Munro recommends the Mustang Mach-E

I'm sure you know Teslas are incredibly slippery. The Model 3 has a drag coefficient of 0.23.
The new Model S is the world's most aerodynamic production car, with a coefficient of drag that's just 0.208.
That should help the battery range during long highway use. Smaller the Cd, the less required HP to overcome the aerodynamic drag, which is the majority of where the power is going to move the car while at a steady speed.

I'm sure you know Teslas are incredibly slippery. The Model 3 has a drag coefficient of 0.23.
The new Model S is the world's most aerodynamic production car, with a coefficient of drag that's just 0.208.

The new Vette is 0.32.

From Porsche Media:
The drag coefficient of the 911 Turbo S varies depending on the aerodynamic setting. The most efficient configuration with the minimum cd value of 0.33 is achieved with closed flaps and retracted front and rear spoilers.
The difference though for compromise of look and appeal Porsche looks superior. I am unclear if anyone thinks a Tesla is an appealing vehicle on looks alone.

The new Vette is 0.32.

From Porsche Media:
The drag coefficient of the 911 Turbo S varies depending on the aerodynamic setting. The most efficient configuration with the minimum cd value of 0.33 is achieved with closed flaps and retracted front and rear spoilers.
But how much downforce while doing 175 mph does the Tesla have? Formula 1 cars spend millions of dollars every year and have a .7 or so drag coefficient at best. For some cars it’s more about staying on the ground at 175 mph than aerodynamic sliperiness.

The difference though for compromise of look and appeal Porsche looks superior. I am unclear if anyone thinks a Tesla is an appealing vehicle on looks alone.
There is no doubt, Porsches are drop dead gorgeous cars. And incredible engineering marvels.
The new Taycan will knock you out!
Personally, I find the Model S and Model 3 beautiful. The Model X and Model Y, not so much.
And from a performance standpoint, the Teslas are simply amazing.
How many Porsches (and at what price) can keep up with a Model 3 Performance? Not very many.
How many Porsches (and at what price) can keep up with a Model S Plaid? None.

Porsche used to use the slogan, "form follows function". Here's a Taycan Turbo we spotted on El Camino Real in Santa Clara. We were messing with them in the Model 3 (notice the hood of our car), just for fun. What a beautiful car! Man it was quick!
1623769225325.png

Last edited:
But how much downforce while doing 175 mph does the Tesla have? Formula 1 cars spend millions of dollars every year and have a .7 or so drag coefficient at best. For some cars it’s more about staying on the ground at 175 mph than aerodynamic sliperiness.
F1 cars are not driven on the street. I suggest this is an apples to oranges comparison.
Street driven cars use aerodynamics for fuel efficiency and driveability, right?

The Model S Plaid uses a Cheetah mode for high speed blasts, focusing on proper dynamics including downforce.

Last edited:
F1 cars are not driven on the street. I suggest this is an apples to oranges comparison.
Street driven cars use aerodynamics for fuel efficiency and driveability, right?
The word is hyperbole. Perhaps Porsche can explain it better.

Yikes!!!!!!!! This poor guy really struggled with charging issues on his 1000 mile road trip.

That was eye opening. Gas would be cheaper with a lot of cars and enjoy the actual trip a lot more imo. I don’t like his impatience, assumptions of fault, and hyper activity, but that’s because he is in a different age group I guess. I couldn’t watch all of it. The car gets good reviews on being a car it seems. I dont think his mother or someone like me would have had any big problems at all. First stop, take the 90 minutes and charge it all the way. Relax a little. You know if Teslas are all over, the Tesla chargers are not going to be waiting empty for you to drive up to every time. You have to wait, it won’t kill you.🦦

What the Mustang video confirms to me is the rate is about 40 cents/kwh out on the road. I thought maybe it was a local price to me. That's a lot. That's all I got out of it and the Mustang is a good car to drive.

In analyzing my standard routes using A Better Route Planner (ABRP) any trip using the EA network is usually double or more expensive than Teslas supercharging network and more expensive than driving my ICE vehicles.

The current value in EVs is all about charging at home to cover your daily chores where possible. Using public fast charging is going to be expensive for generic EVs until competition becomes much better. But this is where Tesla has recognised the long game by avoiding the attraction of substantially profiting from their Supercharger network.

Back