My BITOG Christmas wish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found that BITOG has been a great resource for almost everything automotive, but recently I have noticed a drastic uptick in really stupid unscientific & uneducated advice.

My wish is that the truly educated and informed people on this site would quickly but gently correct stupid advice. Is it possible for my Christmas wish to come true or is all lost??

That's a tall order. I'd rather have mods just delete the repetitive threads and sticky the educational ones.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My wish is that the truly educated and informed people on this site would quickly but gently correct stupid advice. Is it possible for my Christmas wish to come true or is all lost??

I'd say it's not ALL lost yet.
it's a matter of having to wade through undesirable posts to get to good ones. They're still there.

I wish all the original members would stay on and continue to post,and all the n00b fanboi types would get lost.

Eh, I think it id more changing with the times that people don;t like. It's impossible to "be the way it was" when there was a few thousand members, not so much now.

When you have like 10 times the people, there is much more to sort out.

The way to "fix" it if we truly want it closer to the way it was is to have more mods....

This way there would be more eyes to fix stuff when needed...people like J and Bill can't see everything....

Yeah asking new people to leave is a bit rude; There are a lot of very nice and helpful members here that are relatively new; just because they're not SUPER knowledgeable and don't work professionally in motor oil / car related fields doesn't mean they should leave.
Also, some of the older / professional members who are so called "pros" have been known to act as jerks pretty often, and give horrible advice, too.

And don't forget all the sub forums. Someone who might not be an oil/car professional might be very knowledgeable about computers, etc. (I know the site was founded as a motor oil/lubrication related forum, but it has expanded on its content over the years).

OP: Suck it up. Times change. Try to adjust and be flexible, and ignore the posts/threads that you think are not useful or contain bad advice. You might find you'll live though Xmas
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
So, since I'm relatively new, have a sense of humor, and aren't the smartest PDS/Whitepaper analyzing member kinda guy

...you'd prefer I leave?

No. It's just that some people come here for education, and many times all the junk that comes up from the OP's post is unneeded and sometimes even ludicrous. My point is if someone doesn't really have anything to ad to the post that is accurate AND scientific maybe they should just keep quiet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
So, since I'm relatively new, have a sense of humor, and aren't the smartest PDS/Whitepaper analyzing member kinda guy

...you'd prefer I leave?

No. It's just that some people come here for education, and many times all the junk that comes up from the OP's post is unneeded and sometimes even ludicrous. My point is if someone doesn't really have anything to ad to the post that is accurate AND scientific maybe they should just keep quiet.

^^This. Thanks Bob!

...you'd prefer I leave?

Of course not. I've read your posts and you're a very mature respectful guy
cheers3.gif

The newbies I'm referring to are the ones who will call people out on grammar,spelling,say USE THE SEARCH FEATURE,or just go out of their way to post something smart-assy. If someone has nothing productive to add to a current discussion,PLEASE just don't bother to post. It really brings the site down and makes it feel like we're having to put up with 2 year olds.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The newbies I'm referring to are the ones who will call people out on grammar,spelling,say USE THE SEARCH FEATURE,or just go out of their way to post something smart-assy. If someone has nothing productive to add to a current discussion,PLEASE just don't bother to post. It really brings the site down and makes it feel like we're having to put up with 2 year olds.

There should be spaces after commas.
grin2.gif

(j/k, j/k)

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

There should be spaces after commas.
grin2.gif

(j/k, j/k)

Haha good one!
wink.gif
That deserves a coldie!
10.gif

My favorite (sarcasm) is this type of response: (example)

Thread title: Any experiences with Brand X spray wax?
Response: I HATE SPRAY WAX !!!.

Haha that responding poster must've had a BADDD experience with his spray wax!
grin.gif

Haha that responding poster must've had a BADDD experience with his spray wax!
grin.gif

Yeah, probably scarred him for life! Oh, the agony!

Originally Posted By: salv
The problem is that everyone thinks they are educated and informed.

Yes, Crank down the ego and don't worry about trying to impress people with your post counts. If you actually have something to add that furthers the mission statement of BITOG, please do!

All I want is My BITOG Christmas wish to come true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back