My error - used Toyota T-IV instead of Toyota WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! 2009 Lexus IS250 RWD. While doing transmission fluid change, I added 2.5 replacement QTs of Toyota T-IV instead of Toyota WS. Only drove 30 miles before realizing error. How do rectify this before doing damage to transmission ?

I doubt it will damage anything. So you can sleep better at night, just pull the plug to drain the pan again, and then refill with WS. That will also give you a higher percentage of new fluid. If the fluid has never been changed before, I would probably drive a few days and then drain once more. You might want a new drain plug washer on hand just in case. (NAPA ATM PB2403 fits the U341E trans, but I don't know about other models.)

For what it's worth Toyota TIV and TWS are both covered with Valvoline Maxlfe. (Would this mean they are "similar enough"? ) Your choice.

C7FC8BD6-B08B-443F-A9F8-45414BB2D74B.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
For what it's worth Toyota TIV and TWS are both covered with Valvoline Maxlfe. (Would this mean they are "similar enough"? ) Your choice.

Maxlife is cooked in a way to provide performance in various transmissions. Toyota T-IV is specific fluid for specific transmissions. Will transmission die tomorrow? No. But long term some issue might pop out. Lexus has different programmed transmission and is more under duress than same transmission in Toyota models. I would personally drain as much T-IV and replace with WS or even Maxlife. Spcific fluid is probably best when used in transmission that it is made for. But, in transmission that it is not made for might create issues down the road. Considering this is IS250 with not so much torque, I think OP will be OK with adding more WS.

My real question is how do I rectify the mixing of 2 different transmission fluids? I know max life is recommended. I need to undo my error first?

Originally Posted by mehere
My real question is how do I rectify the mixing of 2 different transmission fluids? I know max life is recommended. I need to undo my error first?

What is the total capacity of your system and how much comes out when you simply pull the plug and drain it?

The basic way to address this is to do fill-and-drains with a few miles of driving between each session.

Help! 2009 Lexus IS250 RWD. While doing transmission fluid change, I added 2.5 replacement QTs of Toyota T-IV instead of Toyota WS. Only drove 30 miles before realizing error. How do rectify this before doing damage to transmission ?

The capacity of the unit could easily be 9+Q and T-IV is not remarkably different from WS. Rest in peace the viscosity difference if insignificant to burn you up!!!

Do several drains. But do not loose sleep over this. It is not going to explode.
Another option that carries small risk in full flush.

The fluid blended completely. Are the additives significantly different in ws and t-iv who knows except a chemist. In your case a flush would likely give you better peace at night. If you're against flushing go with drain and fills until you're content. The viscosity likely only increased a little. 3-4 drain and fills should be plenty.

Frictionally, T-IV and WS are the same. Viscosity wise, there might be some sluggishness when it comes to cold-temp operation. Doubt you'll feel a difference in Phoenix. But, if it makes you feel better a drain/fill with WS wouldn't be a bad idea.

I agree with those saying the biggest change would be an uptick in fluid viscosity. I doubt that fluid itself will cause damage merely by being mixed with WS. So do some d&fs over time with ML or WS or whatever fluid of choice recommended/suitable for WS spec. I wouldn't panic, just make a plan to get closer toward WS spec and viscosity.

As reference using the Amsoil look up, the total capacity of the trans is either 7.5 qts for the A760H, or 9.4 qts for the A960E.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I agree with those saying the biggest change would be an uptick in fluid viscosity. I doubt that fluid itself will cause damage merely by being mixed with WS. So do some d&fs over time with ML or WS or whatever fluid of choice recommended/suitable for WS spec. I wouldn't panic, just make a plan to get closer toward WS spec and viscosity.

As reference using the Amsoil look up, the total capacity of the trans is either 7.5 qts for the A760H, or 9.4 qts for the A960E.

IMO D&F to get to WS viscosity is unwarranted and waste of money.

Originally Posted by nthach
Frictionally, T-IV and WS are the same. Viscosity wise, there might be some sluggishness when it comes to cold-temp operation. Doubt you'll feel a difference in Phoenix. But, if it makes you feel better a drain/fill with WS wouldn't be a bad idea.

Key point!

So MaxLife costs ~$18gal @ WM. If a single d&f brings some peace of mind for the OP, seems worth that, 'imo'. If based on the answers now satisfied with running IV, can do that. Or run it as is for a shorter interval and then do a d&f. Just depends confidence level with partial IV fill here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back