My $2500 free 4Runner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. Finally got my 91 4Runner from the mechanic. A friend of mine was tired of repairing it, and gave it to me with a blown head gasket. I tried to help her get it fixed at a good price, but she finally didn't want to put more money in it. Since I was starting at $0.00, I didn't mind so much. Here's the itemization I got from the mechanic:

-used engine 3.0 L 3VZE
-water pump
-timing belt
-idler bearing
-fan
-hoses
-oil cooler
-oil (MS5K)
-oil filter
-air filter box (the original was broken)
-MAV
-intake plenum gasket
-air intake elbow
-intake gasket
-spark plugs
-rear main seal
-atf
-plug wires
-distributor cap
-mls head gaskets
-valve adjustment (3 shims)
-misc bolts
-plenum stabilizer
-motor lift hooks
-crankshaft pulley
-belts alt ps ac
-fan shroud
-fuel dampener
-knock sensor wire
-2 fuel injectors
-pcv hose
-ac receiver drier/accumulator
-hi pressure line
-o rings
-catalytic convertor
-smog check

Then, right after I got it, the starter quit. I replaced that myself.

If it works for a while, I'm going to call this a pretty good deal. Body is mostly straight, almost no rust, transmission feels good, engine runs smooth and quiet. There are, of course, a few details left to work on, but I asked him for a functional vehicle, and if I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't be fixing up a 1991 4Runner.

This odyssey began when I asked a friend of mine why she wasn't driving her 4Runner. She told me about the head gasket, and I thought about maybe doing it for her, but I don't really have the time right now. I know a pretty inexpensive mechanic who does good work, and he said he could do it for around $1000. I got the two of them together, but she then found a nice Ford Expedition and bought it. So she gave me the 4Runner.

The mechanic I used for the work was advertising a used 3vze on craigslist for $690. Turns out he specializes in 4Runners.

If there's any interest, I can post a pic or two.

Me too... I am a fan of that vintage. My '91 just turned 240,000. It's been a faithful companion on the beaches of NC, long road trips, driving in NYC, dirt roads in Vermont, fire roads and kayak trips in Colorado and in the woods of PA. It's been parked in airport lots for weeks at a time, survived 3 hurricanes, including driving in 3 feet of salt water to check on my neighbor's house, several blizzards and a few ice storms. It used to take my 3 year old to preschool....was there as she learned to drive, and then as she learned to drive off road...now that she's a college junior, she strenuously objects to any discussion of replacing it....

Last edited:
My brother had that very model/year and took it to 250k when the transmission took a dirt nap. He did almost no PM and drove it like a getaway vehicle. It can take a lot of abuse.

Nice. I really wanted to go with this vehicle, but the head gasket was the biggest reason not.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
OK. Finally got my 91 4Runner from the mechanic. A friend of mine was tired of repairing it, and gave it to me with a blown head gasket. I tried to help her get it fixed at a good price, but she finally didn't want to put more money in it. Since I was starting at $0.00, I didn't mind so much. Here's the itemization I got from the mechanic:

-used engine 3.0 L 3VZE
-water pump
-timing belt
-idler bearing
-fan
-hoses
-oil cooler
-oil (MS5K)
-oil filter
-air filter box (the original was broken)
-MAV
-intake plenum gasket
-air intake elbow
-intake gasket
-spark plugs
-rear main seal
-atf
-plug wires
-distributor cap
-mls head gaskets
-valve adjustment (3 shims)
-misc bolts
-plenum stabilizer
-motor lift hooks
-crankshaft pulley
-belts alt ps ac
-fan shroud
-fuel dampener
-knock sensor wire
-2 fuel injectors
-pcv hose
-ac receiver drier/accumulator
-hi pressure line
-o rings
-catalytic convertor
-smog check

Then, right after I got it, the starter quit. I replaced that myself.

If it works for a while, I'm going to call this a pretty good deal. Body is mostly straight, almost no rust, transmission feels good, engine runs smooth and quiet. There are, of course, a few details left to work on, but I asked him for a functional vehicle, and if I had an unlimited budget, I wouldn't be fixing up a 1991 4Runner.

This odyssey began when I asked a friend of mine why she wasn't driving her 4Runner. She told me about the head gasket, and I thought about maybe doing it for her, but I don't really have the time right now. I know a pretty inexpensive mechanic who does good work, and he said he could do it for around $1000. I got the two of them together, but she then found a nice Ford Expedition and bought it. So she gave me the 4Runner.

The mechanic I used for the work was advertising a used 3vze on craigslist for $690. Turns out he specializes in 4Runners.

If there's any interest, I can post a pic or two.

I'm proud of you.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Me too... I am a fan of that vintage. My '91 just turned 240,000. It's been a faithful companion on the beaches of NC, long road trips, driving in NYC, dirt roads in Vermont, fire roads and kayak trips in Colorado and in the woods of PA. It's been parked in airport lots for weeks at a time, survived 3 hurricanes, including driving in 3 feet of salt water to check on my neighbor's house, several blizzards and a few ice storms. It used to take my 3 year old to preschool....was there as she learned to drive, and then as she learned to drive off road...now that she's a college junior, she strenuously objects to any discussion of replacing it....

To any mention of Head Gasket failures: Is this a case of "big leaks start small," and Blue Devil may help?

whistle.gif

Good job on the new life, but I'd have done a diesel swap into it. Cali doesn't have a problem with a diesel transplant, and I think from reading that it may exempt the car from smog inspections.

Last edited:
Here's a pic. You can't see how filthy and oxidized it is in this pic, but trust me - it's filthy and oxidized.

20130623_125722-001_zpsbffeabfb.jpg

Nice truck. Looks lifted. not a big lift, 1 - 2" perhaps, but they typically sag in the rear, and this one is level, meaning at the very least, there are new rear springs. It was common to simply crank up the front torsion bars to match, resulting in a harsh ride...so, if the front is harsh, consider larger torsion bars, which will get the same lifted ride height without the excessive pre-load...

Last edited:
OK, some questions: One, is this engine OK with "normal" OCI's, such as 5-6k miles?

Two, Astro14 - how do I tell which torsion bars I have?

Definitely do NOT want thicker Tbars. I have been down that road with my 88 and the ride is bad. I went back to the stockers. You can find balljoint spacers which raise the front a bit and work very well.

That's a great truck. The V6 is hard to work on compared to the 22re but still a good engine.

I had a 1990 RV-6, and in hindsight, despite its fuel consumption, it should have been a keeper...

Toyota did a head gasket recall, and were still honouring it in Oz in the early 2000s.

Called a Hi Lux Surf here, and 90% are diesel. I've done head gaskets on a V6, not somewhere I want to go again....worth more than the truck is worth to do it anyway. Mind you, the diesels give more headgasket problems than the V6, but are easier to do.

Hi Lux Surf. I like that. We don't have the diesels here, unfortunately. I'm hoping that the mls gaskets will last, plus I'll be putting a wetting agent in the coolant to see if I can improve cooling of the "hot" cylinders.

I love the early 90s runners and pickups, such a classic Toyota look.

Please DON'T use a wetting agent in the coolant!! That is meant to use with straight water for track use. Using it with coolant will just gum up your system and cause the issues you want to prevent!!

If you want to take care of your cooling system, use only Toyota RED coolant, and change it every couple years. A heavy duty radiator with an extra core would help keep things cool as well.

Thanks for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back