mustang with havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched to 5w-20 regular havoline dino oil from royal purple "synthetic" 5w-20. My car likes it better. More Moly and it is a little thinner. The havoline has better numbers and is a group 4. I will post an oil change analysis after 3000 miles and show that this can handle a hard working V-8 sports car.

First of all
welcome.gif
to BITOG.

The Havoline is a fine product for sure but I believe you will find if it's a dino oil it is Group II or II+, and if it is Havoline Synthetic it is Group III. The last time I checked with Chevron all of their synthetic automotive products were indeed Group III. This however does not take away from the quality of the product.

Yes I get confused alot like when my girlfriend says "let's go to bed" and then just wants to sleep.
What is the GF mean?

WOW... Havoline is now better than Royal Purple in 5W-20 dino?

What do you mean by "car likes it better"? There's no proof moly is any better than the non-moly additive in other oils. Also no proof until the car ages than a thin 5W-20 dino is good for the longetivity of any Mustang-type vehicle.

We will have to wait for analysis since subjective impressions can be deceptive. Mr Happy you said you intended to have the Havoline analyzed when you're through with it. Do you have a RP analysis to compare it to?

I'd be very curious to see the comparison.

- Glenn

I just dumped the old royal purple, no UOA time or money spent on that. This site is about opinions and mine is that my car runs a little smoother with the Havoline. So take it with a grain of salt. Royal Purple is still a great oil that will give you some extra horsepower. I have more than I need, and am just trying this stuff out. Thanks to you all that posted UOA's on the Havoline. Now drink one for me and enjoy yout turkey day holiday

I think sometimes people truly believe a UOA is the only way to honestly believe in how an oil's doing - I believe it plays a part in interpretating, but I don't believe it's everything.

If you truly "know" a vehicle, have been the sole owner for quite some time, and have put the many miles on it, I believe you have an overall sense in how it feels, sounds, runs. A specific oil may be proclaimed as having the best sound, wear numbers and feel, but that doesn't mean that it's the best for every engine, climate, driving style.

Some people just "know" when an oil feels right, sure there maybe a "better" oil out there, just as I'm sure there maybe a better diet out there then all of us are consuming - while sitting in front of the keyboard
lol.gif

Come on, now, how many of you are sitting here eating a candy bar; smoking a cigarette; drinking a beer?
cheers.gif
tongue.gif
I'm sure there are much better "lubricants"
wink.gif
we could be providing to our own hearts; drivetrain.

Go with your instincts, save some money, and take that sweet car out for a cruise!
burnout.gif

I would have a very, VERY hard time thinking that Royal Purple (a true group 4) synthetic, would give less than stellar service. Your car may have a dislike for it, but I would dare say you are in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back