My dog is not doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in January our 100 lb sheppard mix got sick. Would not eat. Kept throwing up etc. We took him to a vet and the X-ray showed a mass in his belly. His blood test came back very bad too. They thought maybe he had eaten a sock and it was stuck in him.
He has never eaten anything like that before.

They gave him stuff to try to get him to poop. Nothing happened so they did exploratory surgery. They found his spleen had a 10 lb tumor on it. The tumor had burst and was leaking nasty stuff inside him.They removed the spleen and tumor.

Last week he got sick again so we took him back. X-ray showed a little weirdness in his belly. But the blood work came back a little off so they gave us meds and we are hoping they the cancer is not back and attached to another organ.

His diet has completly changed since his surgery. He wont eat dog food any more. We started giving him meat instead of grains per the vets request.

Now he eats like a king. Fresh ground Hamburger and hebrew national hot dogs cooked on the grill.

His cat friend even knew something was wrong with him and was comforting him the day before he had surgery.

Right now he seems to be alert. He ate 2 burgers today and was outside for a while doing whatever dogs do.

We felt that he is too good of a dog to not try to save.

IMG_20200126_063702.jpg

IMG_20191226_164659.jpg

IMG_20200126_062459.jpg

Screenshot_20200125-212714.png

May I suggest boiled boneless/skinless breast chicken and rice, with chicken bone broth. It's cheap enough if purchased at Costco, easy to make, and dogs love it. You can add a little canned green beans, a few carrot bits and squash. As long as you keep the veggies to a minimum. Feed 3x/day.

Dogs often don't do well with fatty beef, and other meat snacks such as hot dogs/slim jims/sausage, as it can directly cause pancreatitis and other issues. Dog food often has rancid fats and is not a good choice for sick dogs.

Originally Posted by Cujet
May I suggest boiled boneless/skinless breast chicken and rice, with chicken bone broth. It's cheap enough if purchased at Costco, easy to make, and dogs love it. You can add a little canned green beans, a few carrot bits and squash. As long as you keep the veggies to a minimum. Feed 3x/day.

We tried that before the meat. He won't eat it. Does not like chicken.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Chris, what a handsome man! I hope he makes it through this. You are doing everything thing you can, and the human/canine karma will reward you.

What's his name?

Scott

Guardian

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
There's a lot of reasons they call them man's best friend.

Dogs are the best!
cheers3.gif

Even better then people in many ways.

Hoping for the best for the puppy dog. My daughter had to send her Leia off today. Leia got ice cream, hot dogs and other treats on her last day. All the family was there to send her off and give her a last hug & kiss. The vet said it was time.

How old? Surprised he was doing g poorly, and is now doing better. Usually it doesn't go like that.

We had a 12 year old lab who had emergency surgery in early May to remove his spleen that had a bleeding cancer mass. Was told 3 months max. He made it five and a half until the cancer came back. Miss him every day, and his brother who had quick onset cancer and we put down last year Feb 2. Have two other dogs now but it is not the same.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
How old? Surprised he was doing g poorly, and is now doing better. Usually it doesn't go like that.

We had a 12 year old lab who had emergency surgery in early May to remove his spleen that had a bleeding cancer mass. Was told 3 months max. He made it five and a half until the cancer came back. Miss him every day, and his brother who had quick onset cancer and we put down last year Feb 2. Have two other dogs now but it is not the same.

We have had him 6 years. We think he was about 1 when we got him. He was a stray. We put up signs,craigslist adds and had him scanned for a chip but never got any responses.

really sorry to read this, and wish you the best of luck.

I've been through the "cooking for a dog with cancer" thing. Steak and rice in the crock pot worked for me. Hoping he continues to improve!

Whenever I read these stories with middle-aged dogs (7), I always ask what dog food did you primarily feed it for those 6 years?

Glad to read it's feeling much better now. Hope that continues for at-least a handful of years.

Last edited:
Good luck, and best wishes for Guardian. Our first Bernese Mt dog had a tumor on her spleen when she was six. Our vet discovered it during her yearly exam and performed surgery to remove the spleen. She lived to 11 1/2 years old, about 4 years beyond their normal life span. A good vet is worth their weight in gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back