My Briggs after over 1200 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
My basic 2002 Craftsman Riding lawnmower/tractor. Engine has over 1200 hours (it does not have an hour meter, but averages over 25 hours a month). I was checking the valve lash and needed to replace the rocker cover gaskets, as one was leaking (now I know why it was using using Rotella T).

It has never had synthetic, except maybe once for top off (Mobil 1). I was changing every 75-100 hours. It has had new belts, more blades than I care to count, fuel lines, etc. I keep it clean and every OCI, I pull the shroud and clean out grass from the cooling fins.

Current Fill: Delvac 1300 15w-40, MotorCraft 400s filter (Thanks BITOG). Has 12 hours on it.

Look! No sludge (where is capt_kirk now?)
over view of left side.
overview.jpg

Left Side rockers:
leftside.jpg

Left side looking into oil gallery:
leftgallery.jpg

Left rocker cover:
leftcover.jpg

Right Rockers:
rightside.jpg

Right Rocker Cover with breather tube:
rightcover.jpg

Edit time ran out. This engine has seen everything from B&S oil FF, to cheap Grocery store oil. As long as it met API SL or higher. One year, it went w/o OCI or filter change. I have used either B&S filters or MC 400's. Engine looks like new inside. No, it has not been torn down/rebuilt, etc. Tough little engines in my book.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Seguino
Have you been using your window washing formula on the inside of this engine? It looks that clean!

Nope, just whatever oil I had on hand at the time.

Must be a Vanguard engine...good for 2k hrs. ELS good for 1k, intek 750 is doing good...they throw rods because of crankcase flexing as much as .010 under load.

Must be a Vanguard engine...good for 2k hrs. ELS good for 1k, Intek 750 is doing good...they throw rods because of crankcase flexing as much as .010 under load.

i have a 12 hp I/C with 1800 on it. its in a 92 WheelHorse 212-H I use Castrol HD 30w. I have a collection of tractors, mostly WheelHorses, some Bolens and three Case 444's. The highest hour engine i have is a cast iron Kohler K321 14 hp which has 2800 on the clock. it is a 74 Case 444. It smokes a bit for the first 10 minutes then clears up and still runs and starts like new and is extremely strong considering its 14 hp rating. I use Mobil One 5w-30 in the winter as i use it for plowing my 800 ft drive and large parking area. I use Castrol HD 40 in the summer. I have a few other Kohler s that are close to the 2k mark and still run great. I have a 2005 Craftsman gt 5000 that has a Kohler Courage and it threw a rod at 170 hrs...junk engines. However, the kohler Command engines are bullet proof and will easily run 2k hrs. if maintained

Last edited:
It's obvious you're doing everything right. Use of decent oils, frequent but not excessive OCIs, and keeping the engine clean inside and out.

Keeping grass clippings out of the engine cowling goes a long way to keep the engine at proper operating temps. Clogged cooling fins will lead to cooked oil. Cooked oil will lead to engine wear and sludge sooner or later.

I carry out a very similar maintenance schedule although, I change the oil filter every third oil change. No real need to change it every oil change. It actually filters better when used for longer durations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back