Mustang auto dipstick removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever remove the transmission dipstick from a 02 Mustang GT? I have the Ford service manuals and it literally says remove bolt. I can’t even see the bolt from all the stuff in the way. There must be something I’m missing here. I need to remove it so I can take the valve cover off.

Any help is appreciated.

Its probably bolted to one of the bellhousing bolts. Look on the tube for a tab/bracket welded to it. Thats where its bolted. From underneath is likely your best bet

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Another better idea from Ford to help the DIY.

Please name which manufacturer gives a rip about DIYers and designs anything with them in mind? Every vehicle I've owned in the past 20 years has had something that makes you say what the heck were they thinking...

OP, This Youtube video isn't very good but it shows where the bolt is on a 4.6: dipstick bolt ,skip to 1:10.

It shows one of the top bolts in the bell housing in the service manual. I think I’m going to have to take the mid pipe off. Arg. I see old broken rusty bolts in my future....

By the looks of the video you should be able to get your hand in there.

Edit: I just went out to my Y2K Mustang 4.6 and I can get my fingers on the head of the bolt. The easiest way to get this will probably be a ratcheting box end wrench or maybe a 1/4" ratchet with the correct size shallow well socket(looks like an 8mm or 5/16, which is basically the same size).

Last edited:
Transmission dipstick. Not the engine oil dipstick. It pops out over the right valve cover so it has to be removed otherwise there isn’t enough clearance.

Google hasn’t helped me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back