My brew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.......I changed my oil today. I drained the ST 10W40 I was using in my ARX rinse cycle and installed M1 15W50 with my own brew of Valvoline Engine Protector and Schaeffer's #132. I mixed the two additives and added 300-350ml of the mix to the 15W50. Check out the mix here.

Well, the piston slap and engine noise is still there. I was hoping the heavier weight oil would dampen the noise a bit, but no luck. I will be analysing this brew in about 4k miles, which at the rate I've been driving lately, won't take more than 4 months.
I'm looking for reduced wear, noise reduction (that didn't happen
mad.gif
), gas mileage (more, less, same?), TBN retention and overall benefits (if any) of this mix.

Now, I know I'm not a chemist, but after seeing lots of evidence here, I believe the additives (which are all the same kind and compatible) won't clash with each other and trash my engine.

On a different note....when I pulled the plug to drain the old oil, there was a small metal chip on the magnet. It was very tiny (much smaller than a pinhead), but nevertheless had me scared. Anyone have any idea where it came from (piston rings??)
frown.gif

Comments are welcomed!

Rick

quote:

On a different note....when I pulled the plug to drain the old oil, there was a small metal chip on the magnet. It was very tiny (much smaller than a pinhead), but nevertheless had me scared. Anyone have any idea where it came from (piston rings??)

Anyone have any idea about this small metal chip?

P,
It came from a part in the engine....so ain't gonna be something that just happened to be there! My guess is piston rings and/or valve stems. I didn't take a pic of it, but it was so tiny, I had a hard time trying to grab it from the plug. It was much smaller than a pin head.

I wouldn't worry about the chip.

You may want to try working up from a 10w30 and add some 15w50 to it. I would lose the additives and just use the Mobil1. Mix 250 ml of the 15w50 to the 10w30. Increase the mix on the following intervals to tweak the formula for harmonics and performance.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84700 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

offtopic.gif

My brew, fiancee car started with 4 qts of Mobil 1. It looses a quart every 1500 miles. I added 1 QT of GC, got cheaper used 1 QT of SuperTech Synthetic, and now annoyed and using Chevron Supreme. I'll dump the oil at 6k miles and use a high mileage from now on and stay within a brand.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
I wouldn't worry about the chip.

You may want to try working up from a 10w30 and add some 15w50 to it. I would lose the additives and just use the Mobil1. Mix 250 ml of the 15w50 to the 10w30. Increase the mix on the following intervals to tweak the formula for harmonics and performance.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8600 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84700 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Been there...done that!
The car seems to accelerate smoother and seems torquier. All the usual noises are still there, which disapointed me to say the least. I had overfilled by a qt, so I drained about half this morning. So far so good.....although M1 oils seem noisier than other oils, regarless of weight.

The harmonics of the synthetics. Thats the tradeoffs.

When I first started the 4-Runner on m1 at 65000 it was noisy and consumed oil. Now at 85000 miles the consumption is minimal and the noise is non-existent.
dunno.gif

I think that the oil companies employ chemists and go to great lengths to provide a proper additive package. I would go by what all the oil companies and car manufacturers say which is to add nothing to the oil.

If you want better additives, get better oil. Mobil 1 is very good oil. Amsoil is probably even better.

Guys....this is an experiment....relax. At the end of the day, the worst case sceneraio is that what I did had no benefits whatsoever. I doubt very much harm will be done. The additives are the same type as formulated oil and the oil was not over-additized. If an increase in additives created problems, then you'd see engines using Redline oil seizing up all the time. I also used Schaeffer's #132 once before and it showed excellent results in a 4k mile run. Even Terry was impressed with the results.
Let's wait and see and then we can analyze a course of action!

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back