My 21 escape

Hi everyone. My transmission is in need of replacement (squealing, jerking,shuddering) to keep it short im out of warranty at 129,000 miles and wanted to ask you all if i should have the dealer replace it or a independent transmission shop. Im a bit worried a independent may not have the knowledge on such a new car....opinions?

Call the dealer and ask if they would be merely swapping the unit with one that has already been remanufactured. Chances are that will be the case. An independent shop would most likely be doing a rebuild vs a swap. I am not saying that one method is better than the other, but I would check to see what warranty might come with each. If you are concerned about vehicle down time, the dealer swap would most likely be the fastest route once they have the reman in stock.

are you replacing the transmission or rebuilding it?

If rebuilding a good shop is more important.. updated parts etc.
not sure a dealer is better or worse.. probably varies by area.

I'm not sure what is best path but I would quote both (costs nothing to get quotes) and also have them state their plans. Dealer is likely to swap units not rebuild, but an independent could go either way--if so, have them quote both R&R and replacement with another unit. That way, you can get the array of costs and choices for this job.

My Chrysler mini van stranded me on I-95. Under warranty they replaced it with a rebuilt one. It never shifted right after that. This was after Iacocca went on TV and stated that they had fixed the transmission problems.

I'm assuming a 2021 with 129K would include a whole lot of highway driving.
Since Ford recommends (ridiculously) that the ATF be changed for the first time at 150K....I'd look for some help with the cost from Ford (either starting at the dealer level or going right to Ford higher ups).

Whichever way it goes I would think that Ford knows that A/T better than any indie. Is it a 6F35?

I used to work next to a big trans rebuilding factory MOVERAS . They claim they are used by many shops in the North East, They just do a core exchange. Auto repair facility just does the R&R of the unit.

Know your symptom might just be a torque converter lock up failing.

Curious what kind of maintenance was performed on the trans? Did it get at least one drain and fill or flush?

Man you are in MI, Guessing there should be a lot of tranny shop around.

On a vehicle so young, I'd go with a Ford reman transmission, whether either the dealer or independent shop will put it in. Shop rebuilt, depends a lot on how good the rebuilder is. I'd rather take that variable out of the equation. Just for the heck of it, I'd also check local salvage yards for a pull, considering how few miles most donors would have.

I'm a bit confused though, your sig lists a '17 not a '21. Either way I'd be changing the fluid closer to every 50K mi.

I had mine go out at around 120k. Rebuild was almost half the cost of replacement. replacement was roughly half the value of the vehicle. I got mine rebuilt.

Trans is the 8f35 8 speed. Was flushed at dealer at 60,000 and 110,000. Independent wants $3800 to rebuild. I wonder what ford would do the whole job for? Think $5,000 would cover it?

I have to ask: has this been properly diagnosed yet? I mean, these newer cars with their computers, the transmission should last much (much!) longer than this. Is it possible that this is just a bad solenoid or some other much cheaper fix? Is there a history (as indicated by dedicated forums) that would imply that these symptoms point to a bad transmission, and not a simple(r) fix?

Hi everyone. My transmission is in need of replacement (squealing, jerking,shuddering) to keep it short im out of warranty at 129,000 miles and wanted to ask you all if i should have the dealer replace it or a independent transmission shop. Im a bit worried a independent may not have the knowledge on such a new car....opinions?
Does the squealing and shuddering only happen going straight or while turning? If while turning there is a service bulletin to change the fluid in the rear diff unit for that symptom and re-evaluate. If the vehicle is 2wd disregard obviously. With the amount you are driving being that your 2021 has 129k on it, I would want a Ford reman transmission installed should it need a transmission versus a rebuild at a transmission shop or dealer. Reason being is that a Ford reman comes with a 3 year 100k warranty honored by whoever installs it or any Ford dealer in the US and backed by Ford, meaning as an independent if I install a Ford trans and it fails under that warranty, Ford will pay me to make the repair.

I would use a good independent shop who deals only with transmissions. Many dealers do not work on transmissions and farm them out to independents anyway.

Many dealers do not work on transmissions and farm them out to independents anyway.
That is not true. Manufacturers require technicians with a certain skill level (validated thru various OEM training avenues) in order to complete certain types of warranty repairs. Dealers would not be allowed to get paid for those transmission warranty claims if the work was not completed in-house.

That is not true. Manufacturers require technicians with a certain skill level (validated thru various OEM training avenues) in order to complete certain types of warranty repairs. Dealers would not be allowed to get paid for those transmission warranty claims if the work was not completed in-house.
My dealer farmed out my transmission for an overhaul (out of warranty) so I have to disagree with you. I did not know that at the time and waited a long time to get it back.

Back