My BITOG Christmas wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
All I want is My BITOG Christmas wish to come true

I can predict this, Bob: The odds of your wish coming true are MUCH higher than the chance that the Lugnuts will make the playoffs this year. Still, what a wonderful family venue and affordable outlet we can be so proud of!

Maybe instead of more moderation, those who care here should step up to the plate to police ourselves better. And, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Take care, neighbor.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
My favorite (sarcasm) is this type of response: (example)

Thread title: Any experiences with Brand X spray wax?
Response: I HATE SPRAY WAX !!!.

That's really just an off-topic response... but probably not the worst you will find. How about "I HATE PASTE WAX" or "I HATE MOBIL-1 GEAR OIL". It would be nice and simple if the mods just deleted off-topic stuff.

The bad news is that BITOG is a commercial site - a money maker for the owners thereof. So, they are reasonably (and commercially) concerned with the number of hits. And, if there's a flame war that might seem out of place, or really, really stupid posts that border on the entertaining, it could be making that 'hits counter' spin like a hubcap.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wish all the original members would stay on and continue to post,and all the n00b fanboi types would get
lost.

the originals could always start a new site,
Follow the path of @Snapster, aka Matt Rutledge.

back in 2004, he launched Woot.com, the original Deal a day website. they had a certain quantity of an Item for sale each day, each user could only buy up to 3 of them, and when they sold out, that was that until the next item came up @ midnight central time.

The Staff was Super Friendly, and always quick to respond to issues. They also had fantastic writeups.

the Best part of Woot, however was the community that developed in their Forums.

in 2010 they were acquired by Amazon, and within the next year, most of the original staff left. also after the acquisition, the new ownership started making lots of changes, and the community as a whole kinda fell apart. service times went up, and they fun, snarky write ups went by the wayside.

then, in 2013, Snapster started a new Company, Mediocre Laboratories(www.mediocre.com), to run "experiments in E- Commerce"
Their First experiment, called #Seligman, is best Described in the Following Video:

then this summer they had a Kickstarter to start their new, old Idea.(hey, remember woot? we could always do that again..)
a one deal, one day website.
with snarky writeups, encouraging people to Not buy the stuff.
and voila! meh.com was born.
new site, feels like the old woot Community reborn.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My wish is a 2015 Z06 Vette.

That is a very solid wish! I dont think I have been nearly good enough to get one.
frown.gif

Are you looking for a Utopia where you're the least qualified poster and everyone else is smarter than you, but you just barely made it in?

How do you feel about neck-beards voting?
laugh.gif

The strict moderation here keeps it tolerable, IMO. I'd rather ask a computer question from someone who obsesses over zinc in their oil because they probably obsess over every other aspect of their lives as well.

My wish is that the truly educated and informed people on this site would quickly but gently correct stupid advice.

The list of "those who are truly educated" and the list of "those who are stupid" will vary depending on who you ask.

I wish all the original members would stay on and continue to post,and all the n00b fanboi types would get lost.

I don't have a problem with new people trying to learn. I do, as you indicate, have a problem with the clueless coming to educate us. I have a greater problem with sockpuppets.

My point is if someone doesn't really have anything to ad to the post that is accurate AND scientific maybe they should just keep quiet.

Post don't have to be scientific. I'd be happy if they used facts or at the very least, well reasoned opinion. Lately, I've witnessed outright lies in some of the motorcycle discussions.

The problem is that there are a large number of people who are nothing more than "Internet experts". After reading a few posts and used oil reports they feel empowered to dole out uneducated advice tidbits like candy from a Pez dispenser. The problem is they have little or no real world experience or real world education to back up their recommendations.

Look at the number of varied responses to someone who asks which oil is best for their vehicle. Rather than a somewhat unified response, they'll receive advice that runs the lubrication gamut with little or no understanding of why brand X is a better choice than brand Y (aside from the dyno embedded in the backsides of some of the self appointed experts).

My wish is that the truly educated and informed people on this site would quickly but gently correct stupid advice. Is it possible for my Christmas wish to come true or is all lost??

I suspect that the truly educated and informed people get tired of constantly correcting stupid advice and answering questions that could be answered by the original poster if they'd take a minute to do a bit of research.

I wish all the original members would stay on and continue to post,and all the n00b fanboi types would get lost.

Agreed, this site is only a shadow of when it started. All the good guys like Johnny, Terry Dyson, TooSlick and many more have moved on.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
This thread is a timewarp to 2007. When the same complaints were had.

So does that mean that in another five years, I can pine for the good old days and admonish the young upstarts to get off my lawn?

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

Agreed, this site is only a shadow of when it started. All the good guys like Johnny, Terry Dyson, TooSlick and many more have moved on.

Doesn't everyone move on at some point?
philosophical feelings intensifies

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: crinkles
This thread is a timewarp to 2007. When the same complaints were had.

So does that mean that in another five years, I can pine for the good old days and admonish the young upstarts to get off my lawn?

if you stay longer you can even shake your fist at the sky!

Originally Posted By: salv
The problem is that everyone thinks they are educated and informed.

I agree. I've noticed that the once helpful folks are slowly being replaced by rude know-it-alls that really try to bully and take over threads in an effort to boost a fragile ego. Some take it upon themselves to take what others say and turn the meaning and intent completely around.

No...not as interesting nor friendly/fun as it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back