My brother first ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a ticket for stop sign and seat belt. I challenged both in court, I won the seat belt offence.. but the stop sign I couldn't beat. He can challenge it in court himself if he is confident he is innocent. However, he will need to prove reasonable doubt. Also, I dont know how it is there.. but here in Montreal you can request to get a copy of the police report prior to the court date/hearing. My seatbelt ticket was poorly documented but my stop sign infraction was extremely detailed. That will make a huge difference on whether or not you should challenge it. If you can make the judge believe there is reasonable doubt, that is your only chance to win. If the cop poorly documented the incident, you will be better suited on fighting and winning it in court. Just be sure to find out if you lose in court if the fees remain the same or if they double. Get a copy of the report prior, if poorly documented, research your defense online and fight it. If its well documented by the officer, you might rather pay it and not make the same mistake again.

His court day will be on march 28, BUT he will go in today and pay the fine and apply for an online class today, finish it today or tomorrow, then go back and turn in the certificate and done with it.

No need go court and fight anything, wasted time and more stress and mabe more problem, the law got him by the ball already. Something he will learn from now.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Most states have a thing called "deferred adjudication" which amounts to probation and he could ask for that. In Texas, it amounts to paying for about 25% of the ticket at the onset and after 90 days of probation (without receiving another moving violation in that time frame) you pay the remaining 75% and the ticket is not reported. Since Texas will only allow defensive driving to be used once every 12 months to "drop" a ticket, this is another method to prevent a ticket from appearing on your record--not that I ever needed to use both in a single year.
crackmeup2.gif

what if you happen to have bad day or having a bad day cop and get another ticket . then other ticket will get report plus the new ticket. I dont like take that kind of chance , pay up and be done
smile.gif

"Paying up and be done" as you say will land that ticket on your record in Texas, so I would prefer to play my two "get out of jail" cards first and not have any of them on my record. If I hose up and manage to get 3 tickets in the same year, then I indeed have a different problem other than a bad luck day.

Most states have a thing called "deferred adjudication" which amounts to probation and he could ask for that. In Texas, it amounts to paying for about 25% of the ticket at the onset and after 90 days of probation (without receiving another moving violation in that time frame) you pay the remaining 75% and the ticket is not reported. Since Texas will only allow defensive driving to be used once every 12 months to "drop" a ticket, this is another method to prevent a ticket from appearing on your record--not that I ever needed to use both in a single year.
crackmeup2.gif

Yes, might look into this. If its his first ticket and he doesnt think he will get another then it might be worth it to use it. In my state you can only use it once every 7 years or something. So I save mine for the worst tickets. Since I get like at least one ticket a year, lol.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Quote:
never break any law ever again

Wait until things get slow, and your city or town decides to go on a ticketing/traffic enforcement blitz, at random times of the month, with general predictability (when you notice police writing more tickets on certain days, whereas they never regularly do that.) You won' need to.

Yes I note this on few day begining of the month or end of the month.

Correct.

Did this years ago. I got a ticket. Not a pay it, but rather MANDATORY court appearance 25+ over ticket.

A visit to a local traffic lawyer, $90 to the lawyer, plus the fees for the ticket. Plead to a 30 day deferred adjudication, which meant if I had no other moving violations in that 30 day period, it was like it never happened.

The $90 to the lawyer was far less than what a day off for my mandatory court appearance would be.

Did I mention I didn't even have to go to court.

I'm sure they take a stack of these to the court clerk, they get rubber stamped with this agreement if the defendant has no other accidents, tickets or warrants in the recent past.

It's a money machine for sure. I paid the ticket, plus the lawyer and got no stern lecture from the judge about 25 over the speed limit, etc. I'm sure this is a batch process for the lawyer so $90 for what is probably 5 minutes total work for my portion of the batch.

If it were about safety, wouldn't someone want to talk to me, take some measures to ensure I was a safe driver, etc?

crackmeup2.gif

My new automatic car gets bad gas mileage, so I have been rolling through (5mph) stops in low traffic merge areas. 13 years ago, I got a ticket for a left on green (RED arrow) in a rural area near home that really [censored] me off and tripled my car insurance.
If more people would PAY ATTENTION TO DRIVING we wouldn't need all this extra signage and traffic lights. Regardless, I still drive the way I want - if you can get anywhere in a timely manner with all the slug morons on the road. IN my SO.NH, Americans cannot drive well these days.

Last edited:
Arco,

How about you just follow the instructions printed on the signs, and we will all get along much better on the roads together? And you will have a much lower risk of getting tickets, and increasing your insurance rates, as a secondary bonus.

MetalSlug,

Tell your brother to pay his ticket, take the class, and call it good.
No need to waste his time and money going to court, where the judge will ask him if he did or did not come to a full stop at a stop sign, and then find him guilty.

Also, let your brother figure out his own life.
He's 22 years old.
He should have an handle on things like this, without needing your help.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Arco,

How about you just follow the instructions printed on the signs, and we will all get along much better on the roads together?

It's well known that all those signs do not increase safety. The answer is to get people who can't drive off the roads, not use them for revenue. And not obeying idiot signs is no indicator of driving ability.

http://jalopnik.com/5533260/why-street-signs-make-traffic-more-dangerous

Last edited:
I don't know about signs making it more dangerous. For me, the problems has been the other drivers, 100% of the time.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Arco,

How about you just follow the instructions printed on the signs, and we will all get along much better on the roads together? And you will have a much lower risk of getting tickets, and increasing your insurance rates, as a secondary bonus.

MetalSlug,

Tell your brother to pay his ticket, take the class, and call it good.
No need to waste his time and money going to court, where the judge will ask him if he did or did not come to a full stop at a stop sign, and then find him guilty.

Also, let your brother figure out his own life.
He's 22 years old.
He should have an handle on things like this, without needing your help.

BC.

yub but man its hard not to help when your own brother clueless , I am helping him, explain thing to him, he learn something from this.

yes he pay the fine, take an online class, and done with it.

haha some you are so hard, I still follow the sign and the rule , watch out for other driver, and carry an insurance card and just keep on driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't know about signs making it more dangerous. For me, the problems has been the other drivers, 100% of the time.
People don't learn how to drive. They learn how to look at signs.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
13 years ago, I got a ticket for a left on green (RED arrow) in a rural area near home that really [censored] me off and tripled my car insurance.

A simple red light ticket resulted in your insurance cost tripling?? Wow.

Tickets sound complicated in the US. Using the OP's example, here in Tasmania, it would've gone like this:

Run the stop sign. Get pulled over by the police. Hand over your licence, they take your details and a few days later the infringement notice arrives in the mail. (Guessing, but I think that offence would incur a $150 fine and 3 demerit points). You then have 28 days to pay the fine at any Service Tasmania outlet (think DMV), OR fill out a form to plead not guilty, and in due course receive a summons to appear in Court at a later date.

I've never contested a ticket. I've deserved the few I've got, no question. Plus the day off work would cost more than the fine anyway. We can accrue 12 demerit points before a licence suspension, and the points are wiped after 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back