My 1998 camaro v6 is sputtering at full throttle when it is in drive

Tittle speaks for itself car sputters at full throttle while in drive
vs reverse?
From a stop?
flooring it on the highway?
Fully warmed up? Not?

Also I'm going to assume TITTLE is title ;)
When did this start?
Any repairs or maintenance completed recently?

It sometimes does it in reverse but not very common and this 4l60E has overdrive and it does it when in overdrive but not when in just plain drive nor 1st and 2nd gear on the slider.
It only sputters at full throttle or close to it so maybe from a stop. It started today after I did a small 0-60 pull. About 5 or do minutes after I was just going down the road and floored trying to pass a dude swerving when it started stuttering and felt like my transmission was going to fall out. Recently only thing repaired was My reverse lights. But back in November we had both cylinder heads replaced cuz it was doing the same thing but as soon as you press the gas.

This is a big unknown not seeing it personally and knowing if there are any codes. BUT as a first diagnostic unplug your MAF sensor and let the car run off the backup MAF sensor. That will rule out if the MAF is good or bad. Second suspect place is the TPS sensor which you need to hook a scan tool up with live data and see if it smoothly increases from idle to WOT without any skips or fluctuations(engine off). Then we need to see what your fuel pressure is at idle and WOT. This would be your start as well as pulling codes if any. Of course the ignition system, fuel injectors etc are suspect as well......This is probably not the correct flow for diagnosis but it's all I can offer over the internet. Get back to us.

Sputtering at full throttle and high engine RPM (such as when passing someone or climbing hills at highway speed) is usually starving for gas. Try replacing the fuel filter first. If it happens mostly at low engine RPM it is usually weak sparks.

Last edited:
The car has OBD2 diagnostix. Scan the engine computer for codes. Report back.

Reactions: wtd
Back