Mutual Funds and Brokers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Vanguard flagship representative called me twice, left a voicemail offering to talk to me about investment 'guidance' and left his phone number. I didn't call him back.

Of course they are commission based advice.

Crazy ER (fees) will eat up market gains.

I have the Voyager Select account and don't pay for the advice. As a practical matter whether you are voyager or flagship the "different" representative is what "hat" he/she is wearing at the time..lol

I split my company 401K between the funds available in the plan (smallest chunk, managed by outside asset managers) and using several Vanguard (biggest chunk)funds (I can use anybody I choose but I really like Vanguard's funds w/Admiral share class). Very pleased with the Vanguard chunk! I use mostly their index type funds.

In my experience, brokers are a waste of money. When they steer you toward a stock, they make money, even if you lose.

Be careful.

I have been with Vanguard for 40+ years. Never a problem.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I split my company 401K between the funds available in the plan (smallest chunk, managed by outside asset managers) and using several Vanguard (biggest chunk)funds (I can use anybody I choose but I really like Vanguard's funds w/Admiral share class). Very pleased with the Vanguard chunk! I use mostly their index type funds.

Do you do etf's?

Originally Posted By: Al

Do you do etf's?

No, I just keep it plain vanilla: VTSAX, VFIAX, VSMAX for example.

I consolidated all stuff with Fidelity and have been very satisfied. I opened TDAmeritrade, Schwab and eTrade accounts to buy ETFs commission free. When I retire, I'll transfer all those ETFs to Fidelity.

Fidelity has I-Shares ETFs commission free. I now have everything with Fidelity and am generally happy, but thinking of going to Schwab since they have $4.95 trades and a much larger selection of commission free ETFs. They have some great commission free ETFs like Powershares low volatility SP500.

I previously used Optionshouse but their customer service and performance degraded.

Last edited:

No, I just keep it plain vanilla: VTSAX, VFIAX, VSMAX for example.

Yea at .06% expense..really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back