My $2500 free 4Runner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard (from Toyota truck guys) that the best coolant is the long-life orange/red stuff designed for diesel trucks.

Ive used Amsoil coolant and Peak Global Lifetime with good success in my 4Runner.

Diesel coolant may work, what is that borate chemistry? BUT the truck came from the factory with Toyota red which is phosphate. The phosphate works great for all the metals, iron block, aluminum heads, and the brass radiator if you still have the factork kind.

I would double check the diesel coolant will protect the aluminum as diesels usually don't have it in the cooling system. Definitely don't use regular Dex clone stuff or silicate green, that's how people rust up their iron blocks.

This is the advice I got when looking for the best coolant for my Toyota pickup with the 22R.

Before this thread, I was unaware that Toyota red coolant even existed. It looks like either that or Zerex Asian would work, right?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Before this thread, I was unaware that Toyota red coolant even existed. It looks like either that or Zerex Asian would work, right?

You could probably get away with zerex Asian if cost/availability is a concern. Just remember to flush flush flush all the old coolant out and use distilled water for a 50/50 mix. Good luck!
cool.gif

Keep that 2nd Gen. 4Runner on the road it's a classic you rarely see nowadays, albeit I see a rare 1st Gen. 4Runner every now and then.

Our 3rd Gen. 4Runner has 310,XXX miles on the odometer and plenty of life left. 4Runners are some of the toughest SUVs'(properly maintained) around. Every electric components from moonroof, power locks/windows, rear glass, radio antenna, leather power seats still function like new, and mechanically and structurally speaking all still very robust. A simple yet often overlooked part of the vehicle that no 2013 can compare with.....wait for it.........glass headlight lens. I love 'em no oxidizing going on here and the need to polish. Sorry to say no modern day vehicle is made to the standards of yesteryear. Everyone is cost cutting(while everything appreciates), Toyota, included.

Good luck with it!

21569u.jpg

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

You could probably get away with zerex Asian if cost/availability is a concern. Just remember to flush flush flush all the old coolant out and use distilled water for a 50/50 mix. Good luck!
cool.gif

zerex Asian at NAPA for $13 comes pre-mixed...don't add water...

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

cool.gif

+1

It would be cheaper to fix the ol 3.slow than what I went through. Spend more on the exhaust and you can get rid of the exhaust manifold that causes HG issues. I just swapped a lexus v8 instead.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam

cool.gif

My mistake, i thought it came in concentrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back