murray cutting deck spindle & pulley shaft ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a murray 38" riding mower circa 1997 that i got for free. Cutting deck was seized. I ripped it apart today. The shafts that go through the deck spindles were seized, but i was able to pop them out. Two bolts broke off in one spindle, each spindle has 5 bolts that hold it to the deck. For those knowledgeable about cheap riding mowers, how normal is it for these things to need maintenance and rebuilding? The spindle it looks like has no means of lubrication, and from what i can tell has a small bushing that floats around inside it but it is not a bearing, best i can tell it's a spacer. Is it worth buying new spindles, or should i just clean these up and grease the shafts?

It is worth a try at cleaning them up and adding grease to the parts when putting them back together.

You wont be able to add a lot but work as much in as you can.

You should also be able to get the shafts without buying the whole outfit.The shafts should cost less than $20.00 a piece,that is a lot cheaper than than buying the whole unit for each blade.

My Dad has had these type mowers sold under different names through the years and for the most part the spindle units are **non-serviceable** as they have sealed ball bearings.

Been quite a while since he had to change one of them, but they were not crazy expensive to replace as a unit (
Hope this helps!

i asked just before looking at it again. they have press fit bearings into them. one is seized, and there's really no way to remove them since they're pressed in on each side. I'm finding replacements on the web with zerk's at least, so i guess i'll get replacements. The shafts and pulleys are still usable.

We usually push out the shafts and change bearing's with std. automotive units by size. We always put grease fittings in the housings and if you want take out the inner seals as it does grease easier. They last pretty good after that. To take them out you should be able to warm the housings up and take a long punch through the center from the other side and knock out the bearings.

thanks, i'll mess with them when i get a chance.

when you say warm the housing, you mean with a torch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back