My cat had surgery...

Mr Bingly (Pride and Prejudice) had torn ligaments that required major kitty surgery. He got a steel rod and 9 screws.
3 month recovery. He won't take his medicine.
There is a great emergency and surgical animal center near here. I did not wanna put an older cat through this, but had no choice.
He's doing well. But the nerve blocker medicine will wear off tomorrow...
1648217979981.jpg

1648217668004.png

Good show. I have spend more on my cats than myself as they are under my care and feeding and they are so important.
Did Bingly take a big jump that damaged his/her ligaments?
I worry about my older cat Ryan being too athletic for his age and weight sometimes.
Here is to a good healing.
Probably wont appreciate the cast when the meds wear off.

@ARCOgraphite you hit the nail on the head; it is from jumping. I thought maybe it was a birth defect or something, as he had the same surgery almost 4 years ago on his left arm. The surgeon told us it is more common in dogs and definitely from jumping, not a birth defect.

He just took his soft cone off; but he is resting. Good thing I am the crazy cat lady...

If you open their mouth and push the pull down a bit in its throat he'll have no choice but to swallow it.. Oh yeah, after you push the pill in you have to keep him from tipping his head down immedetliy. Hold it up until he swallows. Doesn't hurt, they forget you did that and go on being jerks!

Warm wishes and hope Mr. Bingly has a quick recovery. Was he in pain prior to the surgery or did it come up on an exam?

I have three cats, two are a bonded pair, brother and sister whom we adopted at 6mo old. Mr. Charlie and Ms. Bella - about 6 and a half. And then in Aug of 2020 we adopted Mr. Clem about 3 and a half.

A couple months ago, Charlie seemed quiet and distant. He wasn't eating or drinking much, and then he started whining quite a bit. He'd jump down from the cat tree and whine and wince with pain. It seemed like when he moved he head something hurt him. Recalling situations that had occured to me int he past, it almost seemed like he had a bad tooth/abscessed tooth -- as if it was that pain when you move your head and it moves around and causes that tooth to hurt. I grabbed him, opened his mouth, and sure enough I could smell an infection.

Got him in ASAP on antibiotics and he ended up have 8 teeth pulled. About a $1,500 bill.

He is recovered and happier than ever. I think it was hurting him for some time. I would pay it again if I had to. He is a good boy.

Hank is correct, I've had to give pills to cats. If it doesn't go well, you might be able to use pill pockets too, though I had a cat wise up on the pill pockets. He figured out how to eat the pill pocket and spit out the pill if I didn't close it up thoroughly. Hope your kitty is on the mend!

Hank is correct, I've had to give pills to cats. If it doesn't go well, you might be able to use pill pockets too, though I had a cat wise up on the pill pockets. He figured out how to eat the pill pocket and spit out the pill if I didn't close it up thoroughly. Hope your kitty is on the mend!
Ahhh, forgot to mention they make a product called a "pill popper" for cats. They make it super easy, and as long as you get their mouths open!!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pill+pop...763398&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_2b4ng4j52a_e

All the best to Mr Bingly. I miss my cat Jack who died late last year. He became my work from home assistant the past two years.
For pills, if the mouth pry, stuffing the pill, and clamping his face shut doesn't work, wrapping the pill in cat snack material sometimes helps. If he ejects it, he might still go eat it if he thinks its a snack.

If you open their mouth and push the pull down a bit in its throat he'll have no choice but to swallow it.. Oh yeah, after you push the pill in you have to keep him from tipping his head down immedetliy. Hold it up until he swallows. Doesn't hurt, they forget you did that and go on being jerks!
Yep, this. Hated doing it for our cats, but they swallowed it.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Mr Bingly!!!!

OMG my cat would just sit there like a jerk staring at me if I tried to give him a pill pocket. My dog is on meds and he needs a morning dose of four capsules, meaning four pill pockets. He takes them one at a time, and goes into the other room with chewing each pill, returning for the next one. 20% of the time I find the **** pills on the floor. I go through pill pockets so fast, maybe a large bag a month? They aren't cheap either

Mr Bingly (Pride and Prejudice) had torn ligaments that required major kitty surgery. He got a steel rod and 9 screws.
3 month recovery. He won't take his medicine.
There is a great emergency and surgical animal center near here. I did not wanna put an older cat through this, but had no choice.
He's doing well. But the nerve blocker medicine will wear off tomorrow...
View attachment 93904
View attachment 93903

Don't forget cat's are quite allergic to pain. He will make it look like it hurts a lot more than it does. Breaks our heart of course.

Glad to hear he is on the mend!

Whenever I see somebody doing the right thing by their animals it always reminds me of so many that don't. There are so many that are needlessly euthanized because the owner didn't properly budget for the cost of ownership. These are living creatures that are dependant on us; our companions, they deserve the best care we can give them. I have an obscene amount of money into the larger of our two himalayans who had a UTI then total urinary blockage and spent a week at the vet with the first few days with the very real possibility of him dying. Ultimately he pulled through and is now on special food. Money is money, you can always earn more, these unique bonds we form with these creatures don't have a price.

Sorry for the rant!

Glad to hear he is on the mend!

Whenever I see somebody doing the right thing by their animals it always reminds me of so many that don't. There are so many that are needlessly euthanized because the owner didn't properly budget for the cost of ownership. These are living creatures that are dependant on us; our companions, they deserve the best care we can give them. I have an obscene amount of money into the larger of our two himalayans who had a UTI then total urinary blockage and spent a week at the vet with the first few days with the very real possibility of him dying. Ultimately he pulled through and is now on special food. Money is money, you can always earn more, these unique bonds we form with these creatures don't have a price.

Sorry for the rant!
Thanks for the kind words. I was scared when my wife left for work this morning; could I take care of him? Mr. Bingly is doing fine.

Back