Munro recommends the Mustang Mach-E

I really like the looks of the outside, but that stupid big computer screen attached to the dash is butt ugly. That in itself would turn me away.

Size wise, how does it compare to the Bolt, VW, Niro, etc? Is it as small as they are? I've driven the Bolt and its SMALL.

So he drove it for a few minutes, but didn't check out any of the electronics, features, etc.?

I guess we'll need to wait for that teardown.

I really like the looks of the outside, but that stupid big computer screen attached to the dash is butt ugly. That in itself would turn me away.

Size wise, how does it compare to the Bolt, VW, Niro, etc? Is it as small as they are? I've driven the Bolt and its SMALL.
The screen is actually pretty nice. I prefer the vertical layout to the Model 3's horizontal one. I'd highly recommend driving one, you may not hate it as much as you think.

Ergonomically better or not, I agree that the screen looks out of place being vertical and with the knob. Tesla had no issue recognising this. Not that it'll ever be sold down here in NZ but a criticism I hear about the Mach-e is the ground clearance. The battery hangs down quite low, with blacked out edges to hide that issue. But otherwise I think Ford did a great job.

I've watched many Sandy videos and I've becoming disappointed at his inability to organise his thoughts, his clarity of speech, and his overzealous dazzlement of anything either made of aluminium or by Tesla. His first drive of the ID4 was the last straw as his unique inability to understand the menus and lack of patience reveals his limitations as a impartial reviewer of modern technology.

This new Sandy video is fascinating. He wisely brings in two automotive electrical engineers to discuss and compare at a high level the network control architectures of the ID4, Tesla Model Y and Mach-E - a subject he readily admits he knows very little about. But rather than simply overseeing the agenda and expertly extracting the best out of his guests, Sandy cannot help but apply his extensive shop-floor mechanical engineering experience to every point under discussion.
Going in, he dislikes the ID4 because he couldn't understand the menus at first glance and he loves the Mach-E because it has forged and cast aluminium suspension underpinnings. See if you can spot his biases.
This is why having a structured formal education is so important - so you can understand your own limitations and work in a team with other disciplines at a level that respects their specialities and expertise.

Last edited:
It looks like the inside of a German washing machine minus the bricks on springs to stop it bouncing its way across the floor.
It's just missing the agitator in the frunk basket ... could do some laundry while driving. 😄

The Mach-E is a "tweener" split between being a modified parts bin car vs a complete clean sheet design.

The number of parts matters tremendously when it comes to Ford being able to make a profit on these cars or simply creating a loss leader in the space to keep from losing further ground in the BEV space.

Fewer parts equal faster and easier assembly, maintenance and weight & lower cost.

Last edited:
Ford is likely losing thousands per sale, hopefully reaching a break even point.
That's the price of development. Of course, they will need more continuous improvement because they are using more generic, off the shelf parts.
It's a compromise.

Ford is going to have a tough go at this.

People have gotten used to being able to buy easily and with little drama and the dealer model doesn't stack up well, and in particular Fords management of it with ridiculous markups, and certain dealers being unable to service the product taking months to get units back to owners. Every thing people dislike about that model rears its head with Ford and the Mach E.

The Mach E forum is a poorly run site and a detriment to the brand vs. the asset it could be, by either banning or moderating into silence anyone having a critical discussion about the product or reticence because of a checkered past with Ford, bending like the shape of water to like or dislike feedback based it supporting or ciriticising the model vs learning from it. Munro is an example of they where they loved, but now hate him, proffering little to nothing in the way of detailed discussion about the findings, but instead resorting to personal criticism of Sandys looks or expressions in a photo. Its juvenile. Anyone thats ever manufactured anything knows the simpler you can make it the better off you almost always are.

Last edited:

After actually seeing one at local dealer, a couple weeks ago, I take back what I said about liking the looks of it. Thought it looked downright homely. As someone said....'' parts bin". Didn't even bother to look inside.

After actually seeing one at local dealer, a couple weeks ago, I take back what I said about liking the looks of it. Thought it looked downright homely. As someone said....'' parts bin". Didn't even bother to look inside.
Really? I have seen several running around in the area. The front is pretty bad, the side is fine and I liked the back of the Mach-E.
I have not checked it out up close; I have heard it is small, dunno.

1623708479121.jpg

Last edited:
I think its a good looking short, (all the noses are weird on BEV's) but the downside is the aero is weak - this is going to take a toll on on long highway trips, the rig has a really big battery which helps and makes in town highway range really good, but when it comes to Mile per KWH its not that efficient.

What the ford fanboys focus on is EPA rating and that the tesla falls short of its rating, they do but in the case of the new 3 its by like 10 miles. when what they should be focusing on is M/KWH.

The rig falls down pretty hard when it comes multi charge trip to door to door times failing to charge at the rate the Telsas do which makes little sense to me given its bigger battery, but I believe pouch style batteries are always concerned with swelling so they employ a more conservative charge curve and apparently it will only hold 150KW for a few minutes before coming down to 100.

Having longer range only helps on the first leg out if that, and after that it falls behind every charge. The more charges the larger the door to door delta between cars. I ran a scenario using ABRP and its an hour longer each direction than in a model y on my major trip.

It isnt much bigger than a model 3 in anything but trunk space though.
I went to car and driver who specs out the sizes the wheelbases and they are pretty close.

I think its a good looking short, (all the noses are weird on BEV's) but the downside is the aero is weak - this is going to take a toll on on long highway trips, the rig has a really big battery which helps and makes in town highway range really good, but when it comes to Mile per KWH its not that efficient.
I'm sure you know Teslas are incredibly slippery. The Model 3 has a drag coefficient of 0.23.
The new Model S is the world's most aerodynamic production car, with a coefficient of drag that's just 0.208.

The new Vette is 0.32.

From Porsche Media:
The drag coefficient of the 911 Turbo S varies depending on the aerodynamic setting. The most efficient configuration with the minimum cd value of 0.33 is achieved with closed flaps and retracted front and rear spoilers.

Back