first ........ I was all set to start ordering !!!

Thanks for letting me know.

DH

I would not bother with a UOA until the car has at least 20,000 miles on it. An early UOA will show high copper, iron and possibly lead which might freak you out.

VOA is not needed.

M1 0W40 is a very good product.

Also, there is nothing wrong with leaving the first fill oil in for a while - no need to change it at 300 miles.

If you don't want to spend $172 for 10 kits from Polaris, you can buy individual kits from Amsoil. Their Oil Analyzers service uses Polaris Labs. The single kits will run you $22.45 - $32.20 depending on whether you want to buy them with pre-paid shipping or not. These kits include TBN and the $22.45 price for the non-pre-paid kit is the best value since it only costs a couple of dollars to mail them First Class at the Post Office.

Originally Posted By: mva
I would not bother with a UOA until the car has at least 20,000 miles on it. An early UOA will show high copper, iron and possibly lead which might freak you out.

VOA is not needed.

Also, there is nothing wrong with leaving the first fill oil in for a while - no need to change it at 300 miles.

This is very concerning to me. I was hoping to monitor possible engine wear. Some LS7 motors are blowing up with much less than 20K miles on them.

So even if I had an early sample wouldn't it be valuable to monitor any increase in wear metals. Shouldn't the levels go down over time. And if they did not or actually increased I would have reason for concern?

DH

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Or you can get a prepaid kit from Wearcheck for $19. This includes TBN.

Wouldn't it be of value to at least see how this oil holds up (TBN) in my application. This is a daily driven C6Z06 that see track duty once a month.

DH

If you have the $20 (or so) you can get the oil done anytime you wish. Amsoil even sells a pump to pull a test if you are not going to change the oil. But as other have said you will see high wear metals and silicon.

I am not sure why some of these engines blow up early, but I doubt it due to high wear metals.

Are the engines you mention used at the track?

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie
Originally Posted By: mva

VOA is not needed.

This is very concerning to me. I was hoping to monitor possible engine wear. Some LS7 motors are blowing up with much less than 20K miles on them.

So even if I had an early sample wouldn't it be valuable to monitor any increase in wear metals. Shouldn't the levels go down over time. And if they did not or actually increased I would have reason for concern?

DH

The only value of the early UOA is to monitor the break-in process. Metals will be high for the first few oil changes. They should come down to normal levels by about 20,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you have the $20 (or so) you can get the oil done anytime you wish. Amsoil even sells a pump to pull a test if you are not going to change the oil. But as other have said you will see high wear metals and silicon.

I am not sure why some of these engines blow up early, but I doubt it due to high wear metals.

Are the engines you mention used at the track?

Yes street/track use.

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back