My cat had surgery...

Glad to hear he is on the mend!

Whenever I see somebody doing the right thing by their animals it always reminds me of so many that don't. There are so many that are needlessly euthanized because the owner didn't properly budget for the cost of ownership. These are living creatures that are dependant on us; our companions, they deserve the best care we can give them. I have an obscene amount of money into the larger of our two himalayans who had a UTI then total urinary blockage and spent a week at the vet with the first few days with the very real possibility of him dying. Ultimately he pulled through and is now on special food. Money is money, you can always earn more, these unique bonds we form with these creatures don't have a price.

Sorry for the rant

I love my cats amazing little guys! I had two rescue kittens that were brothers, they were REALLY bonded with each other. At about three years of age they were like yin and yang, sleeping together 24/7, they're personalities complimented each other well. I treated them like dogs from the beginning and they acted accordingly. One in particular Frisky, would play fetch, follow you around in the house, and come right when you called him from anywhere in the house. Quickly too. I was hospitalized for sepsis and I had spent four days there when my wife came into the room crying. She had to take frisky to the emergency vet hospital because his urinary tract was totally blocked. They convinced her to put him down, saying that he probably won't recover and that the blockage had already affected his kidneys and they were probably in failure. Long recovery if he ever would, basically MADE her put him down.
Anyway, she never called me to tell me what was going on, to see how I felt about the situation, because thats not something you keep from your partner/owner of the cat. I found them at a vets office and adopted them. I took care of them, took care of food and litter, toys and their training. Seriously he was my little buddy.
She was crying because she said they basically forced her to put him down. She should have called me when she found him sick, should have called me on the way to the vets, should have called me to tell me what was wrong and ask me if I wanted to put him down. She did nothing.
Vet said he probably had the infection for about a week, but I was playing with him three days ago and he seemed fine, so he hid it very well. Our litter box is right next to our family room, and he didn't spend any unusual lengths of time in there either.

He was catheterized and sedated when they felt his full bladder, blood test were high amounts creatinine levels indicated his kidneys MAYBE were permanently damaged. If I was there my, choice would have been to keep him catheterized and sedated, and wait a few days to see if his kidney function improved. I would not want him to suffer, hence the sedation, but the vets scared her with the costs of admission and care, also claiming the animal would have a negligent amount of suffering. I was so upset I almost left the hospital for a while to go collect his body and bury him on our property. Nope, my choices were taken from me, and my little buddy might have been alive today.
Needless to say we are divorced now, and I will never forgive her for that. That still angers me more than her cheating with a co-worker and leaving me for him, ending our 23 year relationship.

Man, hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Our tom "Taffy" is family as I know yours is to you. Good vibes your way, Jeff.

I love my cats amazing little guys! I had two rescue kittens that were brothers, they were REALLY bonded with each other. At about three years of age they were like yin and yang, sleeping together 24/7, they're personalities complimented each other well. I treated them like dogs from the beginning and they acted accordingly. One in particular Frisky, would play fetch, follow you around in the house, and come right when you called him from anywhere in the house. Quickly too. I was hospitalized for sepsis and I had spent four days there when my wife came into the room crying. She had to take frisky to the emergency vet hospital because his urinary tract was totally blocked. They convinced her to put him down, saying that he probably won't recover and that the blockage had already affected his kidneys and they were probably in failure. Long recovery if he ever would, basically MADE her put him down.
Anyway, she never called me to tell me what was going on, to see how I felt about the situation, because thats not something you keep from your partner/owner of the cat. I found them at a vets office and adopted them. I took care of them, took care of food and litter, toys and their training. Seriously he was my little buddy.
She was crying because she said they basically forced her to put him down. She should have called me when she found him sick, should have called me on the way to the vets, should have called me to tell me what was wrong and ask me if I wanted to put him down. She did nothing.
Vet said he probably had the infection for about a week, but I was playing with him three days ago and he seemed fine, so he hid it very well. Our litter box is right next to our family room, and he didn't spend any unusual lengths of time in there either.

He was catheterized and sedated when they felt his full bladder, blood test were high amounts creatinine levels indicated his kidneys MAYBE were permanently damaged. If I was there my, choice would have been to keep him catheterized and sedated, and wait a few days to see if his kidney function improved. I would not want him to suffer, hence the sedation, but the vets scared her with the costs of admission and care, also claiming the animal would have a negligent amount of suffering. I was so upset I almost left the hospital for a while to go collect his body and bury him on our property. Nope, my choices were taken from me, and my little buddy might have been alive today.
Needless to say we are divorced now, and I will never forgive her for that. That still angers me more than her cheating with a co-worker and leaving me for him, ending our 23 year relationship.
Oh my God, that gives me shivers.

The emergency vet told me that he likely had permanent damage too, but the extent of which we'd never really know. The main issue was seeing if he'd get function back, as he had very little kidney function initially due to the total blockage, and that's what made it so touch and go for the first couple of days, but then it started coming back and eventually he was back to basically normal after 7 days. That was 5 years ago now IIRC. He's been on Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie since, which appears to keep him flushed out.

He was acting normal right up until he wasn't, it happened very fast, as you note. All of a sudden he couldn't keep his rear legs underneath him because his bladder was so swollen. It was out the door the moment that happened.

I am so sorry to hear that story, having been in the same boat. My heart aches for you, ugh, just thinking about it is making me angry, you poor soul, I can't believe they did that to you and deprived you of the decision and the chance that they were wrong. Ugh. Infuriating.

I am so sorry to hear that story, having been in the same boat. My heart aches for you, ugh, just thinking about it is making me angry, you poor soul, I can't believe they did that to you and deprived you of the decision and the chance that they were wrong. Ugh. Infuriating.
My real concern now is that my other cat may get blocked some day, and he has become a recluse since he lost his brother. He and my current dog aren't exactly the best friends either. Dog can be chill with him, or can legit just want to play. Cat does not like a 120 lb dog trying to smack him on the head with his massive paw. Wish the cat would attack the dog and teach him a lesson, dog is actually just a big baby, a massive baby.
I really still feel terrible for the cat, he's the one that had the worst loss, and it has affected his behavior noticeably.

My real concern now is that my other cat may get blocked some day, and he has become a recluse since he lost his brother. He and my current dog aren't exactly the best friends either. Dog can be chill with him, or can legit just want to play. Cat does not like a 120 lb dog trying to smack him on the head with his massive paw. Wish the cat would attack the dog and teach him a lesson, dog is actually just a big baby, a massive baby.
I really still feel terrible for the cat, he's the one that had the worst loss, and it has affected his behavior noticeably.
Nowhere near as tragic, but my parents had two ragdolls and one of them died suddenly last year. It had been having some issues with infection and digestive issues, but nothing that would suggest it was going to die. It blindsided them and the vet, she just curled up in a chair and didn't wake up. Her sister, who was with her her entire life still hasn't adapted to her absence and just hasn't been the same since. She still looks for her.

Nowhere near as tragic, but my parents had two ragdolls and one of them died suddenly last year. It had been having some issues with infection and digestive issues, but nothing that would suggest it was going to die. It blindsided them and the vet, she just curled up in a chair and didn't wake up. Her sister, who was with her her entire life still hasn't adapted to her absence and just hasn't been the same since. She still looks for her.
Yeah that's the kind of stuff that literally hurts my soul to see. I've been thinking of getting him a buddy, but its just such a risk adopting an adult cat. My mother adopted an adult cat that randomly pisses in the house. Nope Nope Nope. Not sure I could adopt a cat and just return it if it pissed on something, I'd feel like an arsehole. I cannot stand the smell of cat piss. I have a hard enough time changing the **** litter box, don't want to have my couch permanently smelling like that. I can still smell a brief wiff of the piss at my mothers..

Resting. Doing well. Good appetite. Slept throught the night! Hates his meds.
Pees and poops like a champ, so there's that... Bings is taking this very well. Pretty tough guy. The surgeon told us it was worse than she thought; he must have been in a lotta pain due to bone-on-bone.

PXL_20220326_153521745.jpg

Last edited:
We had a black cat that would start to make the yuck expression when I opened his antibiotic pill bottle . Thankfully , he didn't resist all that much . Wish Mr. Bingly and you better days ahead .

Last edited:
Glad to hear he is on the mend!

Whenever I see somebody doing the right thing by their animals it always reminds me of so many that don't. There are so many that are needlessly euthanized because the owner didn't properly budget for the cost of ownership. These are living creatures that are dependant on us; our companions, they deserve the best care we can give them. I have an obscene amount of money into the larger of our two himalayans who had a UTI then total urinary blockage and spent a week at the vet with the first few days with the very real possibility of him dying. Ultimately he pulled through and is now on special food. Money is money, you can always earn more, these unique bonds we form with these creatures don't have a price.

Sorry for the rant!
You couldn’t have said it better. We spend so much time with these animals I don’t see how people could give them up or irresponsibly spend money on dumb things but not their pet.

When me and my wife were younger with a relatively baby Charlie and Bella, we moved into South Buffalo versus our south towns area just because it was the only apartment that we could find that would allow us to have cats.

I would live in a 8x8 room if I had to, to keep these three loafs.

From one cat lover to another....there is no amount of money i wont spend on my guys...since i never had kids my cats are m kids and i love them to death....my Maine Coons (3) are almost 12 .....if something happened to them it would be the death of me too. Years ago I lived in a retirement community.....i was in my early 40's and used my mother to get in being over 55....his 17 or 18 year old cat died a few weeks later we see the police and fire dept in front of his house.....his neighboor found a note that he did not want to live without his cat and took about 60+ hydrocodones went to sleep and died and had been dead for 4-5 days...my wife was alive back then ....it hit her hard. She would see him everyday walking with a walker and his cat riding on the seat.....we were told his wife died 4-5 years ago .....all he had was his cat. she cried for days over that.

I had to pill a very retralcicant cat, and I ended up using one of those pill shooters. It was the only way to pill her. No amount of disguising in food would work. It actually worked OK, and I lost far less skin that I would have without it....

Meanwhile I have an epileptic dog who eats his meds like they're treats. Go figure.

Best of luck to Mr. Bingly!

PXL_20220330_233655226.jpg

Livin' large in the Los Gatos sunshine. He stole Sue's home office $800 chair...
Surgeon saw him yesterday and is amazed at how well he is doing. Got a new splint bandage.
Bings let her touch the entire incision; he wouldn't stop purring.

Little twirp has started jumping... He has a steel rod that goes from his paw up his arm. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Back