Hail in the area, my door is constantly being knocked at now.

We had a decent hail storm here in Ames, IA a couple weeks ago. The SW side of town took it hard, but not much up North, where I live. I gave the house a good once over after the storm, and found it to be no different than before the storm.

I’m a handy guy and do the majority of our house work.

Now come the door knockers. These people are relentless, asking to be on my roof to show me the hidden damage I can’t see. It won’t be any bother to us, they say, as they will work with our insurance on it.

It’s sad to see the signs in yards from these companies a block North and a block South of us. My block must be more savy at house repairs than the other blocks?

It’s funny that none of these companies are from in town. I already have a roof guy, who put a roof on my last house, and fixed slight damage to this roof after our Derecho in 2020. He hasn’t called me. He would if he thought I might have damage.

I really wonder if a lack of common sense and general repair knowledge is causing these people to convince owners to make unnecessary repairs.

We had hail in my part of Iowa as well. Drive into town and the exits are filled with roofer signs.

342356127_3425112624394803_6440182589634457934_n.jpg

Wow...
I thought it was just me in MD.
Daily I am getting bombed by these losers and yes none are from my area.
It got so bad I ordered a no soliciting sign from Amazon..
I don't even answer the door.
One guy sat in my lane for 45 minutes.

Just had racquetball sized hail come through the area this past week. I'm sure my neighborhood is going to be crawling with roofing estimators here shortly. I'm not looking forward to that.

We had a bad hail storm years ago doesn't happen often in downstate NY. My friend has a roofing company out of state roofing companies wanted to use his license to do roofs and offered him a pretty penny. He declined worked way to hard to ruin his reputation on a quick buck.

We had a decent hail storm here in Ames, IA a couple weeks ago. The SW side of town took it hard, but not much up North, where I live. I gave the house a good once over after the storm, and found it to be no different than before the storm.

Now come the door knockers. These people are relentless, asking to be on my roof to show me the hidden damage I can’t see. It won’t be any bother to us, they say, as they will work with our insurance on it.

It’s sad to see the signs in yards from these companies a block North and a block South of us. My block must be more savy at house repairs than the other blocks?

It’s funny that none of these companies are from in town. I already have a roof guy, who put a roof on my last house, and fixed slight damage to this roof after our Derecho in 2020. He hasn’t called me. He would if he thought I might have damage.

I really wonder if a lack of common sense and general repair knowledge is causing these people to convince owners to make unnecessary repairs.
No soliciting sign out front ftw

We lived in Calgary during the summer of 1988. The house we stayed in was about 20 years old - as was most of the neighbourhood. There had been a thunderstorm with hail just before we arrived. Many of the roofs in our area soon had stacks of shingles on them. Most of those roofs looked pretty good.

A stack of shingles on the roof is the local roofers way of claiming the work even if they don't complete it for many months.

That was apparently one of the biggest storm insurance events in the country, ever. But I have to wonder how many of those roofs really suffered damage from the hailstorm (as opposed to normal deterioration from +/- 20 years of service).

Our insurance company took careful note of how old the shingles were on our current house. I suspect they're not going to be too happy about a claim for hail damage when that roof gets to be 20 or 25 years old.

Moderators, I meant to put this in the general discussion area. My apologies for the oversight on my part.

The roofers going door to door looking for for work has been a PLAGUE in Florida for the last couple of decades and the state finally banned that practice a few years ago. Besides the possible liability if they get hurt, I don't think that people walking on the shingles are good for them so I don't let ANYONE go up on my roof unless I know that there's damage and I'm wanting work done.

If you walk on roofs, you need "Cougar Paws". Protects you and the shingles.

And this one is just for estimators:

Reactions: Fla
By the way, if you end up with new shingles, it the optimum time to consider solar. I guess the solar door knockers will be right behind.
Solar sellers are the SECOND PLAGUE in Florida! I've dealt with three of them in the last couple of months and many more over the years. I would NEVER allow anyone to mount a solar system on my roof. In the first place it faces West instead of South. Second, it also slopes to the west instead of the south so it loses about 2 hours of sunshine in the morning (solar panels produce MOST of their power between two hours before, and two two hours after, high noon). Those two factors alone means that I would lose 30+% of my efficiency compared to a properly aimed and sloped system. Third, this is Florida and we have to replace all of our shingles about every 15 years. Which means taking up the solar collectors and their mounts and all of the electrical and reinstalling all of it after the roofers finish. Fourth, I don't care what the solar salesmen say, their mounts WILL leak at some point. I have solar hot water collector on the roof and it's been up for about 35 years and it's leaked around the mounting plates a number of times. And unlike a solar electric system, it's just a single panel and has four mounting plates (and two pipes) that are easy to get to. However I still have to go up on the roof and reseal it about every two years. The neoprene junk that they pass off for tar these days dries up and shrinks and develops cracks and water leaks in during hard rains.

I would never allow a solar system to be installed on any structure that needs to be kept water tight; or that isn't aimed due south and that has a usable slope. But the sellers that come around her aren't even solar companies, they're just brokers and their MAIN interest isn't even about selling you a system. What they want is to sell you a 25 year LOAN. If you're foolish enough to sign up with them, they hire a couple of un-connected locals to install the system so there is no recourse for the owner when the system fails or simply fails to live up to the salesman's promises or the mounts leak, etc etc.

If you walk on roofs, you need "Cougar Paws". Protects you and the shingles.

And this one is just for estimators:

Cool! I didn't know that they made specail shoes for that. The day-laborers that pass for roofers in this area certainly don't use them!

Back