My 2002 jeep has had it's first major repair problem.

Currently sitting @188k miles. I have noticed a noise over the last few months. Could not identify where it was coming from.

It let me know the other day. Bearings in the rear end. I think it's the pinon bearings.

Got a friend with a off road shop that can rebuild it as I don't have the proper tools.

New gears are not available at this time,he has a set of new take outs he will put it in. Customer bought a jeep and took it from the dealer straight to his shop for a lift and regear.

Something like 14 miles on them!

I have to pull the whole axle out and take it to him. Looks to be pretty easy to get out.

How did you determine its the gear vs wheel bearing?
Why would the gears need replaced for pinion bearing?
What sort of maintenance have you done previously? does it have oil in it?

No he shouldn't. His pal having cherry take-out parts available IS the win of the year. "No more luck for you (him)".

At 188K, opening the rear to replace pinion bearings warrants a full rebuild, no?

Had that with my XJ a a couple years ago, growling noise in the front Dana 30, and it was hot. Had just the bearings replaced, was like $600.

How did you determine its the gear vs wheel bearing?
Why would the gears need replaced for pinion bearing?
What sort of maintenance have you done previously? does it have oil in it?
Wheels spin smooth. Turn the yoke and it grinds. The gears have had metal ran through them and are scored.

Bought it new. @34k it got water in the axles from a storm. Changed the oil and used Torco oil. Changed every 25-30k since. Last 80k it's been getting delo 75-90 syn from AutoZone.

Wheels spin smooth. Turn the yoke and it grinds. The gears have had metal ran through them and are scored.

Bought it new. @34k it got water in the axles from a storm. Changed the oil and used Torco oil. Changed every 25-30k since. Last 80k it's been getting delo 75-90 syn from AutoZone.
thanks for the update.

Jeep is back together as of this morning. Seems ok on our breakfast run. I sure would like to know who designed these drum brakes. They sure are a chore to reassemble.

Fought the housing a little last night getting it lined back up. Tough by yourself. The housing kept sliding off my little jack. Took about 2 hrs to get bolted in.

Back