Murray uses oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20 plus year old Murray riding mower 12 hp. still runs great but use 1/2 dipstick of oil every time I mow. Will any (stop oil burning additive) work on this motor? if so what type/brand how much etc. Or any other tips. It's not that big of a deal just thought I would try to stop it. Thanks.

What kind of oil are you presently using in this mower? I would try something like Mobil 1 High Mileage oil, in either the 10W30 or 10W40 formulation. Another good choice might be Castrol Syntec 5W50. The M1 might be especially good in cleaning out the ring packs and thereby reducing oil consumption. Then again, your 20+ year old engine just might be worn out.

On an old lawn tractor mounted flat head like this, I'd just use the cheapest house brand 15w40 I could find. It will burn off slower than a 30wt, offer excellent protection and possibly clean things up. No sense in wasting an expensive synthetic on this pc of OPE.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
On an old lawn tractor mounted flat head like this, I'd just use the cheapest house brand 15w40 I could find. It will burn off slower than a 30wt, offer excellent protection and possibly clean things up. No sense in wasting an expensive synthetic on this pc of OPE.

Joel

+1
If you are looking for a summer project, you could get an oversize piston and rings from Ebay. Might get you another 10-15 years out of it for around $50.

1999nick said:
What kind of oil are you presently using in this mower? I would try something like Mobil 1 High Mileage oil, in either the 10W30 or 10W40 formulation. Another good choice might be Castrol Syntec 5W50. The M1 might be especially good in cleaning out the ring packs and thereby reducing oil consumption. Then again, your 20+ year old engine just might be worn out. [/quot Been using wal-mart supertech 10w30

Originally Posted By: RangerJ
Been using wal-mart supertech 10w30

Yeah, that's too thin in such an old engine. Try a 15W-40 from whatever brand you prefer and go from there. You might need to experiment with a few grades (30W, 40W, etc) to see what works best. I'm sure you'll find out quickly if one grade works better than another.

Let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back