My Car Is Getting A New Roof :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the repair order from the body shop. What do you think?

EstimatePage_1.jpg

EstimatePage_2.jpg

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Those hourly rates are cheap!

I'd get the work done. You've even said so yourself that they have done good work in the past.

Body shop hourly rates are always low, but the number of hours is usually 2-3x what the actual repair takes.

A roof reskin isnt really that difficult if done by a good shop. SInce u trust this shop u should be ok.

If u dont like it dont accept the car back when its done. Tell ur insurance company it wasnt fixed properly and u will be fine

Happy Friday everyone!

Since this was my post, I thought that I'd provide an update in case anyone else ever goes through this and has similiar questions.

I got my car back from Hamblins Body, Paint, and Frameshop exactly two weeks ago today. As you could tell from my OP, I was VERY nervous about this repair. I'm happy to say that Hamblins did an extraordinary job with my car. The roof looks just as good (actually better) as it did the day that I bought the car; simply beautiful! It has no noises, squeaks, rattles, etc. The only thing that I haven't been able to test for is water leakage, but I'm sure it's fine there as well.

There were two minor issues when I picked up my car; one that they told me about ahead of time, and one that I discovered myself. The guy at the shop that I dealt with forewarned me that the glass guy that they use (doesn’t work for them) scratched the rear glass when removing/replacing it. He said that they’d order a new one, but GM said it would take 2 weeks to get. When I actually got to see the “scratch”, it was very minor and hard to see. But kudos to the shop for identifying it and having it fixed. The second issue was the stainless steel window moldings. It looked like the detail guys hit the moldings with their buffer when they were working on the hood, and induced some light marring. I pointed it out, and they promptly order them as well. These two items were fixed yesterday.

In total, the bill came out to just over $2900! Luckily for me, my comprehensive deductible is only $100.

Roof skin is not structural. It can be replaced and have have no effect at all on crash stability. There's a lot more up there than just the roof panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back